Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As for Phillips just wait and see him sign a new deal tomorrow to end all talk. Can see a grealish situation where he signs new deal if they don't go up this year he will be allowed to go in summer

I suspect this is true. He probably knows that he's capable of greater things, but he's emotionally attached to his local team, and will compromise by giving them another year and going for one last shot at promotion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I suspect this is true. He probably knows that he's capable of greater things, but he's emotionally attached to his local team, and will compromise by giving them another year and going for one last shot at promotion. 

This could have been from the Grealish thread some 12 months ago. It’s very possible Phillips will ‘do a Grealish’ this summer.

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Rumour doing the round on their side (likely BS) that they are offering them money + Hogan for Phillips. Can't see it, but would be awesome if true.

Maybe we can compromise by just letting them have Hogan. I d be happy with that

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I would imagine a 1000% pay rise will ease his emotional ties. The 20 mill + transfer fee will ease Leeds FFP worries.

• Like 1

I really doubt this will happen.

Him not being in the kit launch promo stuff is most likely just Leeds playing it safe to not have a similar situation us with Delph if the scenario did change.

Him being a Leeds lad and Leeds holding out for a significant fee weighs against us. It's unlikely he'll kick up a fuss at a club he has a connection to, and we'll not want to pay over the odds to the extent Leeds understandably want.

He'll do a Grealish. He stays, gets a new contract, gives it another year to see what happens.

There'll be other players out there that might offer better value, especially when you consider we have a lot of signings to make.

• Like 1

The pull of taking Leeds up next season and being a hero outweighs anything in the prem at the moment . It’s Grealish MKII. He’d love to get them up and play for them next season. Obviously if they fail he will be gone. If Leeds had little chance of promotion and had their usual pub team managers in charge, then he’d be at Villa right now imo . As it stands Leeds are possibly on the verge of something special at the moment, and they have Bielsa . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

He will be there anyway!

Even if they were 95% sure he was going they would be mad to exclude him till he was out the door.

3 hours ago, useless said:

A number of their other players were there, but Phillips wasn't at the kit launch. Probably can't read too much into it though.

Life comes at you fast... 😏

They could be keeping him out of the spotlight as a nice surprise for Leeds fans. They will be fearing the worse, but then they will announce his new contract . A clever way of doing things and it gets the fans up for it. 

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

As for Phillips just wait and see him sign a new deal tomorrow to end all talk. Can see a grealish situation where he signs new deal if they don't go up this year he will be allowed to go in summer

Grealish didn't sign a new deal until after the window was closed. Just saying. 

The difference with this situation and with us and Grealish last year, is that Grealish was already on a Premier league level wage, and we'd just been taken over by a wealthy duo so we weren't desperate for the money and neither was Grealish, the future for us looking brighter overall than it is for Leeds at this moment in time; Phillips is reportedly only on about £5k a week, whilst Bamford and Casilla are on £30k a week, meaning if Leeds are to get him to agree to a new deal you'd think they'd have to at least offer him parity with those two... He's also only got two years left on his current deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

The difference with this situation and with us and Grealish last year, is that Grealish was already on a Premier league level wage, and we'd just been taken over by a wealthy duo so we weren't desperate for the money and neither was Grealish, the future for us looking brighter overall than it is for Leeds at this moment in time; Phillips is reportedly only on about £5k a week, whilst Bamford and Casilla are on £30k a week, meaning if Leeds are to get him to agree to a new deal you'd think they'd have to at least offer him parity with those two... He's also only got two years left on his current deal.

Seriously?!? Where is that from. That seems too low to be believable

1 hour ago, brommy said:

This could have been from the Grealish thread some 12 months ago. It’s very possible Phillips will ‘do a Grealish’ this summer.

Not sure the Grealish situation is comparable. Grealish didn't turn down Spurs, the new owners said he wasn't for sale, and to Jacks credit he seemed happy to stay. If we accepted a bid he would have been gone. 

Now part may be the same as the Phillips situation,  But the difference is that Jack was being paid a really good salary whereas if the rumours are to be believed Phillips is on £4.5kpw. I'd imagine Leeds will have to increase that tenfold otherwise he will be keen to go somewhere that will. 

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Seriously?!? Where is that from. That seems too low to be believable

That's what happens when you've been out the PL for 15 years. No one gets big money, least of all youth products.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

That's what happens when you've been out the PL for 15 years. No one gets big money, least of all youth products.

I know but would've thought 15-20k minimum big club in Championship

14 hours ago, Risso said:

His passing is very good indeed.  Me and a Leeds mate watched a lot of each other's games last season, and he was their best player every time I saw them.  There are no guarantees he'd make the step up, but from what I can see his attributes would complement the strengths of Grealish and McGinn perfectly.

This could be said about everyone we have been linked with except Cahill, Heaton and Butland, there are no guarantees unless you are buying an established PL player who now start at about £40m). I think Philips will easily step up, he is very good and I think will prosper with better players around him.

I don't think it's that much of an uncommon wage for a lot teams in the Championship, and have to remember for the last ten seasons Leeds have mostly been a lower mid table club, have spent time in League One, haven't had any parachute payments, and haven't had wealthy owners, also it's only the season just gone that Phillips has become so highly rated, he signed his current deal back in 2017.

Â