Jack Butland

alreadyexists

The keeper is most important position on the pitch imo, and Jack Butland would be a huge improvement on what we have. 

On top of that he is still young so would retain his value should the worst happen next season. 

It's a no brainer for me. 

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Pointless? 

We had a disaster of a keeper and a number 2 that should have retired years ago.  Our keeper was costing us points on a weekly basis. We needed someone that could replace him from the first game in January that’s how bad he was. 

There is no way we were going to find a keeper on the level of Kalinic in such quick team.  Even when he played in he was a massive improvement on Nyland. Had he stayed in goal once our defence was sorted he would have been just fine. 

I think him getting after the wba game - and thus enter steer...probably got us promoted.....(imo)

This is starting to have the feel of the whole Henry saga, Stoke fans in the know seem to think that we've enquired about him but haven't put in a bid, they seem to think that Bournemouth will be his more likely destination.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Pointless? 

We had a disaster of a keeper and a number 2 that should have retired years ago.  Our keeper was costing us points on a weekly basis. We needed someone that could replace him from the first game in January that’s how bad he was. 

There is no way we were going to find a keeper on the level of Kalinic in such quick team.  Even when he played in he was a massive improvement on Nyland. Had he stayed in goal once our defence was sorted he would have been just fine. 

I meant in terms of when we had steer

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I meant in terms of when we had steer

Steer was dismissed by the past management twice. Nobody knew he could or would he good enough. It suprised everyone. 

Kalinic signing made a lot of sense at the time and most people said that. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

With all this talk of Butland it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up announcing someone completely left-field like Pau Lopez.

Watch...  We'll now be linked to him in some rag within 48 hours, just because you posted this here. 

I used to joke around about Joe Kinnear signing on Vital Villa, VillaTalk, and even TBAR when we started going through the revolving door of managers after MON walked out.  The first time I posted something on Vital Villa, a journalist actually called Kinnear for a statement and he was completely baffled.  Said something along the lines of "Lerner would be stupid to pass on other managers over him, but if they gave him a call he would definitely consider the offer."  There have been numerous Daily Mail/Sun/Telegraph articles published over the years whenever I even mentioned Crazy Joe during our hunt for a new manager...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Watch...  We'll now be linked to him in some rag within 48 hours, just because you posted this here. 

I think VT conducted it's very own journalist honey trap a few years ago 😂

22 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's only really had two seasons as a premier league regular (missed most of 16/17 through injury). So not that more experience at top level than Etheridge. Age for a keeper isn't really a problem compared to outfield ones.

I just think for probably 10m more is he really that much better? I've mentioned before in some games his kicking is Guzan level.

For last 18 months in the premier league Stoke were a total mess at the back. Of course it wasn't all his fault but Stoke had some experienced players at the back (martins Indi, Zouma, Eric Pieters, Shawcross) so you'd have thought Butland would've been able to organise that to keep shape a bit better.

Not convinced really. Like a few links so far we can do better or at least find better value.

You have a point, but equally you could say that Etheridge has only had one good season for a poor Cardiff team. You say his kicking is Guzan level, but Cardiff were very direct and I wouldn't be confident that Etheridge can play out from the back with his feet at all.

Stoke were a complete shambles when they went down and for one or two seasons before that, it's harsh to judge Butland on that. Last season he was by far and away their best player and easily won their player of the season and won them many points for exceptional saves he made in games. 

There is of course some element of risk in this, but if the club feel that Butland would be better for a few million more then I'd back them. I think if we get the Butland deal right and integrate him well into the team he would be more of a long-term bet; whereas Etheridge I feel could be good for one or two seasons as we're trying to keep ourselves in the league but will inevitably need to be upgraded to better when our ambitions become loftier. That's why I think Butland is the sounder investment. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

With all this talk of Butland it wouldn't surprise me if we ended up announcing someone completely left-field like Pau Lopez.

I’d love for us to be in for Walter Benitez, especially if we want to play it out from the back. He’ll be Argentina’s #1 soon enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think that logic is playing a big part in our transfer strategy.

Worst case, we will have big, saleable assets to allow us to offset of costs and reinvest in the squad without breaching FFP etc.

I think you're absolutely right about our transfer strategy, and to be fair I can't see any other way of doing it. We may very well be back in the EFL next season, back being judged on a rolling three years of losses etc. 

I just wonder who is better, Butland or Kalinic? Before coming here and getting injured Kalinic was a very good keeper.

We slso have Steer and Nyland on the pine already so if we bring in Butland do we ship off Kalinic?

41 minutes ago, gordy said:

I just wonder who is better, Butland or Kalinic? Before coming here and getting injured Kalinic was a very good keeper.

We slso have Steer and Nyland on the pine already so if we bring in Butland do we ship off Kalinic?

On what basis was Kalinic a good keeper ? 

He doesnt look agile enough - and that isnt something that can be coached. 

Now the rags are saying that we're "Set to bid for Butland this week"...  So, it went from the rumor mill acting like we're about to announce him any minute now, to backpedaling and saying we haven't even bid, but will this week?  They really don't have a clue, do they?

• Like 2

Â