Matt Targett

villan-scott

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Seen he's got a lot of stick mostly about defence so decided to look at the numbers. Cash 14 combined tackles/interceptions/clearances. Targett only 5. Not good. Cash as it were made 7 tackles which is 5 more than the combined tackles of rest of defence. One of those tackles led to opening goal. Well done Cash. 

What was surprising was Targett attempted most passes of our outfield and had 2nd best accurate pass % of 80.5% (33/41) behind McGinn 88.2% (15/17)

He also had most accurate long balls for outfield with 8. Next best Mings with 4. 

Those are odd passing numbers for wingback that scream more CB stats. Someone mentioned Targett has been tucking in close to Mings. Haven't seen anything but highlights today but are we operating some hybrid back 3 of Konsa Mings Targett during the game?

He does look a bit heavy. Hopefully gets better all round with fitness and games

Look, I want all our players to be playing well and consistent.....it gives me no joy, to pick flaws, but sometimes they spell danger.

If we allow too many crosses to come in unchallenged the top teams will punish us.......Their goal being ruled out is a classic example od standing off the crosser......Emi is a fine Goal keeper, but he and the centre backs will be exposed, with too many crosses. and against the better teams those crosses will be quality and difficult to defend, it just takes a riochet to count or an inadvertent arm to create a penalty......we must limit the volume of crosses coming in to our box.

so far, thank god, we have got away with it.......a stitch in time and all that.

Just now, TRO said:

Look, I want all our players to be playing well and consistent.....it gives me no joy, to pick flaws, but sometimes they spell danger.

If we allow too many crosses to come in unchallenged the top teams will punish us.......Their goal being ruled out is a classic example od standing off the crosser......Emi is a fine Goal keeper, but he and the centre backs will be exposed, with too many crosses. and against the better teams those crosses will be quality and difficult to defend, it just takes a riochet to count or an inadvertent arm to create a penalty......we must limit the volume of crosses coming in to our box.

so far, thank god, we have got away with it.......a stitch in time and all that......its was Fulham last night, it will be Liverpool Sunday, they won't waste ball.

35 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Wasn't great last night by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think he played too badly after lockdown and he is still an upgrade on Taylor (I know, I know!) I can understand views that Taylor is better defensively but his limitations going forward outweighs any positives.

We look like we have a good team spirit right now and the players appear to be bonding very well, obviously the likes of Jack and John are very close, Mings is a key figure in the dressing room and I'm guessing Targett and Grealish know each other pretty well from the International set up (2016 Toulon tournament). Now I'm not suggesting he shouldn't ever be replaced, of course we should always be looking to improve, but I think building a good team spirit and a togetherness goes along way too, therefore I think he's one that we will have to persevere with until the start of the 21/22 season.

which is why i agree with a few that are calling for taylor to play sunday

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

so far, thank god, we have got away with it.......a stitch in time and all that.

Mitrovic had about 8 attempts.

Like i said. On another day he could have put 1 or 2 of them away.

We cannot keep allowing teams to cross the ball into our box so easily. It isn't happening on the other side and it will come back to bite us eventually like you say, 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We cannot keep allowing teams to cross the ball into our box so easily. It isn't happening on the other side and it will come back to bite us eventually like you say, 

He needs to work on his closing down and get touch tight on occasions.....even if its just jockeying a player out of play.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

which is why i agree with a few that are calling for taylor to play sunday

I get why some are suggesting that. I personally just think Salah, Mane and Firminho can destroy pretty much any defences on their day so I think it's going to be immaterial which one of the two plays 👍

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mitrovic had more than that. He had 7 with about 30 to go. I think he finished on ten which is frankly an indictment of our full backs. 

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Mitrovic had more than that. He had 7 with about 30 to go. I think he finished on ten which is frankly an indictment of our full backs. 

We conceded 11 crosses that were chances, 7 from left and 4 from right. Mitrovic had 6 headed attempts. 

Allowing crosses isn't worst thing to defend. We had 6 most crosses last season and 4th least goals from crosses. 

I think limiting Fulham to crosses was part of our game plan

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Well I'm sure mitovic took some non headed chances as well. Was it our left and right or theirs?

