Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

4 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Totally agree and it’s a good comparison as well. You don’t necessary want your holding midfielder to stand out in a game but I really struggle to see what he offers that anyone else we already have or could buy in the summer wouldnt offer.

He does remind me of Ashley Westwood. 

I really want to like him and he certainly played well at the back end of last season but this season, he's just been really poor to be honest.

He has youth on his side but as things stand, we need a better player in there. He just doesn't really offer us anything. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul33 said:

He suddenly (this season) looks old and jaded. No spark, no pace, no drive, no vision, no passion. He has much to learn still but I'd get rid of Luiz in a flash and play Ramsey.

He started his career seemingly full of confidence, he scored that goal in his first few games didn’t he? There were a few incidents where he got caught out but now he just seems to have had the life sucked out of him, yes he has cut out the mistakes but at the cost of just being a bang average footballer who doesn’t have any particular assets to his game. I swear it could be him that’s making McGinn so poor as well, the first game he was dropped for Nakamba suddenly McGinn was twice as involved in the game.

5 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

He started his career seemingly full of confidence, he scored that goal in his first few games didn’t he? There were a few incidents where he got caught out but now he just seems to have had the life sucked out of him, yes he has cut out the mistakes but at the cost of just being a bang average footballer who doesn’t have any particular assets to his game. I swear it could be him that’s making McGinn so poor as well, the first game he was dropped for Nakamba suddenly McGinn was twice as involved in the game.

I have noticed this too and it is confusing as to why his form seems to have dropped off a bit..?

Does he have one eye on going back to Man City?

Did he not like the fact that Dean Smith lied that he (Dougie) was unaware of a clause in his contract?

Is he tired from having to do extra work in the team because Barkley doesn't try a leg.

He is a decent midfielder but concerning as to see his performances are not as good as they have been at the end of last season and the start of this one.

8 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Yes, he scored 2 absolute screamers at the start of last season. Doesnt seem capable of that this season unfortunately. Not sure what's happened there really, maybe confidence.

4 hours ago, tinker said:

He's not doing enough for me , our least effective  midfielder by a considerable  margin. Remember the goal he scored against Norwich  last season, where's that player gone? 

Nondescript.

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Yes, he scored 2 absolute screamers at the start of last season. Doesnt seem capable of that this season unfortunately. Not sure what's happened there really, maybe confidence.

Should be playing further, upfield, like McGinn should.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Should be playing further, upfield, like McGinn should.

I think this is part of the problem. Defensively  we are fine as a stand alone unit.  Yet Douglas is sitting in front of the back 4 offering very little additional  defensive cover and next to nothing offensively,  other than finding the full backs with short passes. 

Edited by tinker

13 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Think he needs his shit hair styles back, seems regular. hair for him is akin to cutting off Samsons mane.

But he's always had short hair since he arrived here😉

Edited by sparrow1988

2 hours ago, tinker said:

I think this is part of the problem. Defensively  we are fine as a stand alone unit.  Yet Douglas is sitting in front of the back 4 offering very little additional  defensive cover and next to nothing offensively,  other than finding the full backs with short passes. 

precisely.

2 hours ago, tinker said:

He definitely made a great chipped pass in the 1st half to Trezeguet in the Spurs box who did a Trezeguet and controlled it with the back of his neck and went back to Spurs

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

But he's always had short hair since he arrived here😉

Nah he had the Blonde locks when he first got here remember?

Surely I'm not imagining that?

Edit: Yes he did -

LuizD5.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I do wonder if his poor form is down to what he is being asked to do and the role to perform in the team. I do think he needs pushing forward to get the best out of his abilities.

If we were to sign Sander Berge for example and then push Luiz forward to compete with Sanson & McGinn 

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

precisely.

In my view, I'm reiterating to the annoyance of many again,  I think he is better when he can get forward, and have pops at goal, pick out forward and incisive passes etc.

Yes he has the ability to Ping good crossfield balls from deep etc , and get good interceptions, but it doesn't make him a DM imo... Not an effective one in the Premier League anyway. ( In a slower league, possibly )

If we insist on playing him as our deep lying playmaker, we need a more solid unit in from of him, which will allow him the time to read the game and pick the passes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah he had the Blonde locks when he first got here remember?

Surely I'm not imagining that?

Edit: Yes he did -

LuizD5.jpg

I meant Samson/Sanson

Morgan Sanson (@Morgan_Sanson8) | Twitter

Edited by sparrow1988

On 22/03/2021 at 10:08, villalad21 said:

I would honestly consider playing him as a 10.

Think he has got every attribute to play there.

He is quite lightweight and small. Should not play the holding role.

I actually agree with you, the more I think about it, you could be on to something. Even if it's temporary.

He can pass at any range, he can shoot, he also has a bit of Brazilian creativity in him.

It's at the point where I feel we are actually shoehorning him into a position where it's not working because " That's what he is meant to be ". Even though his attributes would be better suited to other areas in our team where we are currently lacking.

Instant upgrade on Barkley there IMO.

As I said in my post above, if we insist on playing him deep, we need a more solid unit in front of him.

However, I prefer you idea as the alternative.

Â