Jack Butland

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Never been impressed with Kalinic, anything was going to be an upgrade on Nyland, but he wasnt much of an upgrade. Theres a reason he's only played at a level as high as Gent; looked nervy when playing I thought and never filled me with much confidence. Think we paid over the odds because he became Croatia's #1 by default.

think Bardell said on his podcast it was more Suso getting him in than Dean Smith.

I'm of the same mind. I recognise he hasn't many appearances and I've got to factor that in but notwithstanding that, I never got the confidence that a 6'7" international goalie should have given me. He certainly doesn't seem to have given Deano enough confidence to say, "Yeah, Jed's done a good job but this guy's a monster-sized international who's been monster in training and was brought in, at some expense, to be our No1 Number 1 so he's getting the nod".

If he's not settled and wants out, so be it. Cut the losses and move on. Nyland also. You'd have sleepless nights contemplating him as our PL goalie. He gave most the shits when he was facing Championship players. So that's two that can and will go, I'd expect.

Yes, I'd be delighted to get in a reliable, top notch keeper, be it Butland or whoever else they opt for (although this one seems like it's close to being announced). As has been mentioned, a great keeper is worth a lot of points across as season. At the very least we will be encountering much more potent and clinical strike forces this season and we need the best we can get between the sticks to be facing them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I'd be surprised if we couldn't make our money back on Kalinic. Would be some clubs in Europe that would want him. Whatever happens we need a new keeper and I really hope it's Butland.

TBH, I'll be a bit surprised if we do. Depending upon which source you believe we paid up to £7m for him and, whilst you're right, someone in Europe will want him, his stock is low now.

1 hour ago, privateer said:

TBH, I'll be a bit surprised if we do. Depending upon which source you believe we paid up to £7m for him and, whilst you're right, someone in Europe will want him, his stock is low now.

Think it's been there have been reports saying it's actually 7 mill euro? Who knows, sounds like it could be closer to the truth though.

10 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Could just be that our decision makers thought “Kalinic is the best we can find for the Championship and with an eye on FFP, but if we get promoted and are rolling in cash maybe we splash out on someone better.” Obviously no-one predicted Steer would grab the shirt and keep it.

No, if that was the case we wouldn't have handed him a massive 5 year contract 

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fat bloke down the pub reckons we arent after Butland.

Fat bloke reading this on the toilet before work would be happy with that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Kalinic just looks like one of the most pointless signings we have done now. We really are lucky we came up as sounding 7m on another shit in championship is dangerous with ffp

He, McCormack, Hogan anyone else we spent money on - it doesn’t matter now. It all added up to promotion. Sure there was a lot of waste in there but it only adds up to a tiny % of the difference in TV deal alone between Champ and Prem. We should just stop thinking about it and look to the future! If the club think Kalinic is worth having around, great. If they want to sell him and we make a loss, no big deal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Looks class based on that video above. Some worldy saves in there. 

20m for a keeper that could potentially be with us for the next 10 years isn’t a bad deal. 

That's one of the big things for me. If the worst happened and we got relegated in a year or 2 I'm sure we could get £30m+ for him after a season or 2 in the PL, especially as he's only just turned 26.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

That's one of the big things for me. If the worst happened and we got relegated in a year or 2 I'm sure we could get £30m+ for him after a season or 2 in the PL, especially as he's only just turned 26.

I think that logic is playing a big part in our transfer strategy.

Worst case, we will have big, saleable assets to allow us to offset of costs and reinvest in the squad without breaching FFP etc.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Kalinic just looks like one of the most pointless signings we have done now. We really are lucky we came up as sounding 7m on another shit in championship is dangerous with ffp

Pointless? 

We had a disaster of a keeper and a number 2 that should have retired years ago.  Our keeper was costing us points on a weekly basis. We needed someone that could replace him from the first game in January that’s how bad he was. 

There is no way we were going to find a keeper on the level of Kalinic in such quick team.  Even when he played in he was a massive improvement on Nyland. Had he stayed in goal once our defence was sorted he would have been just fine. 

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Do players ever get a lowlights video produced for them?

If they did, that would surely offer just us much insight without any context for the individual clips.

If it makes you feel better I don't think Micah Richards will have a highlight reel of his time at Villa anytime soon.

Â