Jack Butland

alreadyexists

There’s been a lot of chat about us going after him in the general speculation thread, now some of the more “reputable” (pinch of salt still required) sources have picked up on it, I thought he deserves his own thread. 

Sky Sports Jack Butland

Aston Villa have joined Bournemouth in the chase for England goalkeeper Jack Butland, Sky Sports News understands.

But either Premier League club will need to bid in excess of £20m to persuade Stoke City to sell him.

Former Birmingham stopper Butland still has two years left on his Stoke contract, but the club's Player of the Season is keen on a move back to the Premier League - or abroad - in order to improve his chances with the national team.

Sky Sports News has been told he has a number of options that are currently in progression.

He's never looked the same since that long-term injury whilst he was around the England set-up, but then again he is 26....before that he was one of the brightest prospects in the country.

Not too sure on this one.

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 1

Just now, KMitch said:

He could possibly be our starting goalkeeper for the long haul.  If that's the case, then 20 Million is a good investment into the position.  

i agree, hes fairly young, 6ft 5 which is ideal for a top keeper, looks good, i agree he could be our number 1 for many years.

but.....is this just trash paper talk like all the other rumours they have completely got wrong?

Before yesterday I did not believe this rumour. Yesterday has changed everything. Our owners really appear to mean business. This would be another sign of that. He is a top keeper which is something we have lacked for years and years. I would love this to happen.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of signing Butland.

The only problem, is that supposed sell-on clause meaning that the unwashed get (I believe) 20% of the fee.

I wonder, though, does that only relate to the upfront fee, or all subsequent add-ons as well? If it's the former, then we should just offer Stoke a cleverly structured deal. Something like £1.50 up front, then the remaining £19,999,998.50 after he attends one training session.

Saying that, I'm still not comfortable with us giving blues 30p to pop in their electric meter.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm I’m not feeling 100% enthusiastic about this one. Not against it, just not on tenterhooks watching the saga unfold.

I think I liked the sound of Etheridge for around the £10m mark more than the proposed deal of Butland for £20m+. Think that’s part of the reason.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it would be a bad signing, just wondering if the difference in value is the England tax in effect, rather than a reflection of their respective abilities.

Happy to be persuaded otherwise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hmmm I’m not feeling 100% enthusiastic about this one. Not against it, just not on tenterhooks watching the saga unfold.

I think I liked the sound of Etheridge for around the £10m mark more than the proposed deal of Butland for £20m+. Think that’s part of the reason.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it would be a bad signing, just wondering if the difference in value is the England tax in effect, rather than a reflection of their respective abilities.

Happy to be persuaded otherwise.

How about if I told you that signing Butland will make all your dreams come true, and that we will finally build the Theme Park and plastic cup museum we've always wanted?

11 minutes ago, Craigy1874 said:

to voice my opinion and hopefully get it closed :)

Why would you want it closed? It’s a speculation thread, tagged as such.

Edited by alreadyexists

Yes please. Position sorted for 10 years/ high resale value. 

I wonder if we can get the fee down if we chuck in some of our outcasts. With a high sell-on percentage on the player, Stoke might just be tempted into doing that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

How about if I told you that signing Butland will make all your dreams come true, and that we will finally build the Theme Park and plastic cup museum we've always wanted?

And it has a gift shop too?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

So is the theme park to follow Lego land and Disney land and be called But Land? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â