Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Another one who's comfortable with the ball.....is there a pattern emerging at long last.?

Not only comfortable, forward looking aswell. 

We look to be assembling a squad which will play on the front foot. 

At last.

And, in my view, it’s a great approach.

We are in a “mini League” of 8 ( if one is cautious) or 14 ( if one is hopeful !) and, for me, the best way to win 10/14 games against those sides is to play the kind of football we played ( at our best) last season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I know. When are we gonna sign someone who’s biggest asset is knowing how to put wor boots on!

or firing in to row Z......Oh!  for those Halcyon days.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not so sure about that, there’s an element of making sure the lad gets coached properly and in a similar way to how they play. Ok we can only push so hard, but would Pep let him go for 9 months coaching at Steve Bruce’s Newcastle? 

Fair point, but I think a potential Bruce’s Newcastle are the minority right now.

Most teams like to actually get the ball down and play football. If we start getting silly with he buy-back would Pep not be just as happy with Howe’s Bournemouth, Wilder’s Sheffield, Farke’s Norwich, Dyche’s Burnley, Hasenhuttl’s Southampton, Gracia’s Watford or Potter’s Brighton taking him on and coaching him for a year?

• Like 1

Guillem Balague says he is a “top top player” if that’s true that’s all I care about, couldn’t care less about by back clauses etc. If he fits into our style of play and is a significant improvement on what we have there right now than I’m more than happy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Another one who's comfortable with the ball.....is there a pattern emerging at long last.?

you could almost argue that being good on the ball is what makes a good footballer. I mean the sport is about kicking a bloody ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

No, but we will have to buy one (ie.Philips) either this window or subsequent windows, as backup for Luiz, as we do not know when City will exercise their buyback option.

Yes, we will be, and it will be within a certain timeframe as buyback options normally have an expiry date. So, with this remit I'm guessing with this new planning and structure we have in place at the club I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be prepared for that eventuality. Either with a backup stepping up because they have developed to the satisfaction of Smith to be a first team starter (Like Poch does at Spurs very well) or they'll get someone else in. Anyway the short term goal is to stay in this league, we are a year ahead of schedule and we're having the most intriguing window in years. I'm going to enjoy the reality first and foremost, the hypertheticals can be addressed and scrutinised later. UTV. 

Edited by holtend4life
  • Like 1

Buy back clause may be structured in a way that they have first refusal,  rather than guaranteed buy back at their discretion.  If it is the latter, then I trust our owners to have set the bar so high that it will be win:win for us.   Maybe not if his true value is more like 25-30m , but even then I still think we'll be laughing all the way on this one.

If he turns out to be the next Makelele or (to keep it country relevant) Mauro Silva that man city think he's going to be,  they're obviously willing to let us make some money out of it so they can get him with a guaranteed work permit.

Then there's always the possibility he loves the atmosphere here so much he stays ;)

Edited by MrBlack

9 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

you could almost argue that being good on the ball is what makes a good footballer. I mean the sport is about kicking a bloody ball.

If it was Oh ,That simple.

I think we have all seen the over hits, under hits falling over the ball, having to scurry back for a pass, failed trapping.....The sport is more about HOW you kick it, than just kicking it....that's where the distinctions come in IMV.

We ourselves have seen first hand of teams that would favour kicking the opponent than the ball .....remember 9 yellows and  2 reds in The PO semi?.....The championship has its fair share of that.

Maybe , we haven't had GOOD footballers for some time (talking generally, not specifically) That's the reason some of us have remarked on the types we are signing and how pleased we are.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

If it was Oh ,That simple.

I think we have all seen the over hits, under hits falling over the ball, having to scurry back for a pass, failed trapping.....The sport is more about HOW you kick it, than just kicking it....that's where the distinctions come in IMV.

We ourselves have seen first hand of teams that would favour kicking the opponent than the ball .....remember 9 yellows and  2 reds in The PO semi?.....The championship has its fair share of that.

Maybe , we haven't had GOOD footballers for some time (talking generally, not specifically) That's the reason some of us have remarked on the types we are signing and how pleased we are.

well yes, that was kind of my point in jest. a player with good ball control is generally better than one without it. especially at the highest level with better refs and more technical (better) players.

edit: game sense is important too though! :D

Edited by osmark86

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Brazilian footballers at Villa Park are like buses these days :)

I don't want to get carried away here......but these players come out( born) doing keepy uppies.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

well yes, that was kind of my point in jest. a player with good ball control is generally better than one without it. especially at the highest level with better refs and more technical (better) players.

edit: game sense is important too though! :D

There are many ,many aspects that formulate in to a Good Footballer or Good team.....we are just talking about one.

Good ball control is a major asset.....To be signing players that are reputably comfortable with it, is very,very encouraging to me......futhermore it aids and assists our existing players who are also good on the ball and enhances their performances even more.

but yes, I agree with you.

• Like 1

Â