Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Poor performance but that penalty was ridiculous. The strategy of putting your best guy 5th looks genius in situations like that.

Yes, great penalty, and he was so poised and calm before it, incredible 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Yes, great penalty, and he was so poised and calm before it, incredible 

Precisely. I’m more nervous brushing my teeth than he was for that penalty. 

Ice water in his veins. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

WTH has happened to Doug? He used to be so good, now he's been very average for some time.

As soon as Alicia booty comes back .. his trajectory gets a bit cack.

On a serious note, a few of us have been intimated he me just be knackered, out of steam.

Until recently I think he is one of the players who has played pretty much every single game . League, Cups, and Europe... Except when suspended etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Anybody notice how the ref was chatting at him as he waited to take the pen and Dougie keeps telling him to blow the whistle.

He was AEG like though.  Never any question that he wasn't going to stick his penalty in the back of the net.  Just like you knew that Emi was going to save at least one penalty but probably more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

I think the bigger issue is that he's having to cover the whole of central midfield because whilst Tielemans and McGinn have plenty of positives points, defensively they are pretty bad (or more correctly they're pretty bad when they are defending close to our own box).  He looks so much better when Kamara plays because it lifts that burden off him.  So he's doing more of the dirty work and less of more eye-catching stuff.  The midfield is less balanced and I think that puts more pressure on Luiz.

We seriously need another DCM to cover for Kamara and at times to play alongside Kamara and Luiz so that we can absorb more pressure and then hit teams fast on the break.

All of this. 

I think it's clear that Emery doesn't think Tim is up to it either, so we definitely need at least one CDM and possibly an additional youngster in that position. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Anybody notice how the ref was chatting at him as he waited to take the pen and Dougie keeps telling him to blow the whistle.

The ref was standing way too close all pen shootout and even moved forward towards the spot as Luiz was on his run up. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Seeing his miss again, he really should have scored that.

Saw someone last night say he lacked composure, I'm thinking the opposite I think he's too relaxed and too casual, thinks he's scored before he has 

Still a great save though, got to score but take nothing away from the keeper 

I don't agree with the comments about him not being so good for the second half of the season. His worst run of form has coincided with a positional change to account for the Kamara injury. We all saw his best form when he can play slightly further forward. Whenever Kamara is back, or if we sign a good DM in the summer, I fully expect Dougie's form to improve again.

Still a top player, Emery obviously trusts him, and the persistent Arsenal rumours show he must at least be a very decent player.

That being said, I do think that Tielemans was signed last summer in case Luiz left, and even if he did leave this summer a midfield 3 of Youri, Kamara, and McGinn is still very good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

The ref was standing way too close all pen shootout and even moved forward towards the spot as Luiz was on his run up. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. 

The ref really suffered from main character syndrome all night long. Thankfully it worked in our favour for Cash's goal. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Saw someone last night say he lacked composure, I'm thinking the opposite I think he's too relaxed and too casual, thinks he's scored before he has 

Don't think it was composure, he was too composed if anything.  He tried to place it in the middle of the goal, when all he had to do was hit it to the corner and the keeper was never getting it.  Luiz gave the keeper a chance (and was a great save) by hitting it centrally.  Am I the only one thinking he could have volleyed it? or was it too high?

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep absolutely too relaxed, I think he thought it was an open goal and any contact is enough to put it in. 
All credit to the keeper like you say

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

Yeah that was weird… but he was weird all game tbf…

52 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I don't agree with the comments about him not being so good for the second half of the season. His worst run of form has coincided with a positional change to account for the Kamara injury. We all saw his best form when he can play slightly further forward. Whenever Kamara is back, or if we sign a good DM in the summer, I fully expect Dougie's form to improve again.

Still a top player, Emery obviously trusts him, and the persistent Arsenal rumours show he must at least be a very decent player.

That being said, I do think that Tielemans was signed last summer in case Luiz left, and even if he did leave this summer a midfield 3 of Youri, Kamara, and McGinn is still very good.

I don' think that's a good enough midfield at all. And Kamara could be gone until 2025.

Â