Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

53 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

3 didn't come in 1 game.

He scored 1 v Everton, 1 v Arsenal, 2 v Norwich, and 1 v Burnley. They were all pretty tidy finishes.

Wesley is obviously a very flawed player, but his main quality IMO is he is very, very calm in the box, especially with the ball at his feet. Give him a chance in the box on his right foot, and he tends to do the right thing.

The frustration is we haven't seen much evidence of anything else besides those low right foot finishes. No bullet headers, long shots, volleys, creating space for himself with a run, etc. It's all receiving the ball in the box and tucking it into a corner.

I did think his bullying hold-up play was excellent in a few games (Everton H, Man Utd A), but actually Davis is a bit better at this. I suspect this is something Wesley will improve on as he settles and develops a better understanding of Smith's system.

Long term we'll want to sign a target man who has a bit more about him in the air I think. But for now I can see Wesley being a useful player, and definitely a lot better than he gets credit for.

I think the vid I showed a couple or so pages back showed he can come deep and be involved in the play as well hence why some have mentioned the number 10 role for him.  Not in the bullying role but link play potentially.  To be honest I just want to see him in a better side that plays further up the field than we were last season because so often we were on the back foot.  I know we arent playing well at the moment but Wes isnt ready yet either so hopefully when he does get decent time the team will have gotten over this bad period of form we are in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think the vid I showed a couple or so pages back showed he can come deep and be involved in the play as well 

Ohmissus1.jpg

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Good luck Wes, how can we watch the U23s today??

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/april/Wesley-set-to-start-for-Villa-s-U23s-today/

Wesley is set to start for Aston Villa’s Under-23s in their Premier League 2 clash against Wolves on Friday afternoon, which is live on VillaTV (ko 3pm).

Edited by tomav84

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Is it free to watch Tomav?? Or is there a price and if so what is it please, thankyou..

think it said £1.99 with proceeds going to AVFC foundation

Just now, tomav84 said:

think it said £1.99 with proceeds going to AVFC foundation

Yeah have just seen 1.99. may just spend the coin on it to see how our youths are doing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Assume you watched it then?

Did he break into full stride and did he seem to have the same kind of mobility did you think? 

It won't be starting for like another hour or so?

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Assume you watched it then?

Did he break into full stride and did he seem to have the same kind of mobility did you think? 

No mate sorry it doesn’t start till 3 o’clock just giving my opinion beforehand

Just now, Follyfoot said:

No mate sorry it doesn’t start till 3 o’clock just giving my opinion beforehand

Ah right my bad folks, thought he’d appeared in an U-23 game already in the past week, obvs got my wires crossed sorry!

Most likely scenario is that he picks up another minor injury while he builds up his match fitness. he's been out for so long and it's tricky to prepare the body for match fitness on the training pitch. Especially for such a big guy.

Hopefully he'll be fully fit towards the summer and the club can evaluate a strategy for him before the next season starts.

Edited by sne

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Ah right my bad folks, thought he’d appeared in an U-23 game already in the past week, obvs got my wires crossed sorry!

No problems, will stick up my opinion for what it’s  worth after the game👍

• Like 1

Â