Matt Targett

villan-scott

4 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

I disagree, his deficiencies are tactical. He almost plays as a third centre half he gets that close to mings. The number of times hes out of position is ridiculous. Having said that he is still a massive improvement on Taylor. 

I think it's a tactic from Smith. Keep the fullbacks tucked in as there's more danger in the center than out wide.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think it's a tactic from Smith. Keep the fullbacks tucked in as there's more danger in the center than out wide.

Agree...both our FBs tuck in almost allowing the opposition wide man to have the ball before then engaging with him if in dangerous position. A tactical decision by Smith and Co to keep strength in numbers in the central areas wherever possible as this is where the greatest danger of conceding is. Almost af if we are happy to allow crosses to come in with the confidence in our ability to defend them in the box. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

No he didnt 😂

Targett was injured both games in the 1st half and Wolves scored once in that time with no Traore involvement

Half injured or not. Still destroyed him.

When Taylor came on he actually did a decent job on him.

17 hours ago, Enda said:

game of thrones boom GIF

Hold on. There are explosions in Game of Thrones? I thought it was kind of middle earth/medieval warfare.

I've never watched a minute of it in case you're wondering.

Thing with Traore is there isn't a full back that ever stops him. None of them. One on one they might tackle him clean once or twice but he'll skip round them about seven or eight times in the game.

The team has to come and crowd him out. Even then he usually escapes the little blighter.

I don't want to hear this oh Targett pushed up too much if he gets in on goal. Three Targett's wouldn't stop him, the team has to deal with a player like that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Thing with Traore is there isn't a full back that ever stops him. None of them. One on one they might tackle him clean once or twice but he'll skip round them about seven or eight times in the game.

The team has to come and crowd him out. Even then he usually escapes the little blighter.

I don't want to hear this oh Targett pushed up too much if he gets in on goal. Three Targett's wouldn't stop him, the team has to deal with a player like that.

Stand out memory for me was the job Hutton did on him when he was at Boro, was an absolute masterclass.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

0 goals 0 assists in 11 games this season.

So obviously defenders are doing a decent job on him so far

On 26/11/2020 at 13:35, VillaChris said:

Yeah the free kicks were silly but JWP still had to put them away and there was no guarentee he'd do that despite being a very good FK taker. Was more disappointed with the first goal and how we defended that.

There has been a high degree of top quality finishing against us though. Bamford and Ings both pinged their shots into top corner from edge of the box and so did March for Brighton so we've been unlucky in that respect.

Would say more worrying is how easily teams can break past us when we push up and try to press. Obviously an extreme case with Welbeck but also look at how Southampton won the two FKs in the first place so our team structure isn't quite right in homes games currently. Leeds game was another where they got through our lines a little too easily.

Anyway that's for a general defending thread. I was critical of Targett for plenty of last season but think it's been pretty solid so far which is pleasing.

major worry,

I think it should be the central issue of our discussions of how to improve Villa.

We know offensively, we can beat anyone on our day.....its the back end we should be having open discussions.

23 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Have we just witnessed history in the making ladies and gentleman?

Hopefully Targett remembers to take him out his pocket before he goes home.

• Like 4

Â