dont_do_it_doug.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I agree.

No idea why Smith is so stuck up with his 4-3-3 system. 4-2-3-1 suits our squad more

You keep saying this as if it’s a massive tactical change. All it means is one of the midfielders doesn’t track back as much and I’m really not sure we can afford that.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You keep saying this as if it’s a massive tactical change. All it means is one of the midfielders doesn’t track back as much and I’m really not sure we can afford that.

It also means we play with a 10

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It Alis means we play with a 10

Which in practice just means one of the midfielders doesn’t track back as much unless I’m missing something? When Grealish plays in midfield he’s our focal point anyway.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The biggest difference I anticipate is instead of having Douglas/Nakamba isolated in the number 6 position alone they'll have someone sitting with them to actually pass to.

It's no wonder we struggle to retain the ball under the slightest pressure when our DM has no forward passing options available as the other midfielders are all up front next to Wesley hoping to intercept a second ball.

Edited by AV82

Jota deserves more minutes in the Premier League. Yes, he's lightweight and lacks lightning pace (definitely not "slow" though), but his technique, vision and composure are a cut above most of our other options. He also seems to be our only midfielder who plays the striker through on goal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farlz said:

His footwork is lovely and his eye for a pass is great, just a shame he's so slow. 

Yet it is Trez who looks rushed, panicked and sporadic in everything he does. Jota always seems to look calm and composed with time.

We've missed him. He will never rip up the league but he has class.

If you got support around Jota and made the pitch smaller, he'd look better.

We play to make the pitch big, to get into 1 v 1's, whilst his range of passing is very good, it can mean he gets out strength'd and outnumbered.  

He's a technically gifted player, and he looks to play in early balls behind the defence, which is a really useful trick.  I think it's up to us to get the most out of him, but our general play suggests we won't. 

I like him. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

If you got support around Jota and made the pitch smaller, he'd look better.

We play to make the pitch big, to get into 1 v 1's, whilst his range of passing is very good, it can mean he gets out strength'd and outnumbered.  

He's a technically gifted player, and he looks to play in early balls behind the defence, which is a really useful trick.  I think it's up to us to get the most out of him, but our general play suggests we won't. 

I like him. 

Nice post and agreed to some degree.

Still takes way too many touches in possession for my liking.

Hits the dead end and all that craftiness was just for show because he had to outdo the defender again.

Not a bad return for assists and goals considering his play time and fee.

I like the lad, but for me he has to play centrally or not at all tbh. His limitations in terms of pace and how one footed he is gets exposed playing on the wing, these are less of an issue in the center of the pitch. 

It would also be nice to see Jack and Jota playing together. I also think Wesley would benefit from that. 

None of the above!

If he was to begin starting games I would be very worried, we may have issues in midfield but he certainly isn't the answer not for me.....great in cup games against kids though, unfortunately they won't come around that often now. 

Â