Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

Think people forget that he's only 25 (26 in October), he's still a few years away from his peak so to write him off now would be a bit daft. Used as a squad option, deffo. We might have some player on our hands in a few years time.

30 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Think people forget that he's only 25 (26 in October), he's still a few years away from his peak so to write him off now would be a bit daft. Used as a squad option, deffo. We might have some player on our hands in a few years time.

Danny Devito No GIF

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I doubt anyone bothered to notice but Trez was the only player in midfield trying to close down and press in the final 15 mins last night.

Anyone questioning this and saying "so what, we weren't being pressured by Sheffield utd and should have had someone on the pitch to help create something" is seriously deluded. Had AEG come on and not done that pressing (we all know he wouldnt) that would have allowed Utd chance to get breaks away and see us risk losing our 1-0 lead, which would have been a far more likely outcome than going 2-0 up given AEGs performance against Burton. 

Fair enough, it might have helped, but to write it off as a wasted opportunity, when we comfortably held on to the victory is madness.

Also, to say he did nothing of note is ignoring laughable chimps stats from a few pages back where he was demonstrably one of our better players. No, he wasn't great,  but he was still miles away from awful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

How old is Hogan?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thug said:

How old is Hogan?

How old is Freddy Adu? How old is Jamie Vardy? How old is Ravel Morrison? How old is the fit girl at college? They all peaked at different times.

You can't judge a player's trajectory - especially one whose impact has increased as time has gone at the club - based on other player's trajectories. 

29 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

How old is Freddy Adu? How old is Jamie Vardy? How old is Ravel Morrison? How old is the fit girl at college? They all peaked at different times.

You can't judge a player's trajectory - especially one whose impact has increased as time has gone at the club - based on other player's trajectories. 

He scored a few goals at the end of last season which were extremely valuable.  

If you see my previous posts about both trez and AEG you’ll see that I’ve maintained that they are both decent squad players.

I don’t believe that his performances are anything to do with his age.  I would argue that by age 25 you’re pretty much at your peak.  You’re not going to suddenly develop beyond your core abilities. The only thing that is likely to change at this age are your circumstances.  So a player that has the raw ability but hasn’t had the opportunity to play to his level, or out of position, or with the right players around him, or indeed be settled into a new country or system.

Age at 25 has nothing to do with it. 
18-25, Yh sure.

25 onwards? No.

Edited by Thug

19 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

While I agree that he'd need time to reach his potential, I don't think his potential is a lot higher than what we're seeing - the weaknesses in his game, like his decision-making and composure aren't easy things to teach. 

I keep seeing the argument that we shouldn't play AEG because he was crap against Burtun Albion. I remeber Trez was in the same situation last year, were he was laughable against a team from the lower league, I have forgotten which team it was, but people have gladly forgotten that, because of a couple of valuable end of season goals. Even with the the goals he scored to save us, I still think he is not a very good footballer, who doesnt help our play in any ways. He doesnt think football, did anyone see monday night within the final 15 minutes he tried to take on a couple of Sheffield players on the side of the pitch? Headlessly he ran straight intto them without changing direction and ended up running the ball over the sideline...thats how I see him most of time, frustrating and doesnt do enough in the final third  

3 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

I keep seeing the argument that we shouldn't play AEG because he was crap against Burtun Albion. I remeber Trez was in the same situation last year, were he was laughable against a team from the lower league, I have forgotten which team it was, but people have gladly forgotten that, because of a couple of valuable end of season goals. Even with the the goals he scored to save us, I still think he is not a very good footballer, who doesnt help our play in any ways. He doesnt think football, did anyone see monday night within the final 15 minutes he tried to take on a couple of Sheffield players on the side of the pitch? Headlessly he ran straight intto them without changing direction and ended up running the ball over the sideline...thats how I see him most of time, frustrating and doesnt do enough in the final third  

I think I know what you mean here. He sometimes looks quite out of place on a football pitch: that he’s almost surprised at what happens. He has a knack of popping up unmarked, but I’m not sure he’s even aware what he’s doing, or if his unorthodox style means defenders either don’t give a sh*t or can’t read him. I’m in danger of not giving him enough credit I guess, but he looks like a rabbit in the headlights quite often. 

His work rate clearly trumps AEG, but I’m not sure that’s enough. If I was his full back, I’d be frustrated at his lack of positional awareness.  With AEG, any lack of tracking back or covering is because of his attitude: but he can be brought into line because he has some instinct as a footballer. With Trez, I’m not so sure. Fwiw, I think ARG’s attitude issues may stem from being boll*cked now and again and that he’s second fiddle to someone who is so technically and tactically poor - imagine how that must feel.

I put a lot of this down to communication last year. We all saw the change in Doug after lockdown when his understanding of teammates improved. But with Doug, even with his language issues before lockdown, you could see he had grace and technical ability. I don’t see that with Trez. I find the man remarkably frustrating to watch...until he pops up with a vital goal. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

He doesnt think football, did anyone see monday night within the final 15 minutes he tried to take on a couple of Sheffield players on the side of the pitch? Headlessly he ran straight intto them without changing direction and ended up running the ball over the sideline...thats how I see him most of time, frustrating and doesnt do enough in the final third  

Like a more aggressive version of De La Cruz!

I have sympathy with the arguments for and against Trez but my predominant feeling is usually concern about whether he actually has the ball under control!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

AEG is in terrible form at the moment.  The Burton game showed that. Give me the AEG from 2 years ago and I'd pick him every time. Trez is in good form, by his relatively low standards,  and was the better option to guard against last minute counter attacks.

Agree, he's frustrating,  and ideally he'd be an impact sub to throw on when all else has failed, but until Traore is match fit and until AEG shows any indication that he actually still wants to play football, he is our obvious first choice.

I would have brought AEG on for the last 10 minutes,  but fully see the merits in not doing so. First game of the season, the most important thing was to not concede a late goal, and we didn't. 

On 24/09/2020 at 13:40, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is the player he can be, even at Premier League level, especially against the likes of Fulham. 

He did more than enough to keep his shirt tonight, but he also now knows he has to perform. 

This is called having a squad. 

I'm familiar with all those words except the last one.

Â