Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I do wonder if his poor form is down to what he is being asked to do and the role to perform in the team. I do think he needs pushing forward to get the best out of his abilities.

If we were to sign Sander Berge for example and then push Luiz forward to compete with Sanson & McGinn 

I think he is fine where he is but he is plugging too much gaps especially if McGinn or especially Barkley is in front of him

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He definitely made a great chipped pass in the 1st half to Trezeguet in the Spurs box who did a Trezeguet and controlled it with the back of his neck and went back to 

We know hes got more to offer  but for one reason or another he's not doing it. It's either he's lost his confidence , he's injured or fitness levels are not high enough or he's been asked to hold back and not get to involved further up the pitch

We also have problems on the wings as well with some dreadfully  wasteful  play from both sides but I don't think Trez has it in him to improve enough to be consistently OK, Douglas has IMO

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tinker said:

We know hes got more to offer  but for one reason or another he's not doing it. It's either he's lost his confidence , he's injured or fitness levels are not high enough or he's been asked to hold back and not get to involved further up the pitch

We also have problems on the wings as well with some dreadfully  wasteful  play from both sides but I don't think Trez has it in him to improve enough to be consistently OK, Douglas has IMO

Or he's done for the season because we aren't going down and we aren't getting europe so he's cruising... Which is really poor but I don't think he's the only one and in the long term might not be that bad for us, man City aren't buying this Luiz 

Brazils games have all been postponed but he's got to be at risk of being dropped by them

He needs a rocket up his ass

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think he is fine where he is but he is plugging too much gaps especially if McGinn or especially Barkley is in front of him

Seems like excuses. I thought he was the worst of the midfield against Spurs. 

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

not really an excuse when the 2 players in front of him have no tactical discipline, Luiz is not blameless but the players in front arent pulling the weight

Luiz seems an easy target because he is not a Jedinak type hoofball merchant  but I would like to see how many goals he was actually at fault for

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In my view, I'm reiterating to the annoyance of many again,  I think he is better when he can get forward, and have pops at goal, pick out forward and incisive passes etc.

Yes he has the ability to Ping good crossfield balls from deep etc , and get good interceptions, but it doesn't make him a DM imo... Not an effective one in the Premier League anyway. ( In a slower league, possibly )

If we insist on playing him as our deep lying playmaker, we need a more solid unit in from of him, which will allow him the time to read the game and pick the passes.

I agree entirely.

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Funnily enough, I thought he played a bit better against Spurs, but I am not a fan of him in that role....He is too nondescript for me....Both him and McGinn are not natural in that role.

some say, he is always available, but that tickles me....If you don't do anything of ilk, you usually are.....we need players who stamp their authority on the game and dictate, dominate ,not stand off and marshall, for 90 minutes, claiming to be available.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 20:33, Tomaszk said:

West Ham conceding a classic soft set-piece goal there.

They need a strong Dougie like presence in the area to help them deal with it.

They lack his dominance with weaklings like Soucek and Rice in holding midfield.

sarcasm, is the lowest form of wit.

7 hours ago, tinker said:

Sometimes you have make a distinction between the player and the role.

Sometimes a player can be good overall, but the job is not being done, I fear that is the case here.

I think Dougie is a really decent footballer.....but for the role, is not being dominated as it should be.....I feel the same about McGinn too.

If we had a more dominant soul in that 2 ( i.e Casemiro) it might be a whole lot different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Sometimes you have make a distinction between the player and the role.

Sometimes a player can be good overall, but the job is not being done, I fear that is the case here.

I think Dougie is a really decent footballer.....but for the role, is not being dominated as it should be.....I feel the same about McGinn too.

If we had a more dominant soul in that 2 ( i.e Casemiro) it might be a whole lot 

If his role is  a defensive midfielder  then he's not good enough at large parts of that role and has never been good enough. He's not particularly  fast or strong enough to hold players off or push them off the ball (without  fouling them) He can pass the ball well and he moves quite quickly with it as well.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

If his role is  a defensive midfielder  then he's not good enough at large parts of that role and has never been good enough. He's not particularly  fast or strong enough to hold players off or push them off the ball (without  fouling them) He can pass the ball well and he moves quite quickly with it as well.  

I couldn't possibly disagree with that, but I fear my friend, we are in the minority....He is more of a Ray Houghton type for me.

In the first ten games in Villa shirt he was hitting stunning volleys and getting into the box, now he barely even tries to shoot or pass forwards, I don't think he should be played deep, I don't think he has strong defensive qualities even if he is capable of tracking and tackling.

I thought Sanson would come in and allow Luiz and/or McGinn to get forward, instead Dean plays Sanson the furthest forward vs Spurs.

I have no idea what any of our midfield is meant to be doing and neither does Dean.

56 minutes ago, tinker said:

It would be interesting to see him play as an 8, alongside a strong DCM.

However, the DCM is the role that he played after Restart, when he was probably our best player, and it is the role that he played in the Liverpool and Arsenal victories earlier in the season, alongside SJM and Barkley when our CM looked so good.

It is really hard to pinpoint why such a strong CM pairing at the start of the season - every pundit was describing them as a great pairing - has gone so far backwards since our COVID break.  Maybe they both had it and are still recovering??

I think we sometimes forget just how young he is and that he has largely played non-stop in the PL apart from a couple of Nakamba outings. 

I wouldn't write Dougie off and think he can still be a very good player for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Funnily enough, I thought he played a bit better against Spurs, but I am not a fan of him in that role....He is too nondescript for me....Both him and McGinn are not natural in that role.

some say, he is always available, but that tickles me....If you don't do anything of ilk, you usually are.....we need players who stamp their authority on the game and dictate, dominate ,not stand off and marshall, for 90 minutes, claiming to be available.

Ashley Westwood does more for Burnley

• Like 1

Dont get what he does. I do t think I've left a game thinking he dominated that. 

I think whatever position you play, you can dominate in 1_1 battles or by excelling in distribution. 

I think hed be an outstanding player in a slower league. 

He's the CDM in a team that has conceded joint third fewest goals this season and is an important player. 

I understand that some of you don't see his contribution, but that's definitely more of a 'you' problem. Smith can, Tite can, the players in the squad can - maybe you just need to study the game more? 

13 hours ago, PaulC said:

Ashley Westwood does more for Burnley

He is also 8 years older and has played in the Premier League since 2012. Luiz has played about 50 games in the league in a language he is just learning 

Â