Matt Targett

villan-scott

He is so weak, no upper body strength got pushed off the ball far to many times, he keeps pushing inside the amount of times he looked like he was playing in the centre today needs to keep the width out on the touchline 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

The weak link.

Guy can't defend. Because of his lack of pace he heavy relies on sliding on the floor which often times he mistimes.

Needs replacing asap

Which is a bit frustrating because he looks really comfortable on the ball and has a nice cross in him. But you're right, he's definitely one of our weak links.

2 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Wasnt a foul for me.He hasnt played the man, the players momentum has one over Targett,

4 quality goals, they had 4 shots on goal and 1 corner.

Disappointed with the result, but not the performance.

Wouldn't have been given if he could just stay on his feet.

A cross is much easier to deal with than a Free Kick in a dangerous area.

9 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Which is a bit frustrating because he looks really comfortable on the ball and has a nice cross in him. But you're right, he's definitely one of our weak links.

He looks like he might eventually do better as Left Wing backup for us if i'm honest.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He looks like he might eventually do better as Left Wing backup for us if i'm honest.

I think that's what he'll end up as eventually once he's not a regular starter for us. He's not super pacy, but against tired wing backs that might not be such a disadvantage if we utilize him as such.

His attacking play is a big reason as to why  he's so important to this side for me. His link up with Grealish is exceptional and we've got Barkley joining in with them now, our left side is a force going forward. 

• Like 1

Pleased to see a couple of people have commented in this thread since last night but it really should be many more, he was excellent last night and not for the first time this season.

I know he isn’t popular and has at times been a weak link in the side but as I predicted in the summer with better players around him he has been less exposed and has performed better.

Credit where due he was very good last night.

• Like 4

Yeah, he was brilliant last night.  Tackling, probing runs, intelligent passing - it had the lot and was a really accomplished performance.

He's not the most physical player - and he never will be - but he's absolutely key to the success Grealish gets down the left and that's worth a LOT.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, he was brilliant last night.  Tackling, probing runs, intelligent passing - it had the lot and was a really accomplished performance.

He's not the most physical player - and he never will be - but he's absolutely key to the success Grealish gets down the left and that's worth a LOT.

I do think he needs to build himself up a little and have more upper body strength.

Just now, birdman said:

Targett was brilliant last night. Really stepped up this season and looks more focussed and determined. Better players means better shape and I think this has taken the pressure off his side a bit. 

Martinez behind him and Barkley rather than Hourihane in front of him has absolutely made a difference.

• Like 3

We saw glimpses of his link up with Grealish last season but now Barkley is here we're starting to see it most weeks.

His technical ability is very good and has never been in question, he's definitely improved his defensive 'bite' and willingness to battle as well.

Fitness and athleticism are the only areas I have concerns over and they are (or at least should be) the easiest areas for him to improve.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The ball for the first is just wonderful. Trundled right across the danger zone. Purposely drove it in rather than curled it to stop the keeper getting a sniff.

Yeah......in isolation just consider.....the person making a defence splitting run to get an assist, receiving a beautiful reverse pass from Barkley was our LEFT BACK!

Think about that for a minute....

I like targett, completely agree that he needs to bulk up and be more tenacious (which he seems to be getting better at), but technically and in an attacking sense he is very good.

I think a full season under his belt and better players around him have really helped him this season.

Â