Kalvin Phillips

StefanAVFC

They cant compete when it comes to money. We can offer him top money. 

Its not everything, I know but its life changing for him and its far from guaranteed they'll even be in the shake up for promotion next season. He might see it as now or never.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Any word on what they're saying in Whippet land?

It’s mainly quiet which is unusual for them, maybe resigned to him going as he didn’t sign the new contract as a lot of them expected. A few whispers suggesting LUFC are desperate for cash, and the contract offer is deliberately short of what was needed and a PR ruse, forcing KP’s hand.

Wouldn't surprise me if we get him, all seems to be fate slowly unfolding.

Leeds fans are under the belief he was offered 25k and turned them down.

This is all happening play by play just as there fans feared would happen.

Actually feel sorry for them.

Looks like he's going to be leaving soon

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

I assume we would offer 40k basement to play PL?

Just now, Nigel said:

It’s tough in their position. If they lose Philips and Pontus in one window that’s a proper body blow, both fans favourites. Shows you the cost of missing out on promotion, the vultures circle. They have little cash either, the Championship is unfair like that, really needs sorting out.

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

It’s tough in their position. If they lose Philips and Pontus in one window that’s a proper body blow, both fans favourites. Shows you the cost of missing out on promotion, the vultures circle. They have little cash either, the Championship is unfair like that, really needs sorting out.

Are they not getting new owners, or is that just wishful thinking/paper talk?

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

It's not only those 2 either. They lost their young left winger to spurs and it's looking like roofe is going too.

There owner is selling everyone he can get money for.

We have seen this before!

I said earlier that I'd be shocked if Phillips wasnt there at the kit unveiling. Doesn't make sense to rile the fans and put the wrong message out to anyone connected.

That looks badly handled to put it lightly.

As far as we are concerned this is a green light to lower any proposed offer.

Edited by Nigel

It'll take some real misfiring from everyone if we sign this guy and don't stay up.

We'll dominate so much ball I think we'll create more than enough chances to win 15 games.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It'll take some real misfiring from everyone if we sign this guy and don't stay up.

We'll dominate so much ball I think we'll create more than enough chances to win 15 games.

we have only won 15 games in the prem 4 times since the turn of the millennium and all of those resulted in 6th place finishes.

The scary thing is you pretty much need 15 wins to scrape 10th now

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Are they not getting new owners, or is that just wishful thinking/paper talk?

Rumour come and gone and come back and gone again but Radrizzani not broke and has no interest in relinquishing majority stakehold last I read

Assuming we are looking at him as a DM, anchor of a three, then why would we buy a player who is worse than our current best option in that position (Conor)?

If we are going to spend money then we should buy players who will improve us, not make us worse.

His stats
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/270446/Show/Kalvin-Phillips

like for like Conor
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/134172/Show/Conor-Hourihane

Kalvin is a worse version of Conor in just about every stat. I mean sure he could improve, but why roll the dice on that when we could get someone better?

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What the hell is this? Even your link has Conor playing DM 1 time. This is comparing apples to bulldozers

Do you honestly believe Conor has only played in that position one time last season? Come on now :)

Clearly Kalvin would be played as the base of the three right? Jack & McGinn in front of him. Thats the position Conor generally plays for us same as Thor & Whelan.

Unless of course we are looking at Kalvin for a central defender or looking to play 3 at the back. Which would be interesting I suppose.

The relevant stats for DCM are tackles, interceptions, clearances, blocks, accurate long balls, average passes, and pass success %

Phillips vs Hourihane for above stats

2.6 vs 1.4

1.3 vs 0.4

2.6 vs 1.1

0.3 vs 0.2

4.6 vs 2.6 

58.5 vs 42.3

82% vs 87%

Phillips ahead on all bar 1 category. Hourihane was better for us in final third. He doesn't know how to position himself as a DCM because role was forced on him occasionally 

• Like 3

You can't seriously think Hourihane is better than Phillips as DCM? Hourihane isnt even natural or capable in that position. The only game where he looked the part was the final, funnily enough.

• Like 2

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

The relevant stats for DCM are tackles, interceptions, clearances, blocks, accurate long balls, average passes, and pass success %

Phillips vs Hourihane for above stats

2.6 vs 1.4

1.3 vs 0.4

2.6 vs 1.1

0.3 vs 0.2

4.6 vs 2.6 

58.5 vs 42.3

82% vs 87%

Phillips ahead on all bar 1 category. Hourihane was better for us in final third. He doesn't know how to position himself as a DCM because role was forced on him occasionally 

I thank you :) That cheers me up a little. I know Leeds play a different way to us, but Bielsa is no fool, its  worrying that even with that his other stats are worse than Conors and overall his is obviously lower rated.

Just now, Mazrim said:

You can't seriously think Hourihane is better than Phillips as DCM? Hourihane isnt even natural or capable in that position. The only game where he looked the part was the final, funnily enough.

Given what we all saw last season I think its hard to argue anything other than Conor is the better player in our midfield setup.

Happy to have the chat but I dont see why its so incredulous that I would question buying a lower rated player than the one we currently have. I would sooner have an upgrade or a premier league player. 

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I thank you :) That cheers me up a little. I know Leeds play a different way to us, but Bielsa is no fool, its  worrying that even with that his other stats are worse than Conors and overall his is obviously lower rated.

I don't understand what you mean his other stats? Hourihane is an attacking player that gets goals and assists. That's not what DCM does. The other highly rated DCM we've been linked with Santamaria has 1 goal and 0 assists in 105 games for current club. 

Â