Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Definitely want him to work on aerial stuff, only wins about 40% of his headers/aerial duels.

Weakness I haven’t often seen him shrugged off the ball but I’d also expect this at 21 - definitely he should continue to improve this.

Can’t tackle - he wins more than he loses. 60% according to the stats.

Agree with you there is room for improvement on everything though. Lots of promise though, he’s going to be a very good player. For now if he keeps coming off the bench to get goals and assists that’ll do me.

He barely makes any tackles. He averages less than 1 tackle per game. 

He's the third most disposessed midfielder in our squad(per game) behind Mcginn and Drinkwater and Drinkwater probably hasn't played enough minutes for his averages to be relevant.

Ok, incoming rant that will go off on a tangent.

I swear I'm just sick of the "he'll improve, he's young" arguments that getss repeated ad nauseaum in here. Not directed at you in particular, but its just no one is saying otherwise. But it feels like people are using "he'll improve" as a reason to put him in the first team which it shouldn't be and using it to justify any mistake or excuse any criticism towards him. Yes he'll probably be good in the future but is he good enough right now? Honestly I don't think he is. And yes I'm saying this in spite of the fact that he's gone off the bench for us and shown how good he can be at times, but its still not enough to make up for his inconsistency and the ridiculous amonut of times he seems to lose the ball and cost games for us. "But it's okay, he's young, he'll improve" gets pulled up time and time again whenever you try and reasonably criticize the guy.

And it speaks voluumes right now that I still prefer this guy over Drinkwater who I swear is a major case of people desperately wanting to be good and so are focusing solely on the few bright spots he's had to try and look at the good side. He's been utter crap for us in my honest **** opinion at varying degrees of crapness but crap nonetheless for all 3 games he's had for us. And the match fitness excuse doesn't fly imo, he's been fit enouugh to be on the Burnley bench since late November and even started a game for them back in December. So, he was match fit enough that Dyche thought he was good enough to start a game for them and be on the bench for a whole month but somehow he's come here and suddenly everyone's acting like he's not even been on the training ground for the past 6 months.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He barely makes any tackles. He averages less than 1 tackle per game. 

He's the third most disposessed midfielder in our squad(per game) behind Mcginn and Drinkwater and Drinkwater probably hasn't played enough minutes for his averages to be relevant.

Ok, incoming rant that will go off on a tangent.

I swear I'm just sick of the "he'll improve, he's young" arguments that getss repeated ad nauseaum in here. Not directed at you in particular, but its just no one is saying otherwise. But it feels like people are using "he'll improve" as a reason to put him in the first team which it shouldn't be and using it to justify any mistake or excuse any criticism towards him. Yes he'll probably be good in the future but is he good enough right now? Honestly I don't think he is. And yes I'm saying this in spite of the fact that he's gone off the bench for us and shown how good he can be at times, but its still not enough to make up for his inconsistency and the ridiculous amonut of times he seems to lose the ball and cost games for us. "But it's okay, he's young, he'll improve" gets pulled up time and time again whenever you try and reasonably criticize the guy.

And it speaks voluumes right now that I still prefer this guy over Drinkwater who I swear is a major case of people desperately wanting to be good and so are focusing solely on the few bright spots he's had to try and look at the good side. He's been utter crap for us in my honest **** opinion at varying degrees of crapness but crap nonetheless for all 3 games he's had for us. And the match fitness excuse doesn't fly imo, he's been fit enouugh to be on the Burnley bench since late November and even started a game for them back in December. So, he was match fit enough that Dyche thought he was good enough to start a game for them and be on the bench for a whole month but somehow he's come here and suddenly everyone's acting like he's not even been on the training ground for the past 6 months.

“He’ll young, he’ll improve” doesn’t mean “oh it’s ok that he makes mistakes, we are all fine with that.” It means an acceptance that he has a lot further to develop than a 25 or 27 or 30 year old, and he’ll only develop with the right balance of game time.

