Matt Targett

villan-scott

11 minutes ago, roadoftrinity said:

What did he do wrong today at the back? 

Nothing particularly today, he didn’t have much defending to do. My view that he isn’t a good defender is based on the season so far rather than one game. The less defending he has to do the better he looks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Played well tonight think the 3 at the back helps him get more forward 

Yep would be a winger if he had any pace. Not sure if he will ever be a plus defender but his crossing and overlapping runs make up for it. 

He's very good in the air, and Reina's pings out to the wings bring this into play a lot more. Smith was right to make the point in the post-match interview that we should be expecting Targett and Guilbert to attack the far post. They've both got it in their locker.

Looks far more comfortable at wing back (in fact, when we play 4-3-3 he basically plays as a wing back, which is why he gets caught out so often).

If Samatta is any good, we should also start to see Targett getting a few very good assists.

Quite optimistic about the next few weeks.

Got deep forward a couple of times and was probably our most threatening player. As mentioned above had a header on target that either side of the keeper would have likely scored and it was his shot that fell to Douglas for the equaliser.

His crossing at times was poor, but he's wasn't alone in that regard tonight. Desperately need a threat in the box to aim for as the amount of times we went forward via the flanks and we crossed it into the box with El Ghazi outnumbered 1 v 4 or 2 v 5/6 was ridiculous.

Apart from games where we are expected to be on the back foot all game, he has to be an automatic selection ahead of Taylor.

The second or third player after Jack Grealish that I have hope something would come out of him during a game. One of the most technically gifted players we have atm. He’s not good defensively but with our 3 at back he could have much freedom attacking.

Surely to God watching that, Dean can see we need someone to do something different to Taylor.

If Targett breaks his leg, Taylor should not be the guy coming in. I'd rather have Engels out there than Taylor.

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Surely to God watching that, Dean can see we need someone to do something different to Taylor.

I agree with this entirely but back up LB has to be relatively low down the list of positions when you are building a whole squad. Hopefully the summer sees Taylor move on and a quality left back come in who can compete with Targett/offers something a bit different. Keep building step by step.

Best chest control I have seen since Heskey.

It is a shame our play is so poor and one dimensional, and generally in straight lines. A few times last night and not enough, he was in all manner of space. Mings has the switch in his locker, Luiz has it, but not really anyone else. His control was brilliant the few times he was actually picked out.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Best chest control I have seen since Heskey.

It is a shame our play is so poor and one dimensional, and generally in straight lines. A few times last night and not enough, he was in all manner of space. Mings has the switch in his locker, Luiz has it, but not really anyone else. His control was brilliant the few times he was actually picked out.

I honestly can believe you can watch a game like last night and think we were poor and one dimensional - we lacked some cutting edge (no surprise with no striker) but we absolutely bossed it.

However agreed with you he is great and finding space and it’s a great angle for us to switch play - Reina found him a couple of times along with the players you mention. I think there’s definitely a good player in there and I’m pleased Smith is challenging him to get into the box more and ensure we overload defences, because I think both he and Guilbert have it in their locker.

I never want to see anyone on this forum mention Targett as if he is back up or not as good as Taylor ever again. If so you will be reported to the MODS and removed(could be) for your own safety!! Just sayin that sectioning maybe required.  

• Like 4

Â