Tom Heaton

midian

Don't forget we paid £7 million for Kalinic and I'm sure for an extra £1 million we're getting a better keeper who will hopefully play more games.

Just a thought but is he left footed or right footed as this could make a great deal of difference when receiving back passes from defenders and playing out to them also.  The current defenders are used to Steer (left footed) behind them.

Edited by withes_shin

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Just hope they are really, really thorough with the medical this time and don't rush anything.

That shoulder injury scares me.

No idea if it's the same guys who handles the medicals and stuff that it was when we signed Richards and botched Kozak's recovery.

One would assume the club know about his previous injury(ies) and focus the medical accordingly. If the medical indicates a significantly increased risk of an injury happening again, the club may pull the plug on the deal. Most injuries are one offs though and I guess the same concerns and medical analysis was made very recently for Mings.

• Like 1

My eyesight is not what it was, and I don't have my glasses on at the moment, but I am surprised that we have signed Hutton - thought he had left us? ....

Regards

Derek

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

My eyesight is not what it was, and I don't have my glasses on at the moment, but I am surprised that we have signed Hutton - thought he had left us? ....

Regards

Derek

NO IT’S HEATON.

HE’S GOING TO PLAY AT RIGHT BACK.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've seen people on twitter disappointed with this or even that its not a huge improvement on steer. 

What the ****? 

They're the ones overrating Steer, looking through Claret & Blue specs.

You just have to look at how gutted the Burnley fans are to tell you...

...hang on a sec.

1 hour ago, brommy said:

Often a player improves or declines in form, gets injured after a good injury record or remains uninjured after a recently poor record (fingers crossed for Mings!), so initial posts such as ‘bargain’ or ‘overpaid’ can only be mere guesses at what is to come for the player’s Villa career, would you agree?

In Heaton’s case, I think the vast majority would agree that £5m or less was not going to happen, so somewhere in between £6m and £9m was realistic. Regarding the difference of up to a couple of million from what Villa might be paying, it seems trivial to guess whether 1 or 2% of this summer’s transfer budget might represent value or not.

If Heaton plays very well in the PL for a couple of seasons or more, £10m would have been a bargain. If his form drops significantly or he misses many games through injuries, we’d have overpaid at £5m. I’m looking forward to waiting and seeing.

Regarding the bolded part. Yes, I suppose that's fair to say. However, if you look back through the thread and see the tens of people agreeing/liking the 'bargain' posts compared to the few-and-far-between people agreeing with the 'overpaid' posts, it seems that most are happy to go with one end of this guesswork than the other.

Looking at 1-2% of our total spend is trivial when looking overall. But if we overspent on 1-2% of our 10-11 signings, you're talking about the value of an extra player. That's not trivial, so I don't see why people haven't been able to mention it without being hounded.

• Like 1

Having a look at Burnley fan comments - I haven't found one who is happy with this from their perspective.
There are comments around him having 1 year left, and his age, but they are usually just a thing to say as to why - they're not a happy bunch.

Therefore - we should be very happy with this. Clearly a very good goalkeeper, and we're making life harder for one of our rivals in the Premier League

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I've seen people on twitter disappointed with this or even that its not a huge improvement on steer. 

What the ****? 

Solid signing if it happens, but he is not a huge upgrade on Steer. Obviously relative what you actually mean by huge, but I think the gap between them is less than most people think. Steer is a very capable goalkeeper. 

And we all know it only needs one shaky performance from Heaton before people will start asking questions and call for rotation. Personally I think Heaton is a good goalkeeper and I'd loved it if we signed him 10 years ago, but I think Steer is more than adequate to be a part of this team surviving the drop. Either way I hope Steer starts against Spurs, even if it's unlikely he will. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

What the ****? 

People continue to have a massively inflated opinion of Steer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

They're the ones overrating Steer, looking through Claret & Blue specs.

You just have to look at how gutted the Burnley fans are to tell you...

...hang on a sec.

West Ham fans are indifferent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â