Jack Butland

alreadyexists

Yeah I've come completely around to this signing. He's a very good keeper and while we might have one that's doing a good job right now, it never hurts to improve and it also shows that we really mean business this summer as GK is like 4th or 5th most important position that needs addressing this season.

• Like 2

A lot of people think we should be looking to just survive, but I genuinely feel thats a small club mentality. We know we're a big club, we're back where we need to be- whats the point in just surviving?  Attack the league and show ambition, thats the clear message im getting from the guys at the top and DS. Actions speak louder than words, and the actions early on in this transfer window have been very promising. Flood the team with quality, around SJG and SJM, we wont go far wrong. The fact we released so many players before getting any in shows how confident we are to get this right.

im excited lena dunham GIF by Girls on HBO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

Touch all the wood, but it seems to have been one injury, a fractured ankle for which he's had a couple of surgeries that kept him out for a season. Since then he's played two full seasons.

Thanks for correcting me

Hopefully this will be one we can look back on and say money well spent. Seems steep to me only because I've never watched him and thought he was brilliant.

Great age and no "settling in" needed, he probably won't even have to move house.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah I've come completely around to this signing. He's a very good keeper and while we might have one that's doing a good job right now, it never hurts to improve and it also shows that we really mean business this summer as GK is like 4th or 5th most important position that needs addressing this season.

Yeah I’m coming round to being more positive than I initially was (it’s partly all these big numbers, I’m still struggling to get to grips with them on occasion).

Ultimately if Dean and the club want him, that’s good enough for me. Like I said earlier, I don’t think this would prove to be a bad signing, my concern is more just is he absolutely the right signing. 

But people seem confident in him, he kept a lot of clean sheets in a Stoke side who had a hard time last season (I read 18 from 45 games), he’s young, knows the area, he’s “a name” which is always nice to see us attract. There are plenty of positives.

I know people would ask the same question about Grealish, but how come he stayed with Stoke when they went down? Loyalty? A belief they’d come flying back up? Does anyone know if there was much serious interest in him before now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To me it’s not a luxury, it’s a necessity.  

Next year we are going mostly to be playing teams better than us.  Our defence is going to be battered every week because we are likely to be underdogs more often than not.

The goalkeeper will be the key position next season. Good shot stopper, claims crosses, commands his area, organises his defence and doesn’t make silly mistakes often.  

For me, the goalkeeper position could be the difference between relegation or not.  

For me, we must get the best keeper we can whatever the cost.  Assume 40 points safety, a goalkeeper saves two winning positions from draws, that’s 4 points, that’s 10% of what we need

Remember we just had 3 years in the championship, the play off final was a 170m game.  The way money keeps going up that could be a lot more than that next time. 20m for a keeper, if that’s what it costs, is a necessity for me not a luxury.

Personally I have been scarred by the relegation season where we flopped between Guzan and Bunn a good few times hoping to get a performance from one of them. They were both shite and not up to standard, and our season was doomed.

I don't want us going into a season with any question marks over goalkeepers. Kalinic and Steer for me are question marks at this stage. Butland is a far safer bet.

• Like 4

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I am a little surprised he wasn’t snapped up when Stoke got relegated. 

Would have cost a good £35m I think, Stoke had the parachute money to back them up and were probably confident of bouncing back.

Reality is setting in for them now and they will be hoarding money for the long winters ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So is there any evidence this has been done or not?

It's hard to keep track in this thread, loads talking about that a he's a good signing, but I don't see anything implying we have signed him?

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

So is there any evidence this has been done or not?

It's hard to keep track in this thread, loads talking about that a he's a good signing, but I don't see anything implying we have signed him?

This is more a ‘forum’ or ‘fan board’ where people chatter and discuss potential signings like this but then they will probably do the official announcement elsewhere, on the club site perhaps 😉

• Like 1

Now we’re linked in the press with loads of players again, after years where no-one gave a toss, I guess it’s time for someone to say: ITSOTP

Edited by HKP90

Â