Jack Butland

alreadyexists

I like Pickford myself. Think he will get much better too. I don't care who plays for England or if Butland is better than Pickford or not. Butland would be worth a lot of points in the Premier League and for that reason he's well worth the money. Could be one of the signings that keeps us in the league.

Is he better than what we have?

Is he available?

Would he fit our system and transfer policy?

Can we afford him?

Anyone that ticks all these boxes needs to be brought in. I can see us being in a position to demand more than £20mil for this guy in the not distant future if we ever needed to sell, bar a bad injury. Makes sense to go for him, just the speculation on him is making me sceptical we're after him, every other player is already at the club before the foreign papers get a whiff of the story. 

• Like 1

I think he is a top goalkeeper. The only thing is what would this say about Kalinic and our recruitment? He has only played a handful of games. Ok he wasn't great but are we just writing him off? That would make me more worried about the Wesley transfer.

Even if we signed Butland I still think Steer has earned the right to start the season with the shirt. He has done very well for us last season as well as two good loan spells at Charlton and Huddersfield. We've never given him the trust to make the shirt his own. We tried Gollini, Johnstone, Nyland and Kalinic and after all that the goalkeeper who helped take us out of the Championship was at the club all along.

Edited by villadodo

27 minutes ago, villadodo said:

I think he is a top goalkeeper. The only thing is what would this say about Kalinic and our recruitment? He has only played a handful of games. Ok he wasn't great but are we just writing him off? That would make me more worried about the Wesley transfer.

Even if we signed Butland I still think Steer has earned the right to start the season with the shirt. He has done very well for us last season as well as two good loan spells at Charlton and Huddersfield. We've never given him the trust to make the shirt his own. We tried Gollini, Johnstone, Nyland and Kalinic and after all that the goalkeeper who helped take us out of the Championship was at the club all along.

The kalinic signing was a bit of a panic one because Nyland was so bad. 

I’ll be honest I don’t rate Kalinic from what I’ve seen, both here and at the stuff from Gent and international. He looks very cumbersome and lacking in agility and I don’t think these natural tendencies improve by settling in. Unpopular opinion; but I prefer/preferred Nyland over him 🙈 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I’ll be honest I don’t rate Kalinic from what I’ve seen, both here and at the stuff from Gent and international. He looks very cumbersome and lacking in agility and I don’t think these natural tendencies improve by settling in. Unpopular opinion; but I prefer/preferred Nyland over him 🙈 

You might be right RE agility but I'd much prefer him to Nyland, a player who makes either a howler or lets in a soft goal pretty much every time he plays, Nyland is right up there among the worst keepers I've ever seen in my time watching football.

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Surprised anyone saw enough of Kalinic to make their mind up. Can barely remember 90 minutes of him. 

As I’ve said on this site quite a few times on this site, I saw him for Croatia against England in the Nations League, he looked outstanding. It would seem foolish that we signed on the back of that one game, did anyone else see that match?

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pickford is just a garbage keeper, Butland is better.

Pickford garbage? How have you come to this conclusion? In my opinion, he’s outstanding for club and country. For me, he played a key role in England’s run to the semi final of the world cup

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Surprised anyone saw enough of Kalinic to make their mind up. Can barely remember 90 minutes of him. 

I wouldn't mind seeing him loaned back to the championship if possible, needs mins in the English game 

2 minutes ago, pete101 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him loaned back to the championship if possible, needs mins in the English game 

Maybe we're trying to offer him as part of any deal for Butland.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

As I’ve said on this site quite a few times on this site, I saw him for Croatia against England in the Nations League, he looked outstanding. It would seem foolish that we signed on the back of that one game, did anyone else see that match?

I saw it and he did look really good, certainly a better performance than any in a Villa shirt.  Also he conceded twice which seems to be his average...

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

The fact we signed him once before just means he was highly rated by the club already. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Pickford garbage? How have you come to this conclusion? In my opinion, he’s outstanding for club and country. For me, he played a key role in England’s run to the semi final of the world cup

Everyone is shit in Pangloss's opinion, especially goalkeepers. 

• Haha 1

Â