Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

The ref was standing way too close all pen shootout and even moved forward towards the spot as Luiz was on his run up. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. 

Unbelievably unprofessional by the ref; he was basically inline with the post for Dougie's penalty, and then as you say started moving closer during the run up. Would have easily been visible and distracting to Dougie out the corner of his eye

• Like 2

He is a fiery bloke.But when it comes to penalites he seems like he is the calmest player on the pitch.  Deep breaths, total concentration. Totally still. No outside influences. He is as good as Martinez in those moments. I wonder if he uses a psychologist for his penalites as he waits for so long after the whistle goes. 

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He is a fiery bloke.But when it comes to penalites he seems like he is the calmest player on the pitch.  Deep breaths, total concentration. Totally still. No outside influences. He is as good as Martinez in those moments. I wonder if he uses a psychologist for his penalites as he waits for so long after the whistle goes. 

I reckon all those hours playing COD paid off! 

Isn't it just common sense that he's dropped off form because our very good DM next to him is out injured and the system/style has had to change a bit.  

I think any idea of us selling him or being okay with it is absolutely criminal. Once Kamara is back or we sign actual DM cover over the summer to play that role, Dougie will be free and back to his best again.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, thefeet1980 said:

Emi deserves all the plaudits, but it’s Dougie’s pen that I keep watching…

Was going to say the same thing. Dougie was the key to winning the shootout. The pressure fully ramped up in sudden death, momentum had swung back to Lille, ref trying to put him off…absolute ballz of steel. Also hate off to Unai for having him on the 5th one

His miss was reminiscent of Trossards against us. The most difficult aspect was the fact it looked easier to score. It does funny things to the mind. 

Both players ended up erring on the side of caution. Get it on target at all costs.

But but attempts meant the keeper had a chance.  And in both cases, the keepers have made really good saves.

if Luiz and Trossard took a bit more risk and didn't aim for the middle of the goal, the keepers stand no chance. But they'd have risked missing the target totally. They played the percentage game and lost because the keepers are both exceptional.

The composure for the penalty though, ice in his veins. Hopefully that new contract is just around the corner!

5 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Never thought I'd ask, but does he get back into the team?

Yes of course. We aren't going to play the same 11 week in and week out. I'd put money on him coming back firing, just like McGinn did after his ban. 

Certainly he comes straight back in. I imagine for Diaby but it could easily be Bailey against Chelsea if he is injured or Rogers if we want to put mcginn on the left. We are gaging for depth right now especially with Zaniolos injury. 

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

We're a better team without him, on current form at least. No doubt about it.

The sample size is far too small to jump to conclusions like that to be honest. 

• Like 4

I think all 3 play Saturday with Mcginn further forward and Diaby or Bailey out right

Poor discipline in first place but 6 points and a couple of games off and maybe like Mcginn its just kept them a little bit fresher

I think Mcginn has been fantastic in the double pivot. He's stronger and better tackler than Luiz. If Luiz plays it's further forward or Tielemans further forward imo.  Rogers can't be left out either. 

Brilliant player, keep him at all costs.

He has to play a little more conservatively when Kamara is out, and that just means you take a little of his flair away. 

Still a good player, but he's not going to be able to affect attacking as much without his insurance policy behind him.  

We'll be in 4 major tournaments next season, we need as many quality players as we can get to go deep into 3 tournaments. 

• Like 3

Â