Björn Engels

Delphinho123

• 3 weeks later...

He hasn't made the bench in last few weeks, Hause and AEM were defensive back up last night.

Can't see the point of him hanging around, he last played for us in March 2020.

Will probably have to be a loan as no one is paying close to what we signed him for given his lack of games.

No issue with Hause staying, he did really well when called upon over xmas period which is exactly what you want with squad players. We could well need him for Sunday given Mings didn't look in great shape at end of the game.

16 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Sounds like he loves everything about his life at Villa except not playing in his latest interview. Don't think he's gonna leave unless forced. 

He’s in a relationship with a local girl and settled. If he’s happy to be back up back up he’ll stay for now.

Interesting. Guess we could just loan him out to a Stoke or West Brom for 6 months to get him some match fitness. I think one of the full backs we sign this summer will be able to play at CB so that will at least give us four options aside from Bjorn (sort of what AEM has done this season).

Don't think she's local, was with him when he was playing for Reims and Olympiakos. Ah the wonders of Instagram....😉

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

He’s in a relationship with a local girl and settled. If he’s happy to be back up back up he’ll stay for now.

Yup. Lets me honest clubs need capable guys who are happy to graft and play when given the opportunity.

On 14/05/2021 at 14:01, VillaChris said:

Interesting. Guess we could just loan him out to a Stoke or West Brom for 6 months to get him some match fitness. I think one of the full backs we sign this summer will be able to play at CB so that will at least give us four options aside from Bjorn (sort of what AEM has done this season).

Don't think she's local, was with him when he was playing for Reims and Olympiakos. Ah the wonders of Instagram....😉

Fair, I got it wrong. He’s definitely settled in the area though.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

21 games

It's interesting that in recent games the only CB backup has been Hause.

I completely understand why Konsa has become the first pick at RCB, but I'm surprised Hause is so far above Engels in the pecking order. Is it purely a pace thing? I remember that game last season where Shane Long wrecked Engels, and then of course the mistake against Spurs. I wonder if that was the end of his career as a Premier League centre back.

A shame if so, as I think Engels is a decent footballer who still has a lot to offer, and is good to watch. Just a bit lacking in that recovery pace you need to cover for mistakes at this level.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It's interesting that in recent games the only CB backup has been Hause.

I completely understand why Konsa has become the first pick at RCB, but I'm surprised Hause is so far above Engels in the pecking order. Is it purely a pace thing? I remember that game last season where Shane Long wrecked Engels, and then of course the mistake against Spurs. I wonder if that was the end of his career as a Premier League centre back.

A shame if so, as I think Engels is a decent footballer who still has a lot to offer, and is good to watch. Just a bit lacking in that recovery pace you need to cover for mistakes at this level.

There was a rumour last season he fell out with Smith but was also another rumour that a Villa player had a family member with serious Covid which was apparently Engels. He was decent but couldnt turn against pace but was solid on the ball, was people moaning he didnt get a Belgium call up at one stage. His 1st games he was very calm and composed. He played the cup final and the Leicester game after this Spurs mistake

We have 9 subs now but Smith usually goes with Elmo, Taylor and Hause to cover all bases

• Thanks 1

He is happy to be paid good wages to keep fit and raise a family here. Fair enough but shows that he doesn't really have that burning ambition does it. He is too slow and will never make it in the prem however he went back to Belgium he would probably have to take a massive cut in salary.

At first I thought he make it, he looked good until mistake were a regular thing but it wasn't just down to him, our whole team was criminal in doing it.

It's a shame but yeah maybe it's best we sell some players and he would be part of the list I reckon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

had such high hopes. did OK in his first few games. 4th choice now though, and was obviously looking for a move.

need a new CB now though i guess? unless i'm missing someone we've only got 3 now?

Â