Jack Butland

alreadyexists

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have been converted by this kind of reasoning.

You can only start one goalkeeper every week, so if you are presented with an opportunity and can afford to sign one of genuine quality who is clearly an upgrade no matter how much we appreciate the current guy, with his best years ahead of him then you absolutely should do so. It doesn't matter if you messed up the last one you signed, or the one before that, you have to keep going until you get it right.

If/when we get it right, we might not need to look for another for at least half a decade. Wouldn't that be nice?

Pep would agree with your logic. I have always been a big fan of always get the best keeper you can, as long as you aren't being ripped off. Keepers can literally earn you points on their own! 20m for Butland? I ain't paying so sign him up 😁

• Like 2

I know it’s a highlights reel, and it’s just YouTube and they’ve just picked the best bits... but bloody hell, there are some good saves in there. Not to mention some good goalkeeping, positioning, reactions. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Pep would agree with your logic. I have always been a big fan of always get the best keeper you can, as long as you aren't being ripped off. Keepers can literally earn you points on their own! 20m for Butland? I ain't paying so sign him up 😁

If you were paying would you draw the line at £19m?

8 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Butland is much more proven than Etheridge and younger.

He's only really had two seasons as a premier league regular (missed most of 16/17 through injury). So not that more experience at top level than Etheridge. Age for a keeper isn't really a problem compared to outfield ones.

I just think for probably 10m more is he really that much better? I've mentioned before in some games his kicking is Guzan level.

For last 18 months in the premier league Stoke were a total mess at the back. Of course it wasn't all his fault but Stoke had some experienced players at the back (martins Indi, Zouma, Eric Pieters, Shawcross) so you'd have thought Butland would've been able to organise that to keep shape a bit better.

Not convinced really. Like a few links so far we can do better or at least find better value.

Edited by VillaChris

8 hours ago, Junxs said:

Butland is better than Pickford and he's definitely better than Heaton

Disagree, Heaton is a very solid keeper and actually good at organising. Look at Burnley's defensive run with Hart in goal up to xmas last year and then when Heaton came in. Overnight they went from conceding 3 or 4 to being very hard to score against, that's not fluke, just more confidence in him from their backline.

He's firmly back as Burnley number one so don't see him leaving, Nick Pope could be worth a look but didn't he sign a new deal very recently?

Pickford had generally world cup hangover season but did calm down at the end. Everton played Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man. United in run in and didn't concede a goal in any of those games.

Just not convinced by Butland compared to many options, probably clouding my judgement SHA will get some cash aswell to help with their shoestring budget.

7 hours ago, villadodo said:

I think he is a top goalkeeper. The only thing is what would this say about Kalinic and our recruitment? He has only played a handful of games. Ok he wasn't great but are we just writing him off? That would make me more worried about the Wesley transfer.

Even if we signed Butland I still think Steer has earned the right to start the season with the shirt. He has done very well for us last season as well as two good loan spells at Charlton and Huddersfield. We've never given him the trust to make the shirt his own. We tried Gollini, Johnstone, Nyland and Kalinic and after all that the goalkeeper who helped take us out of the Championship was at the club all along.

The "word" around twitter is Kalinic hasn't settled since moving so seems he wants to move back abroad. One of Nyland/him will certainly leave. We certainly can't be having four international standard keepers in the squad (if Steer plays for Scotland in near future).

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

OK cheers so likely Butland is moving...but where?

Bournemouth certainly want him, was talk of them giving Begovic back to Stoke if he lowers his wages (flopped badly at Bournemouth).

I'd say Begovic impressed me more when he played for Stoke compared to Butland but his career never recovered from that year on the bench at Chelsea.

@alreadyexists Bloody superb saves in that compilation.. and its only saves from 2018. 

Hes a superb shot stopper, and his other general goalkeeping is top notch too.

Nothing annoys me more than when I hear/read people say "but you expect your goalkeeper to be a good shot stopper" , its like saying you expect your striker to be a good finisher and look at his other attributes when it comes to signing them. It would be like putting Aguero under the same umbrella as Clinton Morrison because their other attributes are similar.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

The "word" around twitter is Kalinic hasn't settled since moving so seems he wants to move back abroad. One of Nyland/him will certainly leave. We certainly can't be having four international standard keepers in the squad (if Steer plays for Scotland in near future).

There is no way Nyland will ever play for us in the Premier League.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I hope this happens. Other positions, I'm happy to see unknown bargain starlets uncovered by our scouts, but goalkeeper is different - if you can, get an established known quantity, it's worth spending money on. 

Only thing is, he'll have to become 'Johnny' Butland, or some such - there's only room for one Jack in our team! 

Jack could be the new Jordan! 

Edit: Jack Clarke might be next! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Jack could be the new Jordan! 

Edit: Jack Clarke might be next! 

We already have a Jack Clarke in the youth team. Imagine having 2 of them!

Edit: Remembered when we had 2 James Collins

Edited by Junxs

38 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don't understand why people care about that so much, we are clearly the bigger club so it shouldn't bother us.. I can understand them being jealous but why do some of our fans hate them so much?

It saddens me that people hate their local rivals so much that it clouds their judgement on good players.

Personally I hate all the Man Utd and Liverpool fans in our area and have far more respect for Blues fans than those plastic fans.

The office I work in Lichfield has more Liverpool & Man Utd fans than Blues & Villa fans by a ratio of 3:1 

I don't care that Butland or Jota played for the Blues one bit

To be fair we still owe them a bit for taking both Gardners off us. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, villadodo said:

I think he is a top goalkeeper. The only thing is what would this say about Kalinic and our recruitment? He has only played a handful of games. Ok he wasn't great but are we just writing him off? That would make me more worried about the Wesley transfer.

Even if we signed Butland I still think Steer has earned the right to start the season with the shirt. He has done very well for us last season as well as two good loan spells at Charlton and Huddersfield. We've never given him the trust to make the shirt his own. We tried Gollini, Johnstone, Nyland and Kalinic and after all that the goalkeeper who helped take us out of the Championship was at the club all along.

Could just be that our decision makers thought “Kalinic is the best we can find for the Championship and with an eye on FFP, but if we get promoted and are rolling in cash maybe we splash out on someone better.” Obviously no-one predicted Steer would grab the shirt and keep it.

In the highlights video posted he doesn’t seem to hold much - everything is a punch or a save that rebounds off (admittedly to the side) - but i am guessing that’s because it’s highlights and those who watch him would say he does hold on to his fair share? Nothing nicer than when a keeper can claim the ball and relieve pressure, rather than tipping it over for a corner or whatever.

Never been impressed with Kalinic, anything was going to be an upgrade on Nyland, but he wasnt much of an upgrade. Theres a reason he's only played at a level as high as Gent; looked nervy when playing I thought and never filled me with much confidence. Think we paid over the odds because he became Croatia's #1 by default.

think Bardell said on his podcast it was more Suso getting him in than Dean Smith.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

In the highlights video posted he doesn’t seem to hold much - everything is a punch or a save that rebounds off (admittedly to the side) - but i am guessing that’s because it’s highlights and those who watch him would say he does hold on to his fair share? Nothing nicer than when a keeper can claim the ball and relieve pressure, rather than tipping it over for a corner or whatever.

I was thinking the same - there seemed to be a lot of punches, albeit to the side and away from danger.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Never been impressed with Kalinic, anything was going to be an upgrade on Nyland, but he wasnt much of an upgrade.

Spoiler

Theres a reason he's only played at a level as high as Gent;

Spoiler

We've just spent 22 mill on a striker from the same league 🤔

• Haha 1

Â