Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Genuinely think he would give us a season to try and come straight back up. 

I think he would as well. Depends what sort of bids we get in, we won't be selling him for less than £15.

Engels, Konsa and Hause are all "good" Championship CBs for me. We should have no issues with them. You can definitely batter your way out of the championship with goalscoring.

Douglas Luiz will only get better, he’s young and improving. He’s got a touch of class about him that will shine though as he develops and becomes more consistent. If we do end up relegated, I hope he stays with us. I think he’d come on leaps and bounds in the championship. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He had about 3 quarters of the goal to aim at and put it the only place the defender could get to it.

It was a horrendous miss

It was a miss by someone not used to being in six yard box (his goals all come from outside the box). A striker probably would've taken a touch and waited for defender and keeper to dive and then hit it in the other corner. El Ghazi hit the bar from a similar position in the Leicester game IIRC.

I actually thought Grealish not deciding to shoot a few minutes later was the key miss of the game. All he had to do was curl it past Lloris but chose to cut back to Samatta who was on his heels by the penalty spot for some unknown reason.

Edited by VillaChris

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

It’s an 8/10 chance in my opinion and could be the difference between us staying up or going down. Of course Engels cost us two goals and the high line smith plays is costing us dearly 

How would you rate the Grealish chance just afterwards? I'd say that was easier given it was pretty much the position Son scored the winner from.

Amazed that didn't even make the MOTD cut.

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was a miss by someone not used to being in six yard box (his goals all come from outside the box). A striker probably would've taken a touch and waited for defender and keeper to dive and then hit it in the other corner. El Ghazi hit the bar from a similar position in the Leicester game IIRC.

Was actually not too different than his Watford goal

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How would you rate the Grealish chance just afterwards? I'd say that was easier given it was pretty much the position Son scored the winner from.

Jack should have scored too. Or at least had an attempt on goal. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tom13 said:

On his weaker foot with a keeper and defender to beat? Wasn't that easy IMO.

Played well.

Are you serious? The goalkeeper and defender are on top of each other in the middle of the goal when he hits it, and he aims it at the quarter of the goal that they're covering. Quite why he felt the need to go to ground and try and slide tackle it in is beyond me too. It annoys me because hes talented, and I feel it was a really unnecessary miss.

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

It’s an 8/10 chance in my opinion and could be the difference between us staying up or going down. Of course Engels cost us two goals and the high line smith plays is costing us dearly 

Understat has the Luiz shot at 0.42xG so not quite a sitter, but very close to it. A 4/10 chance. I consider sitters to be chances that have at least more than 0.5xG.

I know that might seem quite low, but its probably because football players tend to miss a lot more good chances than people realize. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

It doesn't worry me that he miss these chances. It worries when players aren't getting chances. That was the main worry with Wesley earlier the season. It's not missing sitters as these could have a lot of factors in them.

Same as Engels mistake, or Mings earlier the season. These are a moment of undoubt or more of thinking what to do after receiving the ball. Then it ends up being a big mistake. I don't think that the ground helped either.

As long as the whole game for a player is improving, putting threat, then no need to worry, they'll get there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It doesn't worry me that he miss these chances. It worries when players aren't getting chances. That was the main worry with Wesley earlier the season. It's not missing sitters as these could have a lot of factors in them.

Same as Engels mistake, or Mings earlier the season. These are a moment of undoubt or more of thinking what to do after receiving the ball. Then it ends up being a big mistake. I don't think that the ground helped either.

As long as the whole game for a player is improving, putting threat, then no need to worry, they'll get there.

Suprising as it is, stats show that Wesley did in fact get chances at a rate of 0.35xG per 90 compared to the average of 0.37xG90 for the average forward. 

Wes didn't get lots of chances, but the chances he did get were of higher quality. Where he failed was his finishing ability(something that earlier in the season people would've claimed was one of his strengths). Think his missed sitter at Newcastle and his missed header against Watford as examples. And in both cases, they were the only chances Wes had the whole game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

its a bit of an odd quirk with footballers though that they would rarely try the same thing three times if they have failed with the first two. Jack had missed his last two shots coming off the left onto his right foot at the edge of the box and you  just knew he wouldn't try it a third time. I don't know if its a conscious or subconscious thing but i've noticed it quite a lot

Edited by TheMelvillan
aprt form Tommy Johnson. (sp?) That dude would have kept shooting from distance til the groundsmen kicked him out at the end of the night

9 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Suprising as it is, stats show that Wesley did in fact get chances at a rate of 0.35xG per 90 compared to the average of 0.37xG90 for the average forward. 

Wes didn't get lots of chances, but the chances he did get were of higher quality. Where he failed was his finishing ability(something that earlier in the season people would've claimed was one of his strengths). Think his missed sitter at Newcastle and his missed header against Watford as examples. And in both cases, they were the only chances Wes had the whole game.

Wes wasn't getting chances as for majority of season he'd barely move after passing the ball (that's even if he'd actually controlled it and laid it off in first place). Just before he got injured he was slowly improving that when you think of the goal at Burnley and also the miss at Watford when he got into the box.

Really the movement between him and Samatta is night and day, Ally looks like he's been playing as a lone forward for a decade so knows the position inside out. Wesley plays it like Jonlithenon at Newcastle e.g no real idea of the runs they have to make.

21 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Cant remember it Chris. Was is a one on one the Son one?

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Cant remember it Chris. Was is a one on one the Son one?

It was the one where the camera panned in straight to Dier shouting at Spurs players to wake up after clearing it for a camera.

Not sure who but one of ours hit a superb defence splitting run, Jack timed his run superbly and was only 10 yards out. Could've just curled it past Lloris but instead cut it back to Samatta who must've shouted. Problem was he was a bit behind and Spurs players reacted quicker.

It was a real waste of what was a superb passage of play. Haven't had the stomach to watch highlights since but I assume it made the cut on our Youtube page.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was the one where the camera panned in straight to Dier shouting at Spurs players to wake up after clearing it for a camera.

Not sure who but one of ours hit a superb defence splitting run, Jack timed his run superbly and was only 10 yards out. Could've just curled it past Lloris but instead cut it back to Samatta who must've shouted. Problem was he was a bit behind and Spurs players reacted quicker.

It was a real waste of what was a superb passage of play. Haven't had the stomach to watch highlights since but I assume it made the cut on our Youtube page.

I remember that now you mention it. I remember willing Jack to shoot but he pulled it back instead and the chance went begging. 

It feels a bit harsh to criticise Grealish for that but he does sometimes make the wrong decisions when it comes to pass or shoot. 

I think he is going to be a player this kid. For a young man in his first season in the PL he is doing very well. He also seems to have confidence which is very important.

My big worry is that Man City will activate the buy back clause. I do wonder though (hope) that their current predicament may work in our favour in respect to this. With no champions league, they will have no need for a massive squad and may decide to reign in their spending a bit. Here’s hoping. I think he will make a great captain one day.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yes too unselfish 

Â