Jack Butland

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Scott Carson was England number 2 at one point. 

He was England No.1 to be fair (for 8 minutes)

England went 2-0 down when Scott Carson, in for Paul Robinson, fumbled Nico Kranjcar's shot into the net and then Ivica Olic slipped in a second.

Goals: Kranjcar 8, Olic 14, Petric 77.

There's no room for sentiment towards Steer. Get Butland in.

He won't be Englands number 2 for long. That Pickford is rapidly disappearing up his own arse, just like what happened to Joe Hart. Butland is more mentally stable.

35 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

So is there any evidence this has been done or not?

It's hard to keep track in this thread, loads talking about that a he's a good signing, but I don't see anything implying we have signed him?

Still just speculation, there’s been a few ‘confirmations’ on twitter but I wouldn’t give too much weight to those. Some are more reliable than others though, and a few people connected with the club have mentioned it.

I doubt it’s actually done though, as Villa would announce it publicly. It’s an old addage but ITSOTP is the only way to be sure!

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He was England No.1 to be fair (for 8 minutes)

I remember Carson, in that grey pyjama Nike kit, looking like he was well worth the £10 mil asking price Liverpool had put on him...up until that England game.

That error completely destroyed him and wasn't up to much after that.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I am a little surprised he wasn’t snapped up when Stoke got relegated. 

A colleague of mine went to school with him and Butland was telling people last summer that he was signing for Liverpool before they got Alisson. Apparently this summer he's saying that he's definitely moving to the Premier League, but that's all my colleague knows. Hopefully we're the team he moves to, as I think he'd earn us a fair few points this season.

• Like 1

He has to be playing in the Premier League with the Euros coming up. If he stays at Stoke then he's waving goodbye to 2 more years of International football potential. If Southgate won't consider Grealish because he's not playing at the top level then the same has to apply to Butland. 

• Like 1

If Kalinic or Nyland are good enough to be number 2, and are happy to fight Butland (or whoever our new keeper will be), then the clever thing to do would be to sell Steer while his stock is highest.

That probably sounds harsh, but too many times in the past ten years we’ve let a player go when they’re literally at the lowest point in their career. Say we could get £7m for Steer because of his recent form (which is the best and highest level he has played at in his whole life), then we should take the money and use that towards the rebuild.

Then again, there’s a big, questionable ‘IF’ in there, right at the start.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

How much would Dean Henderson cost compared to Butland, and is he any good?

Pretty much agreed to go back to Sheffield United on season long loan, it will be confirmed when he comes back from under 21 euros. Good move for all parties as he might have a chance of being Man. United number 1 in a few years.

I just don't think Butland is that good tbh, would rather have Etheridge for likely half the price.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

He has to be playing in the Premier League with the Euros coming up. If he stays at Stoke then he's waving goodbye to 2 more years of International football potential. If Southgate won't consider Grealish because he's not playing at the top level then the same has to apply to Butland. 

He's been in every England squad since WC hasn't he?

England have about 3 good keepers and then next up is Joe Hart so think Butland spot in squad is safe even if he stays in the championship but it's more personal ambition he wants to play again in premier league.

39 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Pretty much agreed to go back to Sheffield United on season long loan, it will be confirmed when he comes back from under 21 euros. Good move for all parties as he might have a chance of being Man. United number 1 in a few years.

I just don't think Butland is that good tbh, would rather have Etheridge for likely half the price.

Butland is much more proven than Etheridge and younger.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Heaton > Pickford > Butland.  

I think in organisation this may be fair. But for reaction saves/one on ones...

Pickford=Butland>Heaton

I'm not a huge fan of Butland to be honest. £20m feels expensive and it will be even more than that. It's the sort of transfer we can hopefully look back on in three years though and just laugh at what a bargain we've got.

With what will possibly be a completely new defence for Aston Villa in front of him, I think a British keeper who doesn't need to settle into anything other than the team will be a plus.

Pickford loves doing epic dives for saves that he could stay on his feet for. He's a right show pony and he's made a decent number of errors trying to be the star. He can also make some stunners, don't get me wrong. 

Pickford has a horrible habit of showing how far he can kick it. Like to blam it out of play for a goal kick at the other end couple of times a match. He must think that's good.

Â