Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Saw a video of him undertaking resisted accelerations over 5-10m during the week, he’s a long way from returning, struggling to put power in the ground and struggling to get strong extension through his hips.

That's how he looked before the injury tbf. If he was a car he would be a Lada 0-60 in about 3 minutes.

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2020 at 23:32, VillaChris said:

Have we ever had a major first team player out for that long before if it's March?

Was trying to think of how Long Laursen was out for....I think he missed a whole season once for us so that shows a player can return to good level. Think Gary Charles also missed a full season in mid 90s and he wasn't quite as good when he came back and left the following season.

Really if it's March the season is a write off as he'll need a good two months just to get up to the pace. Took Benteke a while to get back into his stride when he came back after his injury in 2014.

Luc Nilis probably holds the record, he was out forever 😢

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I think Kozak was a nasty break and took him over 15 months to return due to complications. 

Bouma also had complications after his initial ankle dislocation.  Think he was 14 months or more out.  

Both as we know were never the same players.  

Don't think Freddie Bouma ever actually played for us again after our leg break despite apparently being available for selection for second part of 2009-10 season.

Still annoys me MON didn't bring him on as a sub for final game at home to Blackburn given that was a dead game for us as our top 4 hopes had ended a week earlier at Man. City.

Two years later he was in the Hollland euro 2012 squad.

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s true. Players like McGinn and Luiz will eventually need to be replaced. I know it seems unfathomable that we could replace players like this but if we want to get to the next level, we need to be ruthless. 

(I like both the players I mentioned btw).

Luiz is top 4 quality potential imo and really for last six months has been playing close to that standard so if we actually manage to keep him over next 12 months he's secured in the team.

Agreee McGinn will probably become vulnerable as automatic starter if we get really good but that's a fair way off, would add Mings into that category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Luiz is top 4 quality potential imo and really for last six months has been playing close to that standard so if we actually manage to keep him over next 12 months he's secured in the team.

Agreee McGinn will probably become vulnerable as automatic starter if we get really good but that's a fair way off, would add Mings into that category.

Fair enough. I really don’t think Luiz is top 4 material. Not yet anyway. Id rather drop him than McGinn.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Wish him a speedy recovery. But IMO he doesn't have what it takes at this level.

I disagree with this.

Wesley for the time he played we played much better than we did than when we lost him to that nasty injury by that Tard of a player, forgot his name.

Anyhow Wesley he scored some goals and who know how many he'd of been on if he hadn't of been injured last season, i can tell you what, alot more than Samatta and Davis that's for sure.

Wesley held up the ball well for us, aloud us to time to reestablish further up the field. Wesley also had very good pass ability from what remember, played some very sweet passes to the wings and in tight spots. The let down for me and hope Wesley has improved on is him to ground way to much. Now the going to ground to much is very debatable in my opinion, was Wesley told to do it when possible by Smith to slow the game down for our advantage (which BTW pissed alot of opposition off) or was it because he was new to the league and needed to adjust?? I'd say it was a little of both. One thing comes to mind  with Wesley before he got injured is I remember the going to ground was becoming less frequent. In the last few games before Wesley's injury I even seen the lad sending man utd players into the side boards and using strength (I remember because me and my son were cheering for him every time Wes did it).

I think with Wesley there were far more positives than there were negative. Many say he needs more time and I myself had said many a time last season that he needs a second or even a third possible season. I reckon would be mad to sell and let him progress where hes not under pressure from being the our highest signing or our only striker.

Wesley will come good but patients we may have to display in him as much as what we did with Smith and those who wanted him out after last season finished. That now brings me onto the last bit, smith himself I trust in and if he keeps Wesley around it's because he still trusts that's Wesley still has a part to play at Villa. Wes may not have a big part to play straight away but if he keeps his heads up he can certainly keep Watkins watching his back for no1 spot.

Good thing between Watkins and Wes is they are very different players, we have more tactical advantage by having both ready to play than just having Watkins as a lone striker. 

I'd love nothing more for our big tall Brazilian to make it big like Luiz is doing at Villa, Two Brazilians running riot i would love very much indeed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wesley wasn't prolific in Belgium and he isn't prolific in England.

Yet you want Keinan Davis up front.

Look, the relevant comparison is Mahmoud Trezeguet. Wesley is a better player than Trez, or at least he was last year. Unless the injury has destroyed Wes, he’ll have a big part to play. Bags of potential.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Enda said:

Yet you want Keinan Davis up front.

Look, the relevant comparison is Mahmoud Trezeguet. Wesley is a better player than Trez, or at least he was last year. Unless the injury has destroyed Wes, he’ll have a big part to play. Bags of potential.

No i want Watkins up front

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I disagree with this.

Wesley for the time he played we played much better than we did than when we lost him to that nasty injury by that Tard of a player, forgot his name.

