Matt Targett

villan-scott

Matt and Jack are a joy to watch on the left, the best combo we have had for a few years.  I think Matt will go on to show that the money we paid for him is a very good investment. Needs to improve defensively and will be a very good acquisition.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2020 at 12:18, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he is a ball watcher?

Again one of the worst ball watchers in the premiership.  Looses his man in behind time after time. 

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Again one of the worst ball watchers in the premiership.  Looses his man in behind time after time. 

I disagree, I think he’s solid defensively and not only that, he offers an attacking outlet too

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I disagree, I think he’s solid defensively and not only that, he offers an attacking outlet too

Going forward, i dont disagree with you.  I just dont think we are good enough as a team to let him play his forward role as much as he would like.  

We will be badly exposed when we go back to a back 4 with him as a RB.  I would actually play Hause RB and play him on LM, similar to Elhomady playing yesterday.

Edited by HeyAnty

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Going forward, i dont disagree with you.  I just dont think we are good enough as a team to let him play his forward role as much as he would like.  

We will be badly exposed when we go back to a back 4 with him as a RB.  I would actually play Hause RB and play him on LM, similar to Elhomady playing yesterday.

Where would you play Grealish?

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I'd give him a free role, but primarily behind Samata. 

What is that achieving? We never attack through the middle

All our attack goes through wide areas.

I think Jack would be highly wasted as a 10 or an 8

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What is that achieving? We never attack through the middle

All our attack goes through wide areas.

I think Jack would be highly wasted as a 10 or an 8

With McGinn back, him playing beside him in the middle with Nakamba behind would change that.  We also have Target, who is good at going forward on the LM, offering his defensive ability as well.  

55 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

There's really no need for this level of hyperbole - it's just nonsense mate, I'm sorry. He's 4th in the league for interceptions and he's been getting stuck in a lot more lately re: tackling. Nobody is claiming he's amazing or anything but 'one of the worst ball watchers' is a ridiculous thing to say. 

I would, however, like him to work on his positioning/marking because I think he can improve there. 

• Like 2

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Is he good enough defensively to play at left back in a back four? 

Genuinely interested to hear peoples views on this. 

I don't think so. Looses his man way too often and not nearly disciplined enough for a defender. I dunno if it's a question of attitude or lack of skill though. Maybe both. Also he seems too slow for a modern full back. 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel we're better of with Taylor there, simply cus he's the better defender.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Is he good enough defensively to play at left back in a back four? 

Genuinely interested to hear peoples views on this. 

Well he's the best we've got.

He has better stats than Taylor in every defensive category except blocks where Taylor has 0.5/game vs 0.4 for Targett, and in the attacking categories they are miles apart.

• Like 1

Frustrating thing is his ball watching. Has happened many times this season and doesn't seem to learn. Maybe I'm being too simplistic but you track your man and get in his face, forget where the ball is.

He's really good at going forward and passing or shooting but didn't see any of that yesterday. 

• 2 months later...

There’s absolutely a player in there trying to get out. He will come good. Like so many of the other signings from last summer. It may just come too late for us this season though,. If there still remains a “this season”!

• Like 1

Â