Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I disagree....I don't know, what the stats say, can't be bothered to look.....I have seen Pete score some really good headed goals and moreover, he was a threat.

I agree with Brian cloughs comments "if god wanted the ball in the air, he would have put grass up there"......but the practicalities of the game have borne out some magical moments from headed goals...they are exciting and game changing.

Personally, I don't think as a club we put enough emphasis or focus on it as we did years ago.....some of  Peter Withes and Andy Grays headers were sublime...and game changers.

I personally thought Juan Pablo Angel had Wonderful arieal ability, what I'd give to see someone do the things he could in the air for us again. It's like players these days have forgotten how to commit to a ball and put body on the line for the Club they are making millions at.

Do believe Ian Taylor and Ugo Ehiogu also had a very good aerial game, UGO was absolutely brilliant at coming from defence and scoring, something I would love to see Konsa and Ming's do more.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Football isn't really played in the air these days, even in the PL.

Still a nice defensive skill to have but it's not something you should build your team around.

Wesley can and should develop his heading ability, but the main thing is that he must improve his positioning and timing in his runs.

25 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Villa talk logic....The longer a player is out the better he becomes!

15 months away ....This guy is going to be like blinkin superman!

Mate weird comment? All the last few pages have been about is how bad his heading is.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Football isn't really played in the air these days, even in the PL.

Still a nice defensive skill to have but it's not something you should build your team around.

Wesley can and should develop his heading ability, but the main thing is that he must improve his positioning and timing in his runs.

I don't think football was ever built around heading ability but the game certainly seen more involvment that way. It's not played in the air because I think players are not made the way they used to be. The 90s I think were the end of the player who headered the ball home and put his body on the line for his club.

When you have players who fall over with ease, stay down then get up after play acting so much then I'm not surprised you don't see anyone with guts in the air anymore. Those who bitch about everything and anything (yes that includes as as well), the whole game are just never going to be the kind of player who risk Injury's for a goal. The game has changed where it's now a game that accommodates pussys and time wasting more than it does dare devils. So long as football matches have players trying to win tactical fouls and trying to con the ref in one way or another than playing games fairly and losing with pride, you will most likely never see a striker scoring most or a good Portion of his goals a season from aerial's.

Would be great for Wesley to actually add that to his game, he has the Frame for it and he certainly if he used the body and ran into the area could put himself through the ball, defenders and keepers. 

The one thing I hope happens is that Wesley plays much different to Watkins, if he can find a much different side to his attack that makes him and Watkins look and feel so different then we would be fortunate indeed. Watkins and Wesley being both different in size and from what we seen last time Wesley held up the ball up rather well. It's unclear the number of goals Wes could of had if never got injured but both Watkins and Wes have very different play styles and it could in fact end up being a very dangerous combo. Smith should have his options opened up I have always said that teams setting up for just Watkins is much easier than let's say them setting up for Watkins and Wesley. I must say I'm excited to see Wesley and how much in fact he could help the team out alongside Watkins. For one Watkins needs resting here and there, so its how best to use Wes during while Watkins is off and Wes is on, I do think they could learn from eachother ok especially Wes I reckon will certainly benefit from Watkins now.

Yes I am looking forward to seeing Wesley again I must say but i do hope he can pull a comeback career off, if not then I guess it would be to move him on and find a replacement.

One thing I'm concerned of though is our inability to deliver and service our lone strikers, we have been patient with Watkins and yes he's scored for us and done an absolute amazing job, however I fear in Wes doesn't score people will be so quick to jump on his back, even if Wesley has another type of game to him much like Watkins does.

If I remember correctly we were right at the top when it came to crosses made for at least the first half of last season. The issue was that there was usually no one in the box when the crosses came in.

Our lone striker (Wes) was often closer to the sideline than to the penalty spot during our attacks. He wanted to be too involved which would have been fine if we had other players in the box, but we didn't. Was mostly Trez or El Ghazi popping up at the far post that got a sniff of the ball.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

What about the rest though... hey...hey! 

Yeah but your comment timing was as bad as dumping your girlfriend the day before she wins the lottery 😉😂

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do wonder what they saw in him to spend 22 million. Whilst his goals return was decent he hardly looked a world beater at Brugge. They must have seen potential more than anything else.

