Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Important angle to this signing is that Wesley will have another Brazilian player at the club the same age as him. Will surely help both players settle.

I think this is a great signing if we are also still chasing Phillips, as I have felt for ages that we actually need 2 DM options, especially as we will sometimes want to play 4-2-3-1 rather than our usual 4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1.

• Like 1

I really don’t get the skepticism over the buy back clause. 

We have to remember where we are as a club, we have been in the championship for 3 years. As first year back in premier league, anything finishing above 17 is a bonus. 

We are buying a highly thought of young player from the champions of England. The player is taking a down step to join us, therefore there will be concessions. We are run by savvy businessmen who be ensuring we make a profit from the sale. If city want him back it means he’s done well for us. Even without buy back clauses they could get him back.  

This isn’t unique it happens a lot. Spanish clubs are notorious for putting these clauses in (the directors of City came from Barcelona). Even Manchester United, as the most successful team of the premier league era lost Gerard Pique back to Barcelona for a buy back clause 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

A bit cautious about this one. I doubt he wants to be here and we are just playing the role of one of City’s many feeder clubs. As others have said, this looks like a glorified loan but if City want him back it means he’s done well. Hardly building for the future though is it...

I hear you... but at this point in our transformation, consolidation is building for the future. I’ve mentioned before that if he is that good for us Man City would come back for him clause or not. (I get that we may not get as much for him, but would still profit). 

I think we getting a little too hung up on the potential clause. Any player that performs well for will have teams sniffing regardless, Even signing a contact extension means nothing nowadays other than guaranteeing a larger fee when the big boys come. 

I think even tho our transfer policy is clear and management will do all to stick to it, I think there are going to have to be exceptions here and there for the good of the squad. 

• Like 1

Serious talent this kid. If City are basically selling him to us so we'll do all the heavy lifting with his work permit, couldn't care less and it's like this...If he is as good as we think he is and even if there was no buy back clause they'll get him anyway.

• Like 1

Kalinic

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz

El-Ghazi Grealish Kodija

Wesley

Subs: Steer, Guilbert, Hause, Hourihane, Jota, Hogan

Shaping up nicely... not many more to go

Edited by MrBlack
Quoted Enda but for some reason it didn't work

So long as the buy back is a substantial profit, then there’s no problem with this at all.

Paying fees to loan players with no option to buy is the biggest problem, basically paying for the privilege to give another teams squad players exposure and game time.

Yes we might be forced into selling back at a cut price deal, but quite frankly we’re purchasing at a cut price in the first place. 

Best case scenario is that there clauses stipulating city can’t just buy to immediately sell on for profit.  In which case if he plays brilliant, but not quite world class - they probably wouldn’t want him back.

• Like 1

Seems like this is legit anyway from how widespread it is, quite happy with it as everyone that's actually seen him play more than just his games vs Barca/Madrid is talking him up highly.

Not arsed about the buy-back clause, it's common for any "big" club to insert when selling a young player (I remember the same skepticism when we bought Adama...that went well) and in reality as others have said if we get the level of performance out of him that means Pep will want him back at City then I think we'll probably have done quite well for ourselves all things considered.

2 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Hopefully only a 1 year clause. 

I could see it. For as much as we’re doing Man City a solid, they need us to make this work too. How many other clubs could buy Luiz for 15M and have it be close enough to their record fee to qualify for a work permit? Us, Sheffield, Norwich and maybe Brighton? I expect we’ll use that fact to negotiate a couple of concessions, one of which could be on clause length.

I wonder if this was the sort of deal we were looking to work out for Ampadu too, before they brought Lampard in. 

Our filthy rich owners really need to look at the links man city have with girona and copy them.

From the limited info I know, which could be wrong, if a Brazilian plays in Spain for two years that would allow him to get a work permit in the UK, not sure if that means spanish dual nationality also?!?

If our owners "invested" or had good "links" with a Spanish club we could get ourselves some tasty Brazilians, loan them to our Spanish partner for a couple of years, then either loan, sell or bring them to villa??

Sure there is more too it than this, but I think we need to be careful not to be left behind in all the tricks clubs use these days to get the best talent.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Enda said:

Kalinic

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz

El-Ghazi Grealish Kodija

Wesley

Subs: Steer, Guilbert, Hause, Hourihane, Jota, Hogan.

My biggest fear is that 7-0 victories every week will eventually become extremely boring. 

• Haha 1

Â