Matt Targett

villan-scott

12 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Not entirely sure why people are praising him. Was probably our worst player (though he did play well)

That’s probably why.

Edit: sorry someone else made this point and you responded to it already.

Edited by Adam2003

15 hours ago, AV82 said:

If Targett is a weak link in our team (which I agree he is) that is a VERY good sign I think given where we were 12 months ago.

Spot on. 

I like Targett. He works hard, likes to get a challenge in and gets up and down the flank. He puts a decent cross on too. 

I've said before, I think he gets left exposed because Jack often goes looking for the ball in other areas and leaves him 1 v 2 down his side. But, with Barkley now in the centre, maybe now Jack can stay out wide and give Targett more help. 

• Like 1

For the first time in about a decade I feel like every player in the team is good, with no passengers. But I guess there always has to be one scapegoat, seems like its Targett this season

• Like 1

Bantz :D 

‘I BODIED HIM’: GREALISH NAMES WEAKEST ASTON VILLA PLAYER AT BMH

Jack Grealish has revealed who the weakest player at Aston Villa is.

The Aston Villa star was speaking to Joe.co.uk about FIFA 21 statistics.

And the 25-year-old has responded that a certain Matt Targett might as well have a zero in regards to the physicality stat.

He said: “Matt Targett, left-back. Nah, not at all [he doesn’t use weight machines]. I bodied him the other day in training so I can’t wait for him to see this.”

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/10/07/i-bodied-him-grealish-names-weakest-aston-villa-player-at-bmh/

24 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm his biggest critic and he was outstanding on Sunday.

Long may it continue.

I agree.  Targett and Trez are the two weakest links in the current starting XI for me and, if we are to challenge over the next few years, both need to improve or be replaced, at least in the starting XI.  But on Sunday , they both performed admirably.  It was probably the best Targett performance I have seen and Trez put a real shift in.  Let's hope for more of this.

The big problem with the left back position, for me, is not only that Targett is the weakest in the starting XI but also Taylor, for me, is the weakest reserve option that we have as well. A real challenge behind him might spur him on to greater heights.  I don't believe that this is an area that the U-23s are particularly gifted in either.

• Like 1

And the 25-year-old has responded that a certain Matt Targett might as well have a zero in regards to the physicality stat.

He said: “Matt Targett, left-back. Nah, not at all [he doesn’t use weight machines].

As above, it's banter, but does anyone feel this might actually be one of his issues?

It's 2020, the modern game heavily relies on athleticism and strength.

Look at Cash on the opposite side as an example.

I said the same of Anwar as well.

Grealish has come on leaps and bounds and is now built like a proper athlete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As above, it's banter, but does anyone feel this might actually be one of his issues?

It's 2020, the modern game heavily relies on athleticism and strength.

Look at Cash on the opposite side as an example.

I said the same of Anwar as well.

Grealish has come on leaps and bounds and is now built like a proper athlete.

The guy is paid thousands per week to play football and has the body of a 14 year old hacker.

• Like 3

On 06/10/2020 at 08:56, Junxs said:

For the first time in about a decade I feel like every player in the team is good, with no passengers. But I guess there always has to be one scapegoat, seems like its Targett this season

The first part I fully agree with. I'm not that sure about Targett and Trez and already calling the good PL footballers, but I see your point. We definately have more good and great foitballers at this level, than bad. And that's quite nuts considering the squad we had 18 months ago. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve got a very good first 11 now. If there were areas that could be improved it would be Trez and Targett. Doesn’t make them bad players or scapegoats. It just means we’re heading in the right direction.

Fans need to stop being so sensitive.

After the Fulham game I was arguing on FB with a guy who called McGinn "utter shite".

Fans need to stop being so reactionary

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The guy is paid thousands per week to play football and has the body of a 14 year old hacker.

I said a while back that Targett wasn’t fit enough, that he needs to start training like a professional athlete. Look at his shape around his middle in the photo. It’s not good enough and is a big reason that he’ll get left behind if he doesn’t start improving on it now.

874275DB-702F-44F8-810E-0F48080D0F5D.jpeg

for me Targett is a decent LB, can be excellent going forward, can be ropey at times going backwards, but i see no reason at all to call him out, i agree he needs a player to challenge him for the starting slot, but thats not the same as him being "crap".

If any of us are getting to a point where targett is next on the list of "positions that need improving", that actually says to me we are doing, and have done amazingly over the summer, there were so many positions that were really scary in terms of lack of quality, that Targett was way way down the list of problems, if at the end of last season you had said to any villa fan with half a brain, that after the transfer window and 3 games, anyone would say Targett at LB was the next position that needed improving critically (becuase we had solved all the other positional issues), we would have bit their hand off........we would have bitten both of their hands off.....

At the end of last season, we had issues at GK, issues at RB, issues in midfield, issues at right wing, issues in the striker position, we needed 4-5 quality players to fix our major issues, it was actually quite a critical window for multiple positions.

so far, it looks like we have fixed all of the issues we identified.....ALL of them!, Martinez, Cash, Barkley & Watkins all seem amazing signings, Traore is unproven currently but i have seen enough to think he will probably be an upgrade on Trez when he gets fit and up to speed.

The fact we are now looking at Left Back as the next most important issue for depth/competition, for me is a major major success, and shows our summer and early season has been a major success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I said a while back that Targett wasn’t fit enough, that he needs to start training like a professional athlete. Look at his shape around his middle in the photo. It’s not good enough and is a big reason that he’ll get left behind if he doesn’t start improving on it now.

874275DB-702F-44F8-810E-0F48080D0F5D.jpeg

Could be worse ... we could have Luke Shaw!!😉

At least he's not wearing the Alice band anymore.

Edited by barry'sboots

• 2 weeks later...
Â