Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

get him on loan to the championship with a clause of a call back

While I appreciate our coaches would like to work on him personally, I can't see him getting match fit any other way, unless he plays in u23s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Luiz was always much higher rated though. Highly regarded by Pep even.

Wesley wasn't even prolific in Belgium.

In regards to Trez improvement. He was also much higher rated. Most Egyptians ranks him as their 2nd best player next to Salah.

It doesn’t take away from the point that several of the new signings were struggling not that they weren’t good players, but they lacked PL experience and needed time to adapt.

A lot of fans were bagging Luiz, he needed time. Wesley is a different type of CF he is still,learning and not the finished article. We weren’t creating a lot for him before he was injured, people seem to have short memories, but he was showing glimpses of a quality player.

Supporters can form their own opinions, some have, but I believe there’s a player there and confident he’ll show it given the opportunity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nope, completely disagree. You could see Luiz had something from the start, but he needed time to adjust (like you get at I guess). But Wesley was completely different. Luiz looked composed, great touch, good movement, vision etc. and needed to adjust to the pace of the English game, the physicality, his team mates and the tactics. Ray Charles could spot Luiz was a big talent that needed time. 

Wesley on the other hand looked like he lacked the very fundamentals. Poor movement, lack of runs, poor shooting, poor heading  poor jumping. He had good passing at times and work rate was normally okay (even if he sulked at every challenge) I'll give him that. But ultimately he looked like a lower league CAM forced into a striker role. 

The idea he was showing the same promise as Luiz and thus will develop accordingly, well lets agree to disagree. 

It’s ok to disagree, but you didn’t bring up any valid points to change my opinion.

Looking forward to Wesley proving you wrong.

• Like 1

I don't think he will play much this season  He was starting to show some real quality before the injury and I'm sure he will become an asset to us when injuries and suspensions start to occur, hopefully not to soon. 

2 hours ago, MentalM said:

Not sayin Wesley > Watkins, but I believe Wesley could also thrive more with a midfield that is better than previous season. 

I think he will suprise a few people,  I think he will do well for us long term.

He got no service when he first got here,  this has changed to the point where we put 10 goals past Liverscum and Arsnail in 180 minutes,  a actual goal (not a chance) every 1,080 seconds.

It's such a good option to have as well,  2 up top and change things around when needed.  

57 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

get him on loan to the championship with a clause of a call back

While I appreciate our coaches would like to work on him personally, I can't see him getting match fit any other way, unless he plays in u23s

He’s one of only two strikers we have to ever score a PL goal isn’t he? I wouldn’t be loaning out from that position. Watkins won’t play every minute.

Watched a compilation of all our goals scored last season, Wesley was heavily involved in the build up to a lot of them before his injury, even if he wasn't getting the final assist or goal. Don't think it's a surprise that when he was out our attackers and midfielders suddenly stopped scoring until the last few games. Had he have stayed fit I think we would have survived in a far more comfortable fashion.

Some player 🕸️

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think he will suprise a few people,  I think he will do well for us long term.

He got no service when he first got here,  this has changed to the point where we put 10 goals past Liverscum and Arsnail in 180 minutes,  a actual goal (not a chance) every 1,080 seconds.

It's such a good option to have as well,  2 up top and change things around when needed.  

I think Watkins movement and attributes has played a big part in our service improving. 

Wes is hopefully going to be a good back up option 

• Like 1

I think everything is falling into to place for Wes, he'll come back as our 2nd striker and with no real pressure on him.

Just having him back strengthens our squad and gives us more attacking options off the bench. 

It's a cliche but a valid one, he will be like a new signing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think everything is falling into to place for Wes, he'll come back as our 2nd striker and with no real pressure on him.

Just having him back strengthens our squad and gives us more attacking options off the bench. 

It's a cliche but a valid one, he will be like a new signing.

Completely agree. We need our bench to be made up of bottom half premier league players. The bench this season has been top half championship quality on average for me. With Smith therefore understandably reluctant to make changes. Adding Wesley and Heaton helps it for sure. Engels too perhaps, but seems to be plagued with injury.

On 10/11/2020 at 12:21, useless said:

Watched a compilation of all our goals scored last season, Wesley was heavily involved in the build up to a lot of them before his injury, even if he wasn't getting the final assist or goal. Don't think it's a surprise that when he was out our attackers and midfielders suddenly stopped scoring until the last few games. Had he have stayed fit I think we would have survived in a far more comfortable fashion.

Some player 🕸️

This is why I don't like to label forward players as strikers. It puts so much emphasis on scoring goals, whereas in a functional team you need them to do so much more.

Look at Watkins. He scored goals, sure, but that's not all he does. A game in which he doesn't score is not necessarily a bad game for him if he can cause trouble and help create chances for other players.

Wesley is much the same; even when he wasn't scoring, he was contributing. With time he would get better, with better players around him it would get easier, and if not for his injury he'd probably be there by now.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:08, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think you are right...it will be a different Villa team he comes back to.....one with service.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2020 at 11:30, QldVilla said:

It doesn’t take away from the point that several of the new signings were struggling not that they weren’t good players, but they lacked PL experience and needed time to adapt.

A lot of fans were bagging Luiz, he needed time. Wesley is a different type of CF he is still,learning and not the finished article. We weren’t creating a lot for him before he was injured, people seem to have short memories, but he was showing glimpses of a quality player.

Supporters can form their own opinions, some have, but I believe there’s a player there and confident he’ll show it given the opportunity.

People are ignoring the fact that wesley didn't play football competitively until he was 16. So he is still developing his skills and instincts. I doubt he will reach his prime until he is 28-29 because he hasn't had the time to develop his full skillset yet.

Is he training with the squad yet?

I know there was the picture of him with them a few weeks back but he could've just been walking out with likes of Doug and then doing a few light jogs around the pitch.

Would be good at least to have him as option for the xmas games as it's going to be a major struggle to put the same 11 out over that period.

On 10/11/2020 at 13:08, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think the only people he will surprise are the ones that think he has a future here. He will be out the door as soon as possible. This is a totally different Villa to the one that was scrambling around for numbers when we signed Wesley.

The only way he will be here next season is if he is still injured. Otherwise, we will cut our losses and buy a much better replacement. 

Where we are going, requires better players than Wesley Moraes.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Is he training with the squad yet?

I know there was the picture of him with them a few weeks back but he could've just been walking out with likes of Doug and then doing a few light jogs around the pitch.

Would be good at least to have him as option for the xmas games as it's going to be a major struggle to put the same 11 out over that period.

The only thing I've seen is that the club is not counting on him back for this year. But I guess the games around Christmas is pretty close to next year so who knows.

I doubt we'll see him before January and likely not even then.

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

I think the only people he will surprise are the ones that think he has a future here. He will be out the door as soon as possible. This is a totally different Villa to the one that was scrambling around for numbers when we signed Wesley.

The only way he will be here next season is if he is still injured. Otherwise, we will cut our losses and buy a much better replacement. 

Where we are going, requires better players than Wesley Moraes.

Alternatively why would we give up on aomyer that showed promise. Was relatively prolific for a terrible side and if his injury didn't cripple him will only get better. Also if we sell him it would be for a loss which would actually reduce the money we have to buy players with because currently he is an asset but if we sell him he becomes a loss. 

Â