Matt Targett

villan-scott

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Most clean sheets in the league

We've conceded a total of 9 goals against Leeds, Brighton and Southampton buddy. 

Against the bigger sides we've been exceptional. No one is denying that.

But against the lesser sides we are leaking for fun. And we seem to have a different approach against them. Much more open and less structured and organized. There's been an arrogance over us for the past 4 games.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We've conceded a total of 9 goals against Leeds, Brighton and Southampton buddy. 

Against the bigger sides we've been exceptional. No one is denying that.

But against the lesser sides we are leaking for fun. And we seem to have a different approach against them. Much more open and less structured and organized. There's been an arrogance over us for the past 4 games.

those lesser sides have a different way of playing.....and we don't seem to like it.

26 minutes ago, TRO said:

those lesser sides have a different way of playing.....and we don't seem to like it.

2.25 goals conceded per game in the past 4 games.

There are problems that needs highlighting whether folks like it or not. We've looked every much bit like the pre lock down Villa in the last 3 home games.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Statistical arguments are far less credible when you selectively choose your window of analysis.

If someone drinks two pints in an hour, it doesn’t mean they drink 48 a day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

There are problems that needs highlighting whether folks like it or not. We've looked every much bit like the pre lock down Villa in the last 3 home games.

I disagree, and we’re not actually giving away that many chances (aside from against Leeds). Over our last 3 games, we’ve only conceded 9 shots on target. Unfortunately, that has lead to 6 goals - but I guess that’s what happens when worldy free kicks and stupid individual errors occur.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bobzy said:

I disagree, and we’re not actually giving away that many chances (aside from against Leeds). Over our last 3 games, we’ve only conceded 9 shots on target. Unfortunately, that has lead to 6 goals - but I guess that’s what happens when worldy free kicks and stupid individual errors occur.

Yeah the free kicks were silly but JWP still had to put them away and there was no guarentee he'd do that despite being a very good FK taker. Was more disappointed with the first goal and how we defended that.

There has been a high degree of top quality finishing against us though. Bamford and Ings both pinged their shots into top corner from edge of the box and so did March for Brighton so we've been unlucky in that respect.

Would say more worrying is how easily teams can break past us when we push up and try to press. Obviously an extreme case with Welbeck but also look at how Southampton won the two FKs in the first place so our team structure isn't quite right in homes games currently. Leeds game was another where they got through our lines a little too easily.

Anyway that's for a general defending thread. I was critical of Targett for plenty of last season but think it's been pretty solid so far which is pleasing.

I think that Cash and Targett have been about equal, but Targett gets pelters whereas Cash does not.

if, for example, Targett had committed that handball that Cash did against Southampton, we would still be talking about it in this thread. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think that Cash and Targett have been about equal, but Targett gets pelters whereas Cash does not.

if, for example, Targett had committed that handball that Cash did against Southampton, we would still be talking about it in this thread. 

This season I think that's correct yes.

To me the reason why Targett is more frustrating is because his deficiencies are mostly physical.

You can work on that and he hasn't, I'm starting to think he won't ever. He's never going to be a monster but he's the same player he was at Southampton and Fulham in the Championship. Great technically and a big soft lad.

Cash hasn't got the touch and technique of Targett but will be working on that every in day in training because everyone is. I think within another year Cash will be better than he is now, Targett the same.

FWIW I think Targett is good enough for where we are. We need depth in key areas before left back, where we definitely also need depth.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2020 at 13:35, VillaChris said:

Yeah the free kicks were silly but JWP still had to put them away and there was no guarentee he'd do that despite being a very good FK taker. Was more disappointed with the first goal and how we defended that.

There has been a high degree of top quality finishing against us though. Bamford and Ings both pinged their shots into top corner from edge of the box and so did March for Brighton so we've been unlucky in that respect.

Would say more worrying is how easily teams can break past us when we push up and try to press. Obviously an extreme case with Welbeck but also look at how Southampton won the two FKs in the first place so our team structure isn't quite right in homes games currently. Leeds game was another where they got through our lines a little too easily.

Anyway that's for a general defending thread. I was critical of Targett for plenty of last season but think it's been pretty solid so far which is pleasing.

Just a question.......Was we unlucky or just too much standing off?....not tight enough.

it just seems very coincidental that so many teams get lucky with worldies....luck is random, this seems like a pattern.

Targett lacks athleticism for me......he links up well in the final third, not very stand outish with his defending.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just a question.......Was we unlucky or just too much standing off?....not tight enough.

it just seems very coincidental that so many teams get lucky with worldies....luck is random, this seems like a pattern.

Targett lacks athleticism for me......he links up well in the final third, not very stand outish with his defending.

Of course we could've closed down a bit quicker but now defenders are in big danger of being penalised for handball if the player flicks the ball towards their arm.

There is no game in football history where both teams have stopped every single shot from outside the box but 9/10 just go wide or sail over the bar.

Liverpool have been incredibly lucky not to concede v Brighton today with the penalty and also letting in Connolly through 1 on 1 and that remains best team in the country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Of course we could've closed down a bit quicker but now defenders are in big danger of being penalised for handball if the player flicks the ball towards their arm.

There is no game in football history where both teams have stopped every single shot from outside the box but 9/10 just go wide or sail over the bar.

Liverpool have been incredibly lucky not to concede v Brighton today with the penalty and also letting in Connolly through 1 on 1 and that remains best team in the country.

Just saying what we can get better at, not idle criticism.

The irony for the disputed penalty, it was the complete reverse of our situation.....its like heads you win, tails you win for Brighton.

Edited by TRO

Nah, absolutely nothing he can do about that fairly, Mings or Konsa not marking big CBs is very silly zonal marking or not and whoever let Ogbonna go for the run (McGinn?) was the problem. Very similar to the first Soton goal, maybe something other teams have worked out about our marking. 

Agreed Ogbonna lost his man but you don’t need to make worldly clearing header to prevent the opposition. Get something on it, block the line of sight, or shove the man just enough so he doesn’t get a clean connection/it ends up hitting his nose. Schoolboy stuff.

The ball goes exactly to where Targett is positioned. It’s his job to defend that spot. Totally outmuscled. Men against boys. Didn’t do enough for me.

12 minutes ago, Enda said:

Agreed Ogbonna lost his man but you don’t need to make worldly clearing header to prevent the opposition. Get something on it, block the line of sight, or shove the man just enough so he doesn’t get a clean connection/it ends up hitting his nose. Schoolboy stuff.

The ball goes exactly to where Targett is positioned. It’s his job to defend that spot. Totally outmuscled. Men against boys. Didn’t do enough for me.

I don't think you know how physics works.

On 01/12/2020 at 07:26, rodders0223 said:

I don't think you know how physics works.

And I don’t think you know how football works. I mean I’m sure you’ve read the rules at some stage, but if you think it’s physically impossible for Matt Targett to do more on that cross then there’s not much hope here.

On 26/11/2020 at 13:58, Tomaszk said:

To me the reason why Targett is more frustrating is because his deficiencies are mostly physical.

I disagree, his deficiencies are tactical. He almost plays as a third centre half he gets that close to mings. The number of times hes out of position is ridiculous. Having said that he is still a massive improvement on Taylor. 

Â