Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I like the look of that....not sure Targett is fit just yet.

I don't. Lots of good players, but very often you need to give players space to impress on the pitch. Playing a 3-4 world class centrebacks doesn't really mean they will outperform 2 world class centrebacks. Or the team will do better in any way or form. 

We just have to accept we got good bench options now and that's how it should be. 

Personally I think Nakamba was bought to cover two different roles, both McGinn and be an option at DMC anchor if we need that. There might come matches where Nakamba tearing it up in an anchor role is a better option that Douglas Luiz for instance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't. Lots of good players, but very often you need to give players space to impress on the pitch. Playing a 3-4 world class centrebacks doesn't really mean they will outperform 2 world class centrebacks. Or the team will do better in any way or form. 

We just have to accept we got good bench options now and that's how it should be. 

Personally I think Nakamba was bought to cover two different roles, both McGinn and be an option at DMC anchor if we need that. There might come matches where Nakamba tearing it up in an anchor role is a better option that Douglas Luiz for instance. 

I don't think there is necessarily any pre-conceived idea's of who is playing....some may have a bit of history that secures his loyalty, but they have standards to maintain.

its about form, knocks, suspensions and opposition.

Its all about competition for places now, and will get even more competitive as we move forward......He will pick his best 11 for the task in hand based on the criteria, I have previously mentioned.

Edited by TRO

Nakamba4Eva not Wakanda4Eva 

He played amazing I thought, for his height he's a pit bull on the pitch, he was everywhere and couldn't see a thing wrong with him.

With players like the ones we have, if we stay up we will no doubt be refining our squad with more players like him.

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Could Marvelous play along side Douglas as the two deeper central midfielders in a 5, giving one or the other licence to get further forwards when were in possession?

i think if we played a 4-2-3-1, with Nakamba/Luiz as the 2 x DM, then 3 of  Grealish, McGinn, Trez, or Jota as the 3 x AMs, could possibly work.

not sure how they would both fit in to the current 3 man midfield unless Grealish moved out left as kind of an inside forward like Jota does on the right, then use the FBs for your width (would work with Guilber on the right, but not Taylor on the left, so would need Targett for that prob)., in that scenario could have Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn as the central 3 mids, then Grealish / Jota as the inside wingers, and they wouldnt really be "wingers", as both really like to cut inside, would defo be heavily dependent on the FBs creating width.

but, tbh, i think Trezegeut will be a big player ofr us this season, so would prefer him to not be dropped, same for Jota.....

Nice problem to have though if Nakamba does well, tbh i can see him convering a lot for McGinn, Luiz etc, for bans, injuries, subs, so sure he will get chance to prove himself in the Prem.

If you think about it, if Luiz performs amazingly this season, Man City will prob activate the buy back, then we would have a ready made, fully integrated replacement in Nakamba, maybe thats the plan all along?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

I'd rather have Luiz in the deep role and have Nakamba and McGinn going box to box. 

Only problem is fitting Grealish in with that. Nakamba looked like he was only really playing half of his game yesterday, felt he had another gear in him but was being reserved. 

Last 20 mins, Hourihane went and sat and Marvelous was unleashed. I think that's with a view to moving Jack wide maybe late in games (which was also trialled last night) and bringing Marvelous on for one of the wingers.

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd rather have Luiz in the deep role and have Nakamba and McGinn going box to box. 

Only problem is fitting Grealish in with that. Nakamba looked like he was only really playing half of his game yesterday, felt he had another gear in him but was being reserved. 

I think if Grealish isn't worth his place, he won't start.

But right now, he's definitely a better option starting for us than Marvelous. Depends on the opposition maybe going forwards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think if Grealish isn't worth his place, he won't start.

But right now, he's definitely a better option starting for us than Marvelous. Depends on the opposition maybe going forwards.

Or go narrow....

Luiz

Nakamba - McGinn

Grealish

Trez - Wez

Get width from the fullbacks...

Edited by PieFacE

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Or go narrow....

Luiz

Nakamba - McGinn

Grealish

Trez - Wez

Like the idea myself, but Deano loves his wingers. 

And we'll have to wait until Targett is fit to try it definitely :D

Like though of Trez as a nippy forward, bet he'd be a nightmare to mark. 

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Would say he's much more in the Makelele mould than Milner, but ye. 

It's only crew though, so we should probably keep that in mind. 

I don't think he played anything like Makelele. Makelele made a career out of hunting the ball down, winning it back and passing it two yards. Marvelous is clearly much more dynamic than that. 

Makelele wouldn't have allowed their goal to happen though so, swings and roundabouts. 

Agree on the level of opposition, hence trying to judge the player on what I've seen and what of that I think will be transferable at a higher level. It is entirely possible to scout a player and filter the performance to get an idea of what they might be like against better opposition. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i think if we played a 4-2-3-1, with Nakamba/Luiz as the 2 x DM, then 3 of  Grealish, McGinn, Trez, or Jota as the 3 x AMs, could possibly work.

not sure how they would both fit in to the current 3 man midfield unless Grealish moved out left as kind of an inside forward like Jota does on the right, then use the FBs for your width (would work with Guilber on the right, but not Taylor on the left, so would need Targett for that prob)., in that scenario could have Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn as the central 3 mids, then Grealish / Jota as the inside wingers, and they wouldnt really be "wingers", as both really like to cut inside, would defo be heavily dependent on the FBs creating width.

but, tbh, i think Trezegeut will be a big player ofr us this season, so would prefer him to not be dropped, same for Jota.....

Nice problem to have though if Nakamba does well, tbh i can see him convering a lot for McGinn, Luiz etc, for bans, injuries, subs, so sure he will get chance to prove himself in the Prem.

If you think about it, if Luiz performs amazingly this season, Man City will prob activate the buy back, then we would have a ready made, fully integrated replacement in Nakamba, maybe thats the plan all along?

I think he’d have to have a mind blowing season for Man City to activate the clause. Even then the player surely has a say in where he goes? Only time will tell, but if he does that well I’m sure we will have a great season too and so perhaps we might do a deal to get rid of the clause. 

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Or go narrow....

Luiz

Nakamba - McGinn

Grealish

Trez - Wez

Slightly OT but I think Wesley would be much better with closer support given he likes to drop deep, so this formation would be playing to our strengths imo. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Even then the player surely has a say in where he goes?  

I’m sure they do, and let’s be honest he’d jump at the chance of rejoining city (not that I blame him), but we’ll worry about that down the line 

Edited by mikeyp102

The assumption being made is that Luiz is only a DM, I think he has also played more advanced in a CM role. He has a good shot and also a variety of passing, he is also calm in possession and turns the ball over well. I think there is no reason why Luiz couldn’t play in front of Marvelous liberating Jack and John. It would also leat us play with two up front when we get a shit-hot new striker to play with Wesley in January.

Â