Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Thing is for Wesley is he is going to do well to get any game time at all. Let alone the 5/6 full game run he is going to need to get his fitness/sharpness back (see McGinn for how different players can look when unfit/not sharp). 

We aren't going to be moving Watkins out of CF position and by all accounts he's a bit of a fitness machine so shouldn't need resting. 

This is a tough team to get into FINALLY! Just ask Conor scored a goal and got an assist against Fulham and has not played 1 minute since. 

I actually feel bad for Conor but its a great sign of the strength of the team. 

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Everyone was writing of Luiz before COVID, but you could see glimpses of quality, look at him now. The same was with Wesley, there were glimpses of a quality player, he just needed the same time. 

it’s going to be a long way back for him, but anyone writing him off is not giving him the chance to show his quality.

Luiz was always much higher rated though. Highly regarded by Pep even.

Wesley wasn't even prolific in Belgium.

In regards to Trez improvement. He was also much higher rated. Most Egyptians ranks him as their 2nd best player next to Salah.

Edited by villalad21

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Everyone was writing of Luiz before COVID, but you could see glimpses of quality, look at him now. The same was with Wesley, there were glimpses of a quality player, he just needed the same time. 

it’s going to be a long way back for him, but anyone writing him off is not giving him the chance to show his quality.

Nope, completely disagree. You could see Luiz had something from the start, but he needed time to adjust (like you get at I guess). But Wesley was completely different. Luiz looked composed, great touch, good movement, vision etc. and needed to adjust to the pace of the English game, the physicality, his team mates and the tactics. Ray Charles could spot Luiz was a big talent that needed time. 

Wesley on the other hand looked like he lacked the very fundamentals. Poor movement, lack of runs, poor shooting, poor heading  poor jumping. He had good passing at times and work rate was normally okay (even if he sulked at every challenge) I'll give him that. But ultimately he looked like a lower league CAM forced into a striker role. 

The idea he was showing the same promise as Luiz and thus will develop accordingly, well lets agree to disagree. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have always thought he would much better in a pair with 2 strikers. But that is about as fashionable as tinned spam at the moment. I think he will get some game time this season but i am not too sure he if has a long term future at Villa.

Agreed.

Doesn't fit our system. We need a number 9 to challenge Watkins. Wesley is not that player.

Much more suited in a 4-4-2 sytem.

I believe its too early to write him off. He had an unthankful job trying to work alone up top. Watkins do have more support than Wesley did.

Not sayin Wesley > Watkins, but I believe Wesley could also thrive more with a midfield that is better than previous season. 

We need the depth he can give us, and he has the potential to become a top player in my eyes. Just hope the injury does not give permanent damage to his abilities. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Agreed.

Doesn't fit our system. We need a number 9 to challenge Watkins. Wesley is not that player.

Much more suited in a 4-4-2 sytem.

Well if you look at the squad info on our wiki page, it says Wesley is the number 9.

Edited by hong0311

Don't think he'll be challenging Watkins for his spot as they play completely different roles. He should be a much better player with much more pace and quality around him. When teams try to sit deeper to nullify our pace he could be very effective.

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What pace? 

Sorry, are you trying to say we have no pace in the team? Whilst we may not be the quickest team, the speed of our counter attacks is very concerning for premier league defences. Just ask Arsenal, Liverpool and Fulham. The games against Leicester and Sheffield United were very different as they set up to defend against our rapid counters. I think that’s what @El-Reacho was getting at above. 

I don't think we have abundance of pace no. There's no player that screams pacy either. We got a good first eleven and play some good counter-attacking football, and we especially got some very good ball carriers at speed, but I'd say we do it despite of not being very pacy. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have always thought he would much better in a pair with 2 strikers. But that is about as fashionable as tinned spam at the moment. I think he will get some game time this season but i am not too sure he if has a long term future at Villa.

4lsv29.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think we have abundance of pace no. There's no player that screams pacy either. We got a good first eleven and play some good counter-attacking football, and we especially got some very good ball carriers at speed, but I'd say we do it despite of not being very pacy. 

Trez recorded the 3rd fastest speed behind Adama and Kyle Walker last season and im pretty sure Jack was one of the quickest in early games this season

6 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Trez recorded the 3rd fastest speed behind Adama and Kyle Walker last season and im pretty sure Jack was one of the quickest in early games this season

I'm not go have the top speed vs acceleration debate again, but lets just be clear Trez isn't even remotely one of the fastest players in this league in terms of what's achieved on the pitch. 

Jack is a lot quicker, but still not especially pacy for a winger or counter-attacking outfit. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm not go have the top speed vs acceleration debate again, but lets just be clear Trez isn't even remotely one of the fastest players in this league in terms of what's achieved on the pitch. 

Jack is a lot quicker, but still not especially pacy for a winger or counter-attacking outfit. 

He is with the ball at his feet 

Â