Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Alternatively why would we give up on aomyer that showed promise. Was relatively prolific for a terrible side and if his injury didn't cripple him will only get better. Also if we sell him it would be for a loss which would actually reduce the money we have to buy players with because currently he is an asset but if we sell him he becomes a loss. 

Because we have a striker who is much better. Watkins has now set the bar. We shouldn't accept anything less.

To get to the top you need to raise the standard and be ruthless.

Had Watkins played instead of Wesley last season we would have a much better season and probably not been involved in a relegation scrap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Because we have a striker who is much better. Watkins has now set the bar. We shouldn't accept anything less.

Had Watkins played instead of Wesley last season we would have a much better season and probably not been involved in a relegation scrap.

Alternatively had wesley played the full season we wouldn't have been one point from relegation.

And so what if watkins raised the bar we still need a back up striker and Wesley is a competent player. Who can still develop.

I get you hate wesley but it is really infuriating when you just put one player down over and over and haven't really given him a chance to improve. You forget he is only 23 so younger than watkins and has only played football competitively for 7 years. He wasn't in an academy before that.

And again he becomes a negative asset if we sell him for a loss which means we can't spend as much money due to the rules of ffp how hard is that to understand. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

not sure the point you're making here...that watkins is better than wesley? well that's not even up for debate. just like wes being better than samatta isn't up for debate...so there's no way of knowing what would've happened had he not been injured that day (the day he played his best game for us so would have gone in to the next full of confidence)

if we don't accept anything less, we better flog davis too then...and then chuck silly money at players who are better than watkins. FFP? ah we'll figure that out later. is that your strategy?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is he training with the squad yet?

I know there was the picture of him with them a few weeks back but he could've just been walking out with likes of Doug and then doing a few light jogs around the pitch.

Would be good at least to have him as option for the xmas games as it's going to be a major struggle to put the same 11 out over that period.

Just seen an Instagram video of him doing some ball work with a coach. Running and passing the ball into a small goal. Not quite full squad training yet by the looks of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHtBXH2ggLl

Whatever you think of Wesley's ability, I think he has good character and will do everything he can to recover from this. I also think a lot of his problems last season were mental, and will improve over time, regardless of the injury.

Be keen to see him given a proper chance in this side. We can't rely on Watkins to put in a shift for 90 mins every match.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Be keen to see him given a proper chance in this side. We can't rely on Watkins to put in a shift for 90 mins every match.

Agree on Wesley's character but if Watkins doesn't get a contact injury I think it's likely we can rely on him for 90 minutes every week. He played all 90 minutes in 47 of 49 games for Brentford last season. The other 2 were him getting subbed in the 88th minute for a standing ovation after a hat trick in a 3-1 win and also him being subbed in the 82nd minute after scoring in a game they won 5-1.

I think it's important to have a back up striker that at least might score if he plays so I'm still glad Wesley is returning.

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Whatever you think of Wesley's ability, I think he has good character and will do everything he can to recover from this. I also think a lot of his problems last season were mental, and will improve over time, regardless of the injury.

Yes we can

If he is fit he plays every week. 

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

What I like is seeing all the other players posting positive comments.

I really don't think we can judge Wesley entirely on one half season where the team around him were utterly shite.  Replacing Hourihane and El Ghazi in the XI behind him with Barkley and an advanced Grealish, not to mention Luiz 2.0 over Nakamba, will give him a lot more opportunity than just the hoofball rubbish we ended up doing in the first half of last season.  The lad scored a few goals, started looking decent after acclimatising to British football and then got taken out.  Watkins has been fantastic yes, but IMO Wes provides a very different option which, on the couple of occasions we have lost/not played well this season, underlines a major importance on having a Plan B.

20 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

I really don't think we can judge Wesley entirely on one half season where the team around him were utterly shite. 

Didn't stop Grealish and McGinn from playing well last season.

Good players plays well regardless who they are playing with and can hold their own.

Not like some child needing to hold his mother's hand.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Good players plays well regardless who they are playing with and can hold their own.

Yeah that's nonsense.

Better players than Wesley have had a difficult start at a new club and in a new country.

Regarding the bold bit. So good players never play badly then for a period of time?

Sensible people will not write a player off after 5 months of playing time. But go ahead...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They didn't thought did they, when their form dropped we started to lose.

McGinn's form dropped off a cliff before his injury...

Re: Wesley, our coaching team have a great opportunity to work on improving him during this rehabilitation which should really help him this season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

Luiz didn't play well for the first half of the season.  I assume now you'd marry him.

Difference is Luiz always showed his quality.

His ability was there to see from the start.

As with Wesley he looked out of his depth at this level for long periods of time. Struggling with the basics and the fundamentals. 

Watkins general play is looking amazing to us because we are used to seeing the likes of Wesley and Samatta when in reality that is what's expected to see at a competent striker at this level.

I have nothing personal against Wesley but if we are to move forward as a club we need better. We need to get someone in as competent as Watkins.

I was delighted for Samatta finding a good club in Turkey where he can thrive and i wish the same for Wesley.

Edited by villalad21

We gave Luiz time therefore Wesley should be given a chance too as most of the team around him were woeful too. I remember Luiz was absolute gash for a number of game, not winning tackles and giving the ball away. Took him until after lockdown to come good.

If he can't make a go of it them fair enough but shouldn't write the guy off just yet. 

Not sure if @villalad21 has started his Christmas drinking early with all the negative Wesley comments but personally I think it is ridiculous to write him off already.

I think we only need to look at the turnaround in form of Trezeguet as an example of giving a foreign player time to adapt and settle in a new country before getting rid.

Trez was absolutely abysmal for majority of last season and I will be the first to admit I was thinking how bad is this guy, but to be fair he's got his head down, got fitter, contributed with goals, is working harder than every player on the pitch and is now a solid squad member.

Wesley, prior to his injury, showed glimpses of ability, albeit not as much as we would have liked, but he looked 100 times the player Trez was and before the injury was playing his best game for us. I genuinely think that if he hadn't have suffered the injury he did, we would have stayed up more comfortably but I guess we will never know. 

The one obvious concern now is how he recovers from the injury, but from what I have seen and heard from him, as a character, what his Villa team-mates say about him - he has the right attitude to come back from this and still at a fairly young age to improve as a player.

Of course Watkins will be No 1 striker, which again, is a good thing as it relieves any pressure on Wes, but if the physios and coaching staff can get him up to speed it will be a real boost to see him get minutes off the bench, adding more competition and pressure on the ones wearing the shirt to perform consistently. Playing with the likes of Ross and Jack on current form too will also benefit his game no end.

May not work out, not all transfers do - but let's give him a proper chance hey.

• Like 3

Trezeguet works his socks off and never goes hiding. He almost single handedly kept us up.

Which is another bad trait of Wesley who very much seem to be a confidence player. Also i don't like his demeanour on the pitch. Falling to the ground after the slightest touch and crying to the ref. I can't stand it and it's embarrassing for a guy his size.

Also i still don't know what is his strength. He isn't quick. Not good in the air. Not a great passer of the ball. Not the greatest of finishers. I would love for someone to tell me what he actually excel at.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Given his injury I’m not sure McGinn did play that well last season.

Â