Tom Heaton

midian

I like Steer, I really do and hopefully he will be remembered for his heroics to get us promoted. 

However the management like some fans are unsure about starting him in the PL and hence we must understand this reasoning. So we must believe he is an upgrade on Steer for this season at least....

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

10 years ago we were challenging for CL and Heaton was on loan at Cardiff and Rochdale in the lower leagues.

You would have been raging if we signed him then.

No I wouldn't. Because those who watch football knew he had potential. And more importantly a small out lay on a young English keeper from a well respected academy is a decent risk reward scenario. But aces you can tell me what I would've thought about it. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Solid signing if it happens, but he is not a huge upgrade on Steer. Obviously relative what you actually mean by huge, but I think the gap between them is less than most people think. Steer is a very capable goalkeeper. 

And we all know it only needs one shaky performance from Heaton before people will start asking questions and call for rotation. Personally I think Heaton is a good goalkeeper and I'd loved it if we signed him 10 years ago, but I think Steer is more than adequate to be a part of this team surviving the drop. Either way I hope Steer starts against Spurs, even if it's unlikely he will. 

How is it not a huge upgrade?

Loads of first team experience. 

Proven premier league player.

International level.

Where does Steer come close to any of that?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

People continue to have a massively inflated opinion of Steer.

Yep. I also think its because people know him. 

If this was a 23 year old player no one had heard of until last night there would be excitement. 

Edited by DCJonah

10 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No I wouldn't. Because those who watch football knew he had potential. And more importantly a small out lay on a young English keeper from a well respected academy is a decent risk reward scenario. But aces you can tell me what I would've thought about it. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5615650

• Like 1

The fact that random Norwegians know more about young English players than some English and swedish people is a weird stick to use. Anyone and I mean absolutely anyone paying attention to young footballers coming through associate Heaton with Man Utd. If that's greek to you, tough luck 😂

33 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The fact that random Norwegians know more about young English players than some English and swedish people is a weird stick to use. Anyone and I mean absolutely anyone paying attention to young footballers coming through associate Heaton with Man Utd. If that's greek to you, tough luck 😂

If you were honestly banging the drum about signing Heaton 10 years ago, when he was plying his trade in the lower leagues and we were challenging for CL football, then more power to you.

As it happens, I don't believe you.

• Like 4

I think heaton will either end up like given when we signed him over the hill slow and a former shadow of himself or like friedel and roll back the years and be quality. Keepers can get better with age schwarzer played his best stuff in his later years and I'm sure Kasey keller played till he was in his early 40s. You also have gomez at Watford who is like 38 and is still decent at prem level. His injury record does concern me though..

Edited by AshVilla

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think heaton will either end up like given when we signed him over the hill slow and a former shadow of himself or like friedel and roll back the years and be quality. Keepers can get better with age schwarzer played his best stuff in his later years and I'm sure Kasey keller played till he was in his early 40s. You also have gomez at Watford who is like 38 and is still decent at prem level. His injury record does concern me though..

so he'll either be bad, or he'll be good. 50/50? 🤨

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think heaton will either end up like given when we signed him over the hill slow and a former shadow of himself or like friedel and roll back the years and be quality. His injury record is also questionable.

Really sticking your neck out there. 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. I also think its because people know him. 

If this was a 23 year old player no one had heard of until last night there would be excitement. 

I am well excited about this signing, def in top 3 signings for us this summer. 

Â