Jack Butland

alreadyexists

47 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I hope our people are more hard-headed than that, and fortunately I think they are.

If you are saying he is good enough to be our number one in the Premier League, Del, then I have to respectfully disagree.

Hi, I well I think he is good enough for our back up, but obviously untested in the prem as most of our team are!

I just feel that Villa management are doing the right thing and are building around the team spirit that was obvious to all last season. I don't really want us to throw tons of money at over inflated priced players because we can.....and then do "a Fulham" . Nor panic buy!

I think (I hate to say it) but the Wolves model seems to be the best way, that is keep the core team and add to it, rather than replace the whole team. Replacing the whole team will go either way the  "Fulham way" or unless we are owned by an oil rich middle eastern country like man c£ty.....

2 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Hi, I well I think he is good enough for our back up, but obviously untested in the prem as most of our team are!

I just feel that Villa management are doing the right thing and are building around the team spirit that was obvious to all last season. I don't really want us to throw tons of money at over inflated priced players because we can.....and then do "a Fulham" . Nor panic buy!

I think (I hate to say it) but the Wolves model seems to be the best way, that is keep the core team and add to it, rather than replace the whole team. Replacing the whole team will go either way the  "Fulham way" or unless we are owned by an oil rich middle eastern country like man c£ty.....

Problem is that half of our core team were loans, Hause, El Ghazi, Tammy, Mings and Axel. Now we have signed two of those, looks like two are no go’s and we hope on Ming’s.

A fair number of players that were rotating but core like Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton etc have left.  So as for core you are struggling past Grealish and McGinn re core players.  

Then arguables like Taylor and  Hourihane and the debate whether they are good enough for PL.

love to keep the core but let’s hope we can keep/acquire the best of those above and then turn it into Smith 2.0 team with similar spirit and togetherness with the addition of quality.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Problem is that half of our core team were loans, Hause, El Ghazi, Tammy, Mings and Axel. Now we have signed two of those, looks like two are no go’s and we hope on Ming’s.

A fair number of players that were rotating but core like Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton etc have left.  So as for core you are struggling past Grealish and McGinn re core players.  

Then arguables like Taylor and  Hourihane and the debate whether they are good enough for PL.

love to keep the core but let’s hope we can keep/acquire the best of those above and then turn it into Smith 2.0 team with similar spirit and togetherness with the addition of quality.

Exactly. We need a new spine which is why it’s such a difficult summer.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Nantes in negotiations for Kalinić according to @footmercato on twitter.

Fingers crossed we can get £7m or so back for him, then chuck it at Stoke for Butland with the extra £13m. I'd be happy having Steer and Butland fighting it out for the number one spot. But Steer has not earned that position outright based on 16 games in the Championship, despite his fantastic performances in the play-offs.

46 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

But Steer has not earned that position outright 

Is this a lazy amalgamation of the two keeper's names cos you can't be bothered to address them seperately?

• Haha 2

I think the pursuit of Butland is right.

It is tough on Jed, but the club has to come first......There has to be competition for places.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the pursuit of Butland is right.

It is tough on Jed, but the club has to come first......There has to be competition for places.

That’s my thinking too TRO. It’s a shame, but there’s a time for sentimentality and I don’t think this is it. But like I posted earlier in ther thread, if Jed is better he’ll take his chance when he gets it. 

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That’s my thinking too TRO. It’s a shame, but there’s a time for sentimentality and I don’t think this is it. But like I posted earlier in ther thread, if Jed is better he’ll take his chance when he gets it. 

The thing for me is this......Its possibly the most crucial position to get right.....Remenber Clough and Shilton, first and best signing according to him..... and Saunders signing Rimmer.....Mark Bosnich was crucial to us too.

He will keep us up, I am sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I agree. He absolutely deserves to be our number two.

As to Wolves, you are totally correct, but the core that took them up was much larger than ours was, and so we have to add lot more players.

Adds to the excitement of the window.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing for me is this......Its possibly the most crucial position to get right.....Remenber Clough and Shilton, first and best signing according to him..... and Saunders signing Rimmer.....Mark Bosnich was crucial to us too.

He will keep us up, I am sure.

It was different in those days though as the transfer window stayed open until March.

We could risk giving the young Bosnich a chance to prove himself, but nowadays the window closes before a ball is kicked so if you get it wrong there's no option to fix until January.

In the era you speak of if things weren't going well you could just replace a player willy nilly

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It was different in those days though as the transfer window stayed open until March.

We could risk giving the young Bosnich a chance to prove himself, but nowadays the window closes before a ball is kicked so if you get it wrong there's no option to fix until January.

In the era you speak of if things weren't going well you could just replace a player willy nilly

yeah, I get that.

its is much more difficult with Windows.

However, my point was a general one of how important goal keepers are and yes you are right we can't risk going in to the new season with just one, who is yet to prove himself in the top flight......Jed is a little short for me, for a goal keeper , but that's just me.

below 6'2 and I get nervy......but they have to be competent too.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

yeah, I get that.

However, my point was a general one of how important goal keepers are and yes you are right we can't risk going in to the new season with just one, who is yet to prove himself in the top flight......Jed is a little short for me, for a goal keeper , but that's just me.

I know, I was actually agreeing with you but just commenting on the Bosnich part (forgot to bold his name when quoting)

It's a shame in a way as that wouldn't happen nowadays, because of when the window shuts you can't take a risk on a young keeper any more. Don't believe Bozzie would have been given the opportunity had todays rules been in force back then. 

Personally I feel bad for Steer as I think he deserves a chance after his heroics to prove himself in the prem, but there is no way I'd want to go into the season taking a risk like that knowing if it doesnt work out we'd have to wait until January to fix it.

Goalkeeper must be the most difficult position to breakthrough these days, not only do established keepers retire far later than outfield players, but there is only 1 position per team. Goalkeepers tend not to get injured as often either especially when you consider how much they are protected by refs these days.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

yeah, I get that.

You must have hated Given... 

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I hope our people are more hard-headed than that, and fortunately I think they are.

If you are saying he is good enough to be our number one in the Premier League, Del, then I have to respectfully disagree.

And I have to respectfully disagree with your disagreeing all while I hope he shows his critics they are wrong.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

I agree. He absolutely deserves to be our number two.

As to Wolves, you are totally correct, but the core that took them up was much larger than ours was, and so we have to add lot more players.

Adds to the excitement of the window.

And what did Wolves do with the steady goalkeeper who had served them so well in The Championship? 

Relegated to number 2 when they signed a new £18m number 1 for the Premier League. 

Â