Matt Targett

villan-scott

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Targetts overlapping and crossing is a breath of fresh air. His defending no so good but that’s why we now have 3 at the back so he can focus on his strengths. 

I think his general defending is fine, but the lack of pace lets him down.

But still as already said our best left back in ages!

I liked it that he took two shots from a crossing position, second of which lead to our first goal. He scored against Brighton as well, I think Dean has told him to look for a shot from those positions too, not just automatically cross the ball.

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Zero

He has no pace at all

Trent Alexander-Arnold moved from the wing to fullback. Pretty sure Targett was a winger as a youth as well.  That seems to be the trend and I'm all for it.  I'm I'm going to play 3 at the back I would rather my fullback have a nice set of offensive skills rather than be a defensive stalwart. 

7 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Trent Alexander-Arnold moved from the wing to fullback. Pretty sure Targett was a winger as a youth as well.  That seems to be the trend and I'm all for it.  I'm I'm going to play 3 at the back I would rather my fullback have a nice set of offensive skills rather than be a defensive stalwart. 

I would rather my fullback be able to get back when a diagonal ball is dropped in behind him rather than be 15 yards away

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Stay up and get some competition for him and Guilbert we’ll be in a good position for full backs.  Go down and we’ll have 2 of the best full backs in the league. 

If we are relegated, I doubt we will hold on to either of them 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If we relegated, I doubt we will hold on to either of them 

Why not they’re nothing special.  In the last couple of years Newcastle and Albion have shown you can hold on to most of  the team for the first season you go down. Parachute payments meet the wages. Second season a different story though. 

22 minutes ago, Enda said:

He is a big improvement on Taylor but anyone who’s even mentioning Mattie Targett in the same breath as the likes of Gareth Bale is 100% deluding themselves.

It's a strange comparison anyway, very different attributes. Targett has potential to be a very good PL level wingback though.

12 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Tinted glasses out in full in this one, guy is awful, lazy and constantly injured.

Lazy? Why?

He's soft IMO. Bit unsure of himself and very much will shrink when it gets hard.

Loads of ability on the ball though, lovely technique. Surprised the few corners and FKs he's had have been poor

Smith has spoken about having to get him in the gym and I think overall he's disappointed with how it's gone so far for Targett. I think he was hoping to be able to rely for 7/10 performances on him more.

As with most players at Aston Villa he should look to Jack Grealish as inspiration. The guy has made himself so much better with his commitment to fitness and conditioning away from the training pitch. It can be done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

Tinted glasses out in full in this one, guy is awful, lazy and constantly injured.

I honestly thought I'd gone in the transfer window thread and that this was about Sturridge.

Crazy opinion to hold on Targett, crazy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Lazy? Why?

He's soft IMO. Bit unsure of himself and very much will shrink when it gets hard.

Loads of ability on the ball though, lovely technique. Surprised the few corners and FKs he's had have been poor

Smith has spoken about having to get him in the gym and I think overall he's disappointed with how it's gone so far for Targett. I think he was hoping to be able to rely for 7/10 performances on him more.

As with most players at Aston Villa he should look to Jack Grealish as inspiration. The guy has made himself so much better with his commitment to fitness and conditioning away from the training pitch. It can be done.

Fook me he needs to get to the Docs asap!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Lazy? Why?

Many times he just gives up the chase and does not track the runner or when his winger gets away from him he goes down "injured". 

It could well be his conditioning as he is seems to be blowing a gasket after about 15m. 

He is decent going forward compared to Taylor ofc but for how poor he is defensively would like to see more going forward personally.  

I hope he does improve though but I think the praise he was getting was bit over the top. :D 

Â