We haven’t really got a chance to fully make a judgment yet sadly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

If I remember correctly we were right at the top when it came to crosses made for at least the first half of last season. The issue was that there was usually no one in the box when the crosses came in.

Our lone striker (Wes) was often closer to the sideline than to the penalty spot during our attacks. He wanted to be too involved which would have been fine if we had other players in the box, but we didn't. Was mostly Trez or El Ghazi popping up at the far post that got a sniff of the ball.

If I remember when we had Wesley playing before his injury, our Wingers are doing much of what they are doing again in this second bit to the season, which is arrive early and hold, hold and hold until opposition formation has reset, restructured and find us easy to cope with.

Last bit of the season last season and first half of this season we were like lightning, we were not waiting on anyone's if players were there they were there and if not then we cross and went with what was available. Why do it like that?? Well opposition struggles more to deal with balls and players because hearts are racing and Nerves are high and it's been proven time and time again that hitting counters on the fast improves your chances at scoring goals. So what do we do now in the second half of this season is that we revert to our first half of last season. We actually go from being a fast paced passing team (first half of this season) that hits quickly without even thinking and damages an opponent as quick and fast as they can to a slow, poor crossing, waiting for reinforcements to arrive, that do not get us anywhere but poor results much like (first half of last season).

If you really think about it we have the squad to hit hard, hit fast and counter efficiently but the moment we slow down in the final third is when we actually think to hard about our game and try do to much where it always seems to go against us.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I do wonder what they saw in him to spend 22 million. Whilst his goals return was decent he hardly looked a world beater at Brugge. They must have seen potential more than anything else.

Suso sacked for making mediocre signings really but not just that, wasn't he actually pulled up about signing these players more than what he actually should of??

16 hours ago, Spoony said:

I think I’ve forgotten how I much I hated watching Wes. Never seen such a big player player fall over, dive and complain so much. 

Remember that time he pretended to be knocked out when we was losing to Bournemouth or some shit.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Crouch has the record for most headed premier league goals ever. 42% of his goals in his whole career were headers. So whilst not great in the air; he was definitely effective. 

I love these stats but that’s the final one before we got told off ;)

Well he's that tall that every header was virtually a free header 😂

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

If I remember when we had Wesley playing before his injury, our Wingers are doing much of what they are doing again in this second bit to the season, which is arrive early and hold, hold and hold until opposition formation has reset, restructured and find us easy to cope with.

Last bit of the season last season and first half of this season we were like lightning, we were not waiting on anyone's if players were there they were there and if not then we cross and went with what was available. Why do it like that?? Well opposition struggles more to deal with balls and players because hearts are racing and Nerves are high and it's been proven time and time again that hitting counters on the fast improves your chances at scoring goals. So what do we do now in the second half of this season is that we revert to our first half of last season. We actually go from being a fast paced passing team (first half of this season) that hits quickly without even thinking and damages an opponent as quick and fast as they can to a slow, poor crossing, waiting for reinforcements to arrive, that do not get us anywhere but poor results much like (first half of last season).

If you really think about it we have the squad to hit hard, hit fast and counter efficiently but the moment we slow down in the final third is when we actually think to hard about our game and try do to much where it always seems to go against us.

Thing is, teams have adapted their tactics to us, they generally defend with a lower line and double up on our wingers because they figured that's where we're good and they know we're useless attacking through the middle 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I personally thought Juan Pablo Angel had Wonderful arieal ability, what I'd give to see someone do the things he could in the air for us again. It's like players these days have forgotten how to commit to a ball and put body on the line for the Club they are making millions at.

Do believe Ian Taylor and Ugo Ehiogu also had a very good aerial game, UGO was absolutely brilliant at coming from defence and scoring, something I would love to see Konsa and Ming's do more.

He scored 11 headers from 47 goals....in 7 seasons.

On 29/03/2021 at 15:54, Vive_La_Villa said:

Crouch has the record for most headed premier league goals ever. 42% of his goals in his whole career were headers. So whilst not great in the air; he was definitely effective. 

I love these stats but that’s the final one before we got told off ;)

I thought Crouchy was decent in the air.  Shocking when he first came to us and he obviously had never had to jump previously, but he went on loan soemwhere and came back with decent aerial ability.  

And then he went to Pulis land and obviously 90% of training was around aerial bombardments!!

Â