Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

The ball for the first is just wonderful. Trundled right across the danger zone. Purposely drove it in rather than curled it to stop the keeper getting a sniff.

Should have had about 10 assists last season from those type of crosses.

Kid is a top player 

mentioned in the post match and to echo other's comments, easily his best game for us so i voted MOTM. showed a bit more strength at times too which made a massive difference

47 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Should have had about 10 assists last season from those type of crosses.

Kid is a top player 

This is really true and something that has seemed to be overlooked at times - he’s been putting goals like that on a plate since he got here but they weren’t getting taken. 

Is looking stronger at the back as well - I think he will go far.

Targett seems to be upping his game this season, all credit to him, being in the right places defensively, persistently pressuring, ready and willing and able  to do some gorgeous interplay attacking wise.

I used to think that his position was the obvious next candidate for "the upgrade treatment", but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I have to say, it's just really satisfying to see players rise to the occasion and actually improve with the team around them, especially considering most Villa players the last 10 years have done the exact opposite.

I can't even remember the last time we had a left back that actually did his job.

I'm so used to left back being a dangerous area where we were punished with silly mistakes that it's refreshing to see Targett play so well there.

He's another player who is currently improving and proving people wrong. Long may it continue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

The guy seems fitter this season.  Still a little suspect with his defensive duties at times but is improving and playing well. 

Smith was quite critical of his condition when he arrived at the club last summer.

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

I can't even remember the last time we had a left back that actually did his job.

I'm so used to left back being a dangerous area where we were punished with silly mistakes that it's refreshing to see Targett play so well there.

He's another player who is currently improving and proving people wrong. Long may it continue.

Good left backs are a rare breed, it's a position that requires athleticism, good defensive awareness and a good left foot, and having all three isn't very common. 

Sadly, most of our left backs in recent years only had one of these attributes, if any at all. 

Targett is easily out best since Warnock, probably even since Bouma. 

We should also keep in mind that last season was his first as a regular starter in the premier league, so I expect him to keep improving as he gains more experience. 

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Martinez behind him and Barkley rather than Hourihane in front of him has absolutely made a difference.

This, more than anything else.  Barkley is now the furthest forward of the 3 central midfielders with McGinn dropping further back into the box-to-box role, which has shored up our defensive support in the wide areas.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2020 at 20:59, OxfordVillan said:

I said a while back that Targett wasn’t fit enough, that he needs to start training like a professional athlete. Look at his shape around his middle in the photo. It’s not good enough and is a big reason that he’ll get left behind if he doesn’t start improving on it now.

874275DB-702F-44F8-810E-0F48080D0F5D.jpeg

He may or may not be fit enough and could definitely do with more upper body strength, but I seriously doubt he's got belly fat if that's what you're implying. Lower abs sticking out past the waist can just makes it look like that in a skin tight shirt.

Conversely you've got Drinkwater with abs like Mings but can't even mow the lawn without getting out of breath, so appearance =/= fitness levels in any case.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

On 09/11/2020 at 10:01, Tomaszk said:

The ball for the first is just wonderful. Trundled right across the danger zone. Purposely drove it in rather than curled it to stop the keeper getting a sniff.

might be ok on that occasion......but not too much trundling hey......the position requires athleticism.

19 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Lost my FF draft match by one point because I bought him in for this game.  That booking was terrible.

He's dead to me.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 2.01.13 PM.jpg

I lost by 1 point because I captained Jack...I win by 1 point if he doesn't get a yellow 🤦‍♂️

I am not opposed to attacking full backs.....but then you have to have more than 2 defenders in a team ( i.e centre backs)

so I ask myself who is doing the defending, just 2 players?......The midfield for me has too much bias towards the offensive side of the game......thats dangerous imo.

I don't see enough players in the squad, with a natural tendency to sniff out danger, by their positional sense.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

so I ask myself who is doing the defending, just 2 players?......The midfield for me has too much bias towards the offensive side of the game......thats dangerous imo.

Better start getting used to it buddy.

It's how Smith ideally wants to play. The post lockdown tactics were only temporary.

51 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Better start getting used to it buddy.

It's how Smith ideally wants to play. The post lockdown tactics were only temporary.

Well the consequences will be self evident.

Â