Jack Butland

alreadyexists

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And what did Wolves do with the steady goalkeeper who had served them so well in The Championship? 

Relegated to number 2 when they signed a new £18m number 1 for the Premier League. 

Playing him cost them an FA Cup final.

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

You must have hated Given... 

hate's not the right word, just sceptical.

as most younger fans keep telling me football has changed.....I think the top keepers are much taller and dominant now.

Given was a great keeper but not for Villa. He was still good for Villa but he did fumble and flail at balls into the box. He never used to because at Newcastle and City he had his legs and that's worth a good few inches more when jumping and claiming high balls. Once that goes you have a top notch shot stopper still, but still not reaching the shots he used to along with a keeper lowering in confidence the older he got. Friedel was tall enough to compensate for this with us, whilst Given was nowhere near his best days.

That said, it's alright being tall but you've still got to position yourself right and be strong to claim balls in. You can't just rely on height when there's the likes of Wesley who are as tall and years younger with a leap and athleticism that elder keepers won't have. 

Slowly but surely I think that it's getting through that fans think keepers are over protected and will refs will eventually be told to let me contact go. At least I hope so. Keepers can come charging out, leap feet into the air wiping players out and can still be seen as the victim most of the time if they drop the ball. It's dumb as and I hope that things are on the up in that regard. 

McGinn did sod all wrong against Derby but how many were waiting for a flag or whistle just because the keeper rose high and spilled the ball? Plenty of refs would have given it previously. It's just expected, regardless of whether the keepers knee is smashing into the oppositions jaw for example. The jaw was deemed to wipe out the keepers knee. 

I don't know what I'm waffling on about. It's 3am. Good job I'm not in work until 6pm. Yeesh! 

3 hours ago, Wezbid said:

Given was a great keeper but not for Villa. He was still good for Villa but he did fumble and flail at balls into the box. He never used to because at Newcastle and City he had his legs and that's worth a good few inches more when jumping and claiming high balls.

Totally agree with this. Having legs is one of the most important attributes that you need to be a Premier League keeper in this day and age.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Playing him cost them an FA Cup final.

Or got them them 7th, an FA Cup semi and Europa League, you know depending on how you look at it. 

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Or got them them 7th, an FA Cup semi and Europa League, you know depending on how you look at it. 

I was actually talking about Ruddy. He was a shambles in the semi final. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ah sorry, misunderstood. Have a like. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I also think people are focusing too much on Butland's distribution and footballing skills. What works for Man City or Barcelona isn't always best for a newly promoted team, where the keeper will be tested more often. Realistically, we aren't going to find a young keeper who ticks all the boxes, so I'd rather sign a big shotstopper who does the basics well than a modern sweeper-keeper who concedes soft goals.

This, we brought in Nyland last season who's distribution was up there with the best I've seen from a Villa keeper, unfortunately he was horrible at the goalkeeping basics. Next season we will likely need someone to save shots rather than be a focal point playing out from the back, and even so I'm sure Butland is just as capable as Steer.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Totally agree with this. Having legs is one of the most important attributes that you need to be a Premier League keeper in this day and age.

Would you rather a keeper have no legs, can catch the ball but is 3ft tall, or no arms and have to head or kick the ball away?

Edited by a m ole

22 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

For twenty million quid I want everything. If we are paying the the best I expect the best.

£20m is peanuts though in this day and age. 

• Like 1

Just now, jim said:

£20m is peanuts though in this day and age. 

This. £20m gets you a solid keeper, but if you want it all you'll be paying Alison money, and even then you'll get mistakes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is there a single shred of evidence that we are even interested in him? 

A couple of guys from the Villa View who have connections with the club and have called a few signings before they've happened have confirmed we were interested weeks ago. If it happens is a different matter I guess.

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is there a single shred of evidence that we are even interested in him? 

There appears to be genuine ITK's* that are saying this is a done deal and we are just waiting for him to come back from holidays in Burkina Faso or where ever he's gone. Also rumours Kalinic is off to Nantes so I doubt we would be shopping him around unless we had a replacement lined up.

Edited by villa89

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

There appears to be genuine ITK's* that are saying this is a done deal and we are just waiting for him to come back from holidays in Burkina Faso or where ever he's gone. Also rumours Kalinic is off to Nantes so I doubt we would be shopping him around unless we had a replacement lined up.

I hope he’s not in Burkina Faso. The foreign office advise against all but essential travel there due to the terrorism threat. He could conceivably come back as a 3ft keeper with no legs.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

I hope he’s not in Burkina Faso. The foreign office advise against all but essential travel there due to the terrorism threat. He could conceivably come back as a 3ft keeper with no legs.

So his BUT would be on the LAND?

• Haha 1

Â