We have complained for years about overpaying for older players and said we want promising youth and a particular style of play to develop, so it’s understandable/preferable in my opinion that people are patient with that process and the young lads involved. Otherwise we are just going round in circles.

A few pages ago people were saying ridiculously negative things about him so it’s hardly like he’s getting unquestioning support because of his age.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

“He’ll young, he’ll improve” doesn’t mean “oh it’s ok that he makes mistakes, we are all fine with that.” It means an acceptance that he has a lot further to develop than a 25 or 27 or 30 year old, and he’ll only develop with the right balance of game time.

We have complained for years about overpaying for older players and said we want promising youth and a particular style of play to develop, so it’s understandable/preferable in my opinion that people are patient with that process and the young lads involved. Otherwise we are just going round in circles.

A few pages ago people were saying ridiculously negative things about him so it’s hardly like he’s getting unquestioning support because of his age.

Uh, you know what I'll take your word on the above that that's what most people mean when they said that.

Edit: Sorry, I'm just tired. I'll just remove the other stuff.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

His fitness and conditioning are improving game on game. I think tonight showed, and games where he has been poor, he isn't a DM. I don't think. He seems to be liable to the odd brain fart when his job is just to sit. He's box to box.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

His fitness and conditioning are improving game on game. I think tonight showed, and games where he has been poor, he isn't a DM. I don't think. He seems to be liable to the odd brain fart when his job is just to sit. He's box to box.

He was playing with swagger tonight.

VERY encouraging!

Right in the conversation for MOTM.

So positive. Always looking to go forward. All round technical ability, it's him and Grealish 1 & 2 with a big gap to everyone else, everything is so easy to him.

It's only his keenness to press that's counting against him at times. He's not even wrong to do it, but he has to make sure the team is coming with him, left gaping holes in midfield at times tonight.

Needs to stay positive if he's left out, he's had brilliant cameo sub appearances recently, that's the way to force yourself back in.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wow it’s almost as if our young players that are completely new to this league are improving every game. It makes no sense. 

ok I’ll stop being a word removed in all the threads now.

It just winds me up when so many of our new players get written off. They proved a few people on here wrong today. Hopefully they can continue to do it. 

He hasnt proved anything, right or wrong.

He did some good things and did the same poor things.

I though out of the 4 in the middle he was the least disciplined and as already pointed out, left gaping holes through the middle of the pitch, he also did some nice passing.

He still wont head the ball or tackle, instead tries shoulder barging people off the ball ? What is the point of doing that when 9 times out of 10 it becomes a free kick to them.

If he sped up his passing a split second and his thinking, I bet he wouldnt get caught out so much.

Just now, brummybloke said:

I though out of the 4 in the middle he was the least disciplined and as already pointed out, left gaping holes through the middle of the pitch, he also did some nice passing.

He still wont head the ball or tackle, instead tries shoulder barging people off the ball ? What is the point of doing that when 9 times out of 10 it becomes a free kick to them.

If he sped up his passing a split second and his thinking, I bet he wouldnt get caught out so much.

Fair enough. It’s just a lot of our summer signings have been written off by many and the recruitment massively questioned. They all had a decent game today and got us to a final. It’s nice to see them all getting some praise. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough. It’s just a lot of our summer signings have been written off by many and the recruitment massively questioned. They all had a decent game today and got us to a final. It’s nice to see them all getting some praise. 

Yep, I'm always slightly critical even with a win as it's rare we totally click  and the constant same mistakes normally cost us.

But tonight they all get 10 out of 10 for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Fred and Mcginn do that a lot as well. They just go in with their arses though. It lifts players off the floor and causes them to stumble. If you go with your shoulder they go over top first and it looks like a foul. He does put in tackles but he knows that isn't what he is good at. He is short and stocky so he is trying to use that knock bigger players off the ball. He will learn the technique in time. 

Â