Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

On 29/03/2021 at 17:09, WooJung said:

Thing is, teams have adapted their tactics to us, they generally defend with a lower line and double up on our wingers because they figured that's where we're good and they know we're useless attacking through the middle 

Jack yes.  The other three, not so sure (possibly harsh on BT).  But deffo agree about the middle.

I think we are just a relatively easy team to defend against without Jack.  The only threat is the occasional BT worldie or Konsa from a set piece.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont care how bad some might feel wes is he adds a hell of a lot more than davis does.

Davis is shit and not good enough for this level

Harsh, but probably fair. I think a leaner, meaner Wes with a bit of focus could be a real asset. People forget that some of his finishing was excellent in his first season, and he has absolutely zero service.
In fairness to Davis, he only plays in meaningless cup games and where we are losing and chasing the game. No player in recent Villa history has needed a loan move to progress than Keinan.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t remember Wesley offering a hell of a lot more than Davis. Maybe a little bit more, but nothing significant. Both were pretty poor last season. 

You cant be serious mate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t remember Wesley offering a hell of a lot more than Davis. Maybe a little bit more, but nothing significant. Both were pretty poor last season. 

Oprah Winfrey Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just the five goals and one assist difference.

Jackie Chan Thumbs Up GIF

You gotta look at the amount of minutes both players played. We were a very attacking team first half of the season but couldn’t defend for shit. Strikers got chances. 

After lockdown we pretty much parked the bus so strikers didn’t get much of a sniff. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t rate Davis at all.  But I also don’t think Wesley was great and remember thinking he should be dropped for Davis at one point last season his performances had become that bad.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

I only thought he looked really good in one game, against Everton. He was playing quite well in the game he got injured. Scored a couple against  Norwich city's makeshift defence.

Other than that, not much.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I have to be honest, I'm not sure 5 goals is a significant contribution, especislly when 3 came in 1 game. 

Wes is better than Davis though. 

Half a season though lets not forget. Also with poorer players around him. 

The guy came from abroad he needed to settle  didnt he score also in the game he got injured?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Half a season though lets not forget. Also with poorer players around him. 

The guy came from abroad he needed to settle  didnt he score also in the game he got injured?

I'm not having a go, I'm excited about his return. I just disagree that he contributed significantly more than Davis last year  

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not having a go, I'm excited about his return. I just disagree that he contributed significantly more than Davis last year  

I don’t think it’s close, while Wes wasn’t great for large parts he was contributed far more than Davis did, it’s just not close.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Mate davis hasnt scored in 2 years. I dont even think he has scored at premier league level

Wes wasnt magnificent by any means but For me regardless absolutely no comparison 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It woild be hilarious if someone could do an " Amercas funniest home videos " style montage video side by side of Wesley and Davis worst bits.... wouldn't solve much, but at least would be a good laugh.

Doesn’t that make you some sort of masochist?

• Haha 1

On 31/03/2021 at 15:49, DCJonah said:

I have to be honest, I'm not sure 5 goals is a significant contribution, especislly when 3 came in 1 game. 

Wes is better than Davis though. 

3 didn't come in 1 game.

He scored 1 v Everton, 1 v Arsenal, 2 v Norwich, and 1 v Burnley. They were all pretty tidy finishes.

Wesley is obviously a very flawed player, but his main quality IMO is he is very, very calm in the box, especially with the ball at his feet. Give him a chance in the box on his right foot, and he tends to do the right thing.

The frustration is we haven't seen much evidence of anything else besides those low right foot finishes. No bullet headers, long shots, volleys, creating space for himself with a run, etc. It's all receiving the ball in the box and tucking it into a corner.

I did think his bullying hold-up play was excellent in a few games (Everton H, Man Utd A), but actually Davis is a bit better at this. I suspect this is something Wesley will improve on as he settles and develops a better understanding of Smith's system.

Long term we'll want to sign a target man who has a bit more about him in the air I think. But for now I can see Wesley being a useful player, and definitely a lot better than he gets credit for.

On 31/03/2021 at 22:33, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It woild be hilarious if someone could do an " Amercas funniest home videos " style montage video side by side of Wesley and Davis worst bits.... wouldn't solve much, but at least would be a good laugh.

Chuck Trezeguet in there please.

Total slapstick.

• Thanks 1

Â