Anyhow Wesley he scored some goals and who know how many he'd of been on if he hadn't of been injured last season, i can tell you what, alot more than Samatta and Davis that's for sure.

Wesley held up the ball well for us, aloud us to time to reestablish further up the field. Wesley also had very good pass ability from what remember, played some very sweet passes to the wings and in tight spots. The let down for me and hope Wesley has improved on is him to ground way to much. Now the going to ground to much is very debatable in my opinion, was Wesley told to do it when possible by Smith to slow the game down for our advantage (which BTW pissed alot of opposition off) or was it because he was new to the league and needed to adjust?? I'd say it was a little of both. One thing comes to mind  with Wesley before he got injured is I remember the going to ground was becoming less frequent. In the last few games before Wesley's injury I even seen the lad sending man utd players into the side boards and using strength (I remember because me and my son were cheering for him every time Wes did it).

I think with Wesley there were far more positives than there were negative. Many say he needs more time and I myself had said many a time last season that he needs a second or even a third possible season. I reckon would be mad to sell and let him progress where hes not under pressure from being the our highest signing or our only striker.

Wesley will come good but patients we may have to display in him as much as what we did with Smith and those who wanted him out after last season finished. That now brings me onto the last bit, smith himself I trust in and if he keeps Wesley around it's because he still trusts that's Wesley still has a part to play at Villa. Wes may not have a big part to play straight away but if he keeps his heads up he can certainly keep Watkins watching his back for no1 spot.

Good thing between Watkins and Wes is they are very different players, we have more tactical advantage by having both ready to play than just having Watkins as a lone striker. 

I'd love nothing more for our big tall Brazilian to make it big like Luiz is doing at Villa, Two Brazilians running riot i would love very much indeed.

Hope you're right. The problem for Wes is he has never scored goals in any great number, anywhere or at anytime in his career - so the chances of him doing it in the toughest league in the world , off the back of major injury are pretty remote IMO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hope you're right. The problem for Wes is he has never scored goals in any great number, anywhere or at anytime in his career - so the chances of him doing it in the toughest league in the world , off the back of major injury are pretty remote IMO.

he managed to score goals in a very crap team last season, be interested to see what he could do in the current team - hopefully if the injury hasn't had a hugely negative impact which is always possible.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

he managed to score goals in a very crap team last season, be interested to see what he could do in the current team - hopefully if the injury hasn't had a hugely negative impact which is always possible.

5 in 21 ....and 1 assist.

Don't see anything other than him being a fringe player TBH - he's days as a regular starter have been and gone IMO.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

he's days as a regular starter have been and gone IMO.

Based on half a season when he was 23. Amazing.  He'll be eased back in over time, and he'll have a big job to do in order to take Watkin's place, but I'm sure he'll get his chance.

You won't hear me complaining if we sign someone better, but I imagine the club will be a bit more patient with a £20m investment than some of our fans. And what's the other option. Davis? :) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Based on half a season when he was 23. Amazing.  He'll be eased back in over time, and he'll have a big job to do in order to take Watkin's place, but I'm sure he'll get his chance.

You won't hear me complaining if we sign someone better, but I imagine the club will be a bit more patient with a £20m investment than some of our fans. And what's the other option. Davis? :) 

It's based on his career to date. Not just his time with villa. He's coming back from a major, major injury - He might be seen in a villa shirt until Feb !

Like I said IMO. I can't see him displacing Watkins. Should injury to Watkins propel him into the starting 11 I don't see him being up to it. I don't think he has the goals him - nor do I think Wesley will want to stay as back up. 

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

It's based on his career to date. Not just his time with villa. He's coming back from a major, major injury - He might be seen in a villa shirt until Feb !

Like I said IMO. I can't see him displacing Watkins. Should injury to Watkins propel him into the starting 11 I don't see him being up to it. I don't think he has the goals him - nor do I think Wesley will want to stay as back up. 

Repeating it over again and again doesn't make it true. You could be right, but seeing as he's still relatively young and has played about half a season so far it is pretty hard to come to any concrete conclusions about him. I would genuinely love to see him play with Watkins as I think their styles would compliment each other.

We need another striker in January regardless as too many unknowns.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hippo said:

5 in 21 ....and 1 assist.

Don't see anything other than him being a fringe player TBH - he's days as a regular starter have been and gone IMO.

Yeah Kozak had a better ratio in 13/14, think it was about 5 goals in 11 games and he was completely finished at top level when he returned in 15/16.

Seems to have been a revision that he was some amazing link up player but tbh the games I saw v West Ham and Newcastle the ball was just bouncing off his shins constantly when we played it up to him. Watkins is simply different level given what he's shown already this season.

It will just be a case of easing him back in this season and if he can contribute a goal or two even better but I don't have much expectation and then we'll have to decide what to do next summer.

• Like 1

Â