Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

There are times when he loses his man too easily and appears to be ball watching.

He’s an £11m full back who Smith thinks will play for England, I think his performances have been great. Quite a lot of fans don’t rate him but I think he’s excellent at both ends of the pitch. He struggled against Adama Traore, if he just stood off him a couple of yards then he would’ve had more success, he hasn’t really struggled against anyone else that I can remember, someone will probably put me right

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I thought yesterday he really put himself about, but his crossing and cutbacks weren't at the standard they normally are.

I don’t think ‘he really puts himself about’ as you put it, he comes across as a very nice likeable chap, I think he’s excellent and he will get better over time, he’s still very young

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s an £11m full back who Smith thinks will play for England, I think his performances have been great. Quite a lot of fans don’t rate him but I think he’s excellent at both ends of the pitch. He struggled against Adama Traore, if he just stood off him a couple of yards then he would’ve had more success, he hasn’t really struggled against anyone else that I can remember, someone will probably put me right

This doesn't disagree with what I said. I rate him, I said he was the best fullback at the club.

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think ‘he really puts himself about’ as you put it, he comes across as a very nice likeable chap, I think he’s excellent and he will get better over time, he’s still very young

You're very confusing...a likeable chap can't put himself about?

He won loads of tackles and headers yesterday.

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This doesn't disagree with what I said. I rate him, I said he was the best fullback at the club.

Do you think he’s better than Guilbert? I’d say that Guilbert is better defensively but Targett is better going forward

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think he’s better than Guilbert? I’d say that Guilbert is better defensively but Targett is better going forward

I'd agree. Guilbert is good defensively but doesn't offer much going forward. 

Targett is ok defensively and far far better going forward.

19 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Not sure I follow the train of thought here...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think Targett is excellent and Grealish is overrated. Really struggling with your opinions at the moment. 

I don't dislike Targett, he's solid enough and is a decent premier league player. Not excellent though.

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Max Aarons. 

Call me a glutton for punishment but I have just been watching Spurs' first goal at quarter speed on You Tube. What the hell is going on with Targett's near post "jump" there? It's as if someone said "Right, do an impression of a jump but don't actually jump." Little wonder the ball smacks a surprised Drinkwater in the face and ricochets to Alderweireld. Moura ducks for cover too. Everyone reads the situation as an easy headed clearance yet Targett somehow fails to get off the ground.

• Haha 1

On 17/02/2020 at 15:18, Tom13 said:

You're very confusing...a likeable chap can't put himself about?

He won loads of tackles and headers yesterday.

The key word there was yesterday (now two days ago) - he definitely showed more defensively and wasn't afraid of making a challenge. His tackling numbers are quite low for a fullback overall, but the whole point of signing players like him is working on them and making them better. I think he offers quite a lot to the team and most importantly, has a good understanding and link-up with Jack.  

• Like 1

Â