Our left so 7 from Targett side. Mitrovic had 6 shots in the box all headers and only 1 on target. This from stats site which I'm sure pulls from Opta. I don't think you'll find any stat site that disagrees with these numbers

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Our left so 7 from Targett side. Mitrovic had 6 shots in the box all headers and only 1 on target. This from stats site which I'm sure pulls from Opta. I don't think you'll find any stat site that disagrees with these numbers

I'm not saying your wrong or anything but sky showed a stat at about 60-70 minutes where mitrovic had 7 shots. Typical shoddy reporting by sky. But more seriously I think it is just likely that they are counting shots differently. Like mitrovic headed off of cash's noggin does that count as a shot? As the ball only traveled about 6 inches before bouncing off. 

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm not saying your wrong or anything but sky showed a stat at about 60-70 minutes where mitrovic had 7 shots. Typical shoddy reporting by sky. But more seriously I think it is just likely that they are counting shots differently. Like mitrovic headed off of cash's noggin does that count as a shot? As the ball only traveled about 6 inches before bouncing off. 

Not sure but I'll take Opta every day over Sky. Would've thought they use Opta. Whoscored also has 6 shots 1 on target for Mitrovic

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not sure but I'll take Opta every day over Sky. Would've thought they use Opta. Whoscored has 6 shots 1 on target for Mitrovic

Weird. I just remember because mitrovic had had more shots than the next 2 combined who both had 3 at the time watkins and cavaleiro I believe. 

Targett cannot continue to coast in new look Aston Villa

As we approach the final few days of the transfer window, one position that seems well covered for Aston Villa currently is left back. Matty Targett, an expensive signing from Southampton 12 months ago, along with the ever dependable Neil Taylor, have not provided too many headaches for Dean Smith so far.

The former of course is the main hope going forward, with Villa putting a lot of faith in the young Englishman, who developed a strong reputation during a loan spell at Fulham, as part of the team who broke Villa hearts in the 2017-18 Play-Off Final.

Targett had a baptism of fire in his first season in the Villa defence, which was far from stable and whilst his attacking play seemed assured, some of his defensive work was highlighted as needing work. Of course it would be hardly appropriate to pin too much blame on Targett, given the lack of cohesion amongst the backline generally, especially pre lockdown.

However, it wont have escaped Smith and co’s notice that Targett can often lack some intensity and strength in fulfilling his defensive duties. This was also a criticism from some Southampton supporters, when Targett completed his move to B6, that he might struggle with the rigours of Premier League defending, particularly in a side, who as it turned out, would struggle hugely in that area.

There is no denying Targett’s prowess at the other end of the field though. He loves to link up down the left, with Grealish and Hourihane in particular. He does provide a genuine threat from his crossing into the box also, often getting into great areas to deliver, taking advantage of the space that Grealish provides. He also weighed in with two hugely important goals last season, with a last minute finish to seal 3 points at home to Brighton. Then there was a lovely finish in the EFL Cup Semi-Final Second Leg, to set up a memorable win that took Villa to the Wembley Final.

There is little doubt that Matty Targett is a very capable left back at this level and certainly has the game to play how Smith would want his left back to play, pushing on and getting involved with the creative side of the team. Also it is fair to say that any small defensive issues can be ironed out with good coaching and he certainly has the right manager and backroom team to help him with this.

Targett’s main issue is that Aston Villa is not a club where a player can coast any longer. In the past a move to Villa Park was a decent pay day, with limited expectation, or a shop window for a bigger move. Now it is none of those things. There is a new ruthlessness within the upper ranks at the club and whilst players will be given every opportunity to succeed, the pressure to continue an upward trajectory means that carrying individuals will not be an option. In Targett’s case, the time and patience to kick on and become the left back he can be and the one that Smith will require, will surely ebb away. 

A secondary issue could be a player who Dean Smith knows well, in the shape of Rico Henry. Smith brought Henry through at Walsall before signing him again for Brentford and he has always been highly rated within the game, although injuries have stunted his progress somewhat. The links to Henry resurfaced again recently and although it is unlikely to happen in this window, the pressure may be on Targett now to convince Smith that reinforcements are not needed in that area, before the January transfer window. 

Either way, it would seem natural that Rico Henry will become a Premier League player in the not to distant future and it’s logical that Smith would like Villa to be part of that conversation.

https://underagaslitlamp.com/2020/10/01/targett-cannot-continue-to-coast-in-new-look-aston-villa/

Hopefully he rises with the team.

Very good game today, nullified Salah for the majority of the game even though he scored both of their goals.

The main danger from Liverpool came from the left hand side and that was in part due to the way Targett shut Salah out.

Really pleased for him after the stick he took on Monday night.

Â