Matt Targett

villan-scott

A left back is 4th priority for me this summer and I think we can get a wide forward, midfielder and central defender in before the window closes.

I highly doubt we can sort left back this season but next summer it goes to top of the list.

Is it too controversial to suggest Targett should be dropped for the game against Liverpool, think Taylor would do a better defensive job than Targett. We're unlikely to have much of the ball.

Salah would absolutely destroy Targett on the left.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, supermon said:

Is it too controversial to suggest Targett should be dropped for the game against Liverpool, think Taylor would do a better defensive job than Targett. We're unlikely to have much of the ball.

I actually think that is fair

41 minutes ago, supermon said:

Nothing wrong with that. Just a tactical call. 

The question is how much you wanna sacrifice your own play to counter your opponent. 

Targett is no Phillip Lahm, but he's for sure the best attacking fullback we got. 

• Like 2

I thought he looked much better in the second half. The early yellow card killed any aggressiveness he might have had but he adjusted. Fulham's whole gameplan was to get crosses from the left for Mitrovic to attack against Konsa, instead of against Mings. Both Konsa and Targett were targeted ( see what I did there ) and they expected it and managed to do really well on the whole. 

2 hours ago, supermon said:

No. The last thing you want against any team , especially one as dominant and rampant as Liverpool is a player who is as abysmal on the ball as Taylor is. There is no respite.

• Like 1

Obvious weak link in the team. He will cost us points throughout the season I’m sure of it. I get Stephen Warnock vibes from him which is never a good thing as I never liked him either. I think overall he has been a poor signing in my opinion - Southampton certainly saw us coming. I would 100% replace this window. 

Against Liverpool you have to have a backline that are comfortable on the ball and capable of picking out a pass. Liverpool use a relentless press with their front 3, having Taylor at LB wouldn’t be good as he’s not good on the ball. Targett should continue starting, just needs to avoid early yellow cards. 

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Against Liverpool you have to have a backline that are comfortable on the ball and capable of picking out a pass. Liverpool use a relentless press with their front 3, having Taylor at LB wouldn’t be good as he’s not good on the ball. Targett should continue starting, just needs to avoid early yellow cards. 

I'm not so sure. My biggest issue with Targett is his turn of pace. Whenever an opponent knocks the ball past him, he looks like a walking osteoarthritis patient. While he obviously doesn't have a hip injury, his turning rate is slow at times. 

Against Mane and Salah he will be turn inside out and they will have attempts on goal before he even managed to turn around. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not so sure. My biggest issue with Targett is his turn of pace. Whenever an opponent knocks the ball past him, he looks like a walking osteoarthritis patient. While he obviously doesn't have a hip injury, his turning rate is slow at times. 

Against Mane and Salah he will be turn inside out and they will have attempts on goal before he even managed to turn around. 

Both are true. Any left back would struggle against Salah/Mane/Jota. Whether it's Targett , who'd be suspect defending, or Taylor, who'd hoof the ball and lose it every time he touches it, while not being much of an improvement defending, we'd find it hard against Liverpool. So it'll have to be a team effort covering for whoever plays and maybe a bit of luck. I'm confident Dean and the other coaches will have a suitable game plan. 

3 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Both are true. Any left back would struggle against Salah/Mane/Jota. Whether it's Targett , who'd be suspect defending, or Taylor, who'd hoof the ball and lose it every time he touches it, while not being much of an improvement defending, we'd find it hard against Liverpool. So it'll have to be a team effort covering for whoever plays and maybe a bit of luck. I'm confident Dean and the other coaches will have a suitable game plan. 

Taylor did a much better job on Adama last season away from home. Targett got bullied all game.

Taylor managed to handle him somewhat.

Targett is a decent footballer who is very capable in this league. His weaknesses seem to be his conditioning and his in game concentration. If he can improve these, he will be a good PL player. If he doesn’t then he will continue to be a liability who teams target. Needs to start pushing on now. He isn’t a kid anymore 

• Like 1

I'm not Targett's biggest fan, but he does get a bit of a rough deal on here. I thought he looked pretty decent the back end of last season, and we've been in no rush to replace him.

I think the way we play leaves the fullbacks very exposed, particularly the on the left hand side as Jack is allowed a free role, and we ask them to tuck in close to their center back which means they are always going to struggle to block crosses. Matty Cash has started very well, but look who he's had in front of him, Trezeguet the work horse, I'm not saying Targett doesn't have his faults, I'm just saying the way we play really exposes them more than any other player on our team. I think he looks better as a wing back than a fullback and that is why we will likely replace him next summer, but for now he does a job defensively and gives us something going forward. 

• Like 4

Â