Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Douggie’s not particularly high up on my list of Villa concerns. He’s inconsistent at the moment but then most 22 year olds are. His potential to get better is massive. We don’t have many other players that young with 5 Brazil caps.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, useless said:

He had a good game last night, sometimes I feel if you're looking for negatives then you will find them. I feel as though if we'd have won, but the players had have played exactly the same, then some of them that are getting critized now would instead be getting praised, despite playing the same game,Luiz in particular, althought no way of proving that of course.

Also I think it's harder to judge how a player has played when you're watching a match with certain degree of nervousness to how the result might go, which is probably why if you look on match threads there's usually a lot of over the top moaning, because peoples are invested in more than just analysing the performances but also he emotional side of things as well. Obviously you can tell if someone has been really bad or really good, but I've had it myself where I've watched a game live, been of the opinion that a player has had a poor game, but then watched a replay of the game and knowing what's going to happen so no nerves about whether we're going to win or not and can just watch game totally from a purely analytical point of view, and suddenly I realise that the player that I thought wasn't very good, didn't have a bad game after all.

I think that is a bit unfair.....I see things wrong sometimes, when we win....but like most folk i want to enjoy wins too....we all want to enjoy our games, but if you see flaws or weaknesses are we not allowed to say, in fear of upsetting folk?

its a forum.

So I think that observation, is a cop out.

West Ham conceding a classic soft set-piece goal there.

They need a strong Dougie like presence in the area to help them deal with it.

They lack his dominance with weaklings like Soucek and Rice in holding midfield.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

West Ham conceding a classic soft set-piece goal there.

They need a strong Dougie like presence in the area to help them deal with it.

They lack his dominance with weaklings like Soucek and Rice in holding midfield.

Or maybe we have Konsa and they have Dawson

Just now, WooJung said:

Easily the best out of the midfield three, but he can hardly shine when he has nothing ahead of him. 

Interesting. I actually thought he was the worst in the midfield. Constantly walked around by Moura and easily dispossessed all game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Interesting. I actually thought he was the worst in the midfield. Constantly walked around by Moura and easily dispossessed all game.

I'm not saying he was great by any means, but Sanson did nothing and McGinn got dispossessed even more often and was just as bad defending. 

What the hell is wrong with our midfield? 

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I would honestly consider playing him as a 10.

Think he has got every attribute to play there.

He is quite lightweight and small. Should not play the holding role.

Agree, would like to see him playing in Barkley role and Nakamba playing the DM for the rest of the season. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

Agree, would like to see him playing in Barkley role and Nakamba playing the DM for the rest of the season. 

Indeed.

Nakamba been awesome this season.

Never really got why he got dropped. Always found it a strange decision.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Indeed.

Nakamba been awesome this season.

Never really got why he got dropped. Always found it a strange decision.

Think Smith believes Luiz is better for what he wants from that position. never seen Luiz as a DM, deep lying playmaker yes, but not a DM. He likes to get forward and score, its a natural part of his game.

Luiz has been very poor for a while now. I’m failing to see what he’s particularly good at. He’s not fast, not strong, doesn’t dictate play, doesn’t break up play and doesn’t really create anything.

To be honest, he’s very similar to Ashley Westwood. We’ll need to upgrade in this position if we want to progress. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Luiz has been very poor for a while now. I’m failing to see what he’s particularly good at. He’s not fast, not strong, doesn’t dictate play, doesn’t break up play and doesn’t really create anything.

To be honest, he’s very similar to Ashley Westwood. We’ll need to upgrade in this position if we want to progress. 

He's out of form, for sure. But he's shown since end of last season/start of this season how good he can be and miles better than westwood ever was for us!

Like any good side, good players need to be playing with good players, too many out of form/missing and the rest of the team suffers. Dougie is a good player, but he's still young and needs a settled midfield around him, I don't know what our 3 are supposed to be doing.

Jack whilst good last season, still had plenty of average games. He's stepped up another level this season with better players around him and I don't think Dougie will ever get near Jacks level but he should be able to relied on as a solid top 10 premier league player.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Totally agree and it’s a good comparison as well. You don’t necessary want your holding midfielder to stand out in a game but I really struggle to see what he offers that anyone else we already have or could buy in the summer wouldnt offer.

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Totally agree and it’s a good comparison as well. You don’t necessary want your holding midfielder to stand out in a game but I really struggle to see what he offers that anyone else we already have or could buy in the summer wouldnt offer.

He suddenly (this season) looks old and jaded. No spark, no pace, no drive, no vision, no passion. He has much to learn still but I'd get rid of Luiz in a flash and play Ramsey.

Â