Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

There’s talk about this buyback clause, but does anyone know if there actually is one? I’ve read articles where Man City fans are saying stuff like, I hope there’s a buy back clause. So until it’s announced officially that we’ve got him and even then I doubt we’ll get all the details, it’s all just speculation. Albeit very exciting and from some of the sources mentioned, fairly reliable speculation. 

How does the buy back alleviate the work permit problem for Man City? 

Don't foreign players need a new WP each time they change clubs? 

In which case to qualify for  a WP he would need to be sold back for a massive fee. 

Just now, Ponky said:

In which case to qualify for  a WP he would need to be sold back for a massive fee. 

I think the transfer to us would gain him ‘points’ towards the permit which would enable him to get it.

Then he’s our player, but if he does well they can buy him back for a certain amount.

Just now, Ponky said:

I've been thinking on this one and I could be wrong but I think its a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Pep seemingly wanted this lad last season but they couldn't get a WP but suddenly a transfer for £15m helps change that just as it worked for Wesley.

In the event of a player not being eligible there is an exceptions panel, if clubs can demonstrate the player is an exceptional talent who adds experience or value to their side then they can get a permit.

I'd imagine its easier for him to get one after a £15m move to a PL club than when in City's reserves.

With regards to moving back to City I'm not sure if he would need a new one or not but if we manage to get one via the exceptions panel then you'd expect them to be able to do so also on his return.

13 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I think they are 2 different issues, but I may be wrong.

My understanding is that Douglas Luiz permit application will go in front of the "exceptions panel" and they will decide.Aston Villa's current squad make up will make it easier for DL to satisfy the panel in one aspect of the points system that Man City would struggle with, based on them having a much stronger squad base....The fact he has played first team football in Spain will also help his cause, that was not the case when Man city applied at the start of last Season.

I don't think Man City really want to sell him, so the alleged Buy Back clause is an insurance policy for them, but I am not entirely sure if it is related in any way to the work permit, other than to enhance his worth.

not sure on the second point.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

I'm sad that if he performs like a boss we probably won't have him next season.

If he helps us to a mid table finish we will have about £150m to spend next summer on his replacement. That should do the trick, and for that reason I am in. 

• Like 1

Reading up more on him,  makes me think this will be on man city's terms, albeit with us still getting something in return.  Worst case scenario is option to buy back for  a few extra million covering his wages... even then:

- if he can dominate a midfield battle against Real Madrid, he'll do wonders for us this season, when it is critical we stay up. 

- he's Brazilian and will 100% help wesley settle into things at villa

- it gives us some good will with man City who own half the best youth talent in Europe (Chelsea the other half) and probably gives us insights to them that other teams won't have. 

- it means the 30m we don't have to spend on Phillips can be used elsewhere

That's worst case scenario.  Still not bad in my books and definitely not short term.

Edit: for balance, the negatives of worst case:

- we have to find a replacement next season (well we're replacing half the team this season, needing to replace 1 guaranteed next year isn't the be all and end all)

- we're helping man city develop/ get better/ get richer... (we're not in their league at the moment, we will be, but not yet. Plus they could find someone else willing to do this and then they'd get the above worst case benefits)

Edited by MrBlack
Balance?
  • Like 2

A bit cautious about this one. I doubt he wants to be here and we are just playing the role of one of City’s many feeder clubs. As others have said, this looks like a glorified loan but if City want him back it means he’s done well. Hardly building for the future though is it...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Reading up more on him,  makes me think this will be on man city's terms, albeit with us still getting something in return.  Worst case scenario is option to buy back for  a few extra million covering his wages... even then:

- if he can dominate a midfield battle against Real Madrid, he'll do wonders for us this season, when it is critical we stay up. 

- he's Brazilian and will 100% help wesley settle into things at villa

- it gives us some good will with man City who own half the best youth talent in Europe (Chelsea the other half) and probably gives us insights to them that other teams won't have. 

- it means the 30m we don't have to spend on Phillips can be used elsewhere

That's worst case scenario.  Still not bad in my books and definitely not short term.

Some guy on Twitter says 'he's heard' that the buy-back is around £65m :lol:

I mean. Why do people believe this tripe? Or think that others will believe it?

Then someone else went on to say "I've heard it's a low buy-back clause, but I don't know why Villa would accept that. We're not City's bitch anymore".

We've just got promoted, and now some fans expect us to be calling the shots in a bargain deal for the league winners' Brazilian midfielder! You can see why a section of our fans let the rest of us down. I imagine these fans will be the same ones complaining when we lose 3-4 games under Smith!

• Like 1

Â