Jack Butland

alreadyexists

13 hours ago, Thats2 said:

I’d love for us to be in for Walter Benitez, especially if we want to play it out from the back. He’ll be Argentina’s #1 soon enough.

Gerónimo Rulli >_>

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes it can? 

6ft 7 is 6ft 7 - and the lack of agility comes with it.

You want to coach agility while he faces some of the best strikers in the PL - your call....I wouldnt .

1 minute ago, hippo said:

6ft 7 is 6ft 7 - and the lack of agility comes with it.

You want to coach agility while he faces some of the best strikers in the PL - your call....I wouldnt .

Not sure what you're getting at. You just said something that was incorrect, thus I pointed it out. 

Personally I'd keep Steer in goal. Until he has a bad patch, regardless of us signing Butland.  

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure what you're getting at. You just said something that was incorrect, thus I pointed it out. 

Personally I'd keep Steer in goal. Until he has a bad patch, regardless of us signing Butland.  

Yeah because Butland would come to us to sit on the bench.  

You can argue for because Steer has earnt it, you can argue against it because of sentiment.

Reality though is that Butland won’t sit on the bench.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I thought I was quite clear. But just for clarification I don't think Kalinic is very agile.

As much as I think Steer deserves a chance in the PL, we can't afford to give him that chance and not sign a top quality GK like Butland. I think £20m is pretty cheap for a 26-year old England international, regardless of the league he currently plays in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You don't sign a £20m Goalkeeper and then put him on the bench. If Steer was good enough to be our regular starter we wouldn't be signing Butland in the first place.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

How much do people think Steer is worth, and would he get in to any other PL side?

I think less, probably only £1-2m ... shame but I think that’s realistically what we would get for him. Last year of the contract too I think? 

• Like 3

Jed Steer, the guy that helped us win in the shoot out against the tescos in the semi final and kept a cool head in the last 20 mins of the play off final?.....give the guy a break! 

16 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Jed Steer, the guy that helped us win in the shoot out against the tescos in the semi final and kept a cool head in the last 20 mins of the play off final?.....give the guy a break! 

At the end of the day, we can't be sentimental to the detriment of the team. Steer deserves gratitude and respect for how he played and was definitely helped us achieve promotion. Is he good enough to start in the Prem? Probably not, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

How much do people think Steer is worth, and would he get in to any other PL side?

I m surprised a part swap with buckland hasnt been mentioned. Steer is proven in the championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

49 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Realistically? 5-7m.

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think less, probably only £1-2m ... shame but I think that’s realistically what we would get for him. Last year of the contract too I think? 

We had this discussion in another thread (where someone suggested he was worth £10-15m)

I think @alreadyexists is closest. If we got offered £5m or anything close then we'd sell.

I don't think he'd get into many, if any, other premier league sides.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

At the end of the day, we can't be sentimental to the detriment of the team. Steer deserves gratitude and respect for how he played and was definitely helped us achieve promotion. Is he good enough to start in the Prem? Probably not, unfortunately. 

From what I saw Jed had very few weaknesses to his keeping, though it's not a position I'm an expert on by any means.  I'd happily keep him and Kalinic but I won't begrudge Smith and Suso if we do sign someone like Butland.

I'm all for Steer staying,  one player who is likely to keep showing his worth which he more than shown for us last season, think some are being abit tough on him and underestimating him.

I think Steer could take his game further if you ask me, certainly a no2 keeper if we sign another, this would be our third keeper signing since last season and I wouldn't be surprised if Steer gave any new keeper a run for there money like he did Nyland and Kalanic.

• Like 1

Â