dont_do_it_doug.

He is a step up from last season of Adomah, Green etc. Which shows how high of a bar we needed to overhaul in summer 

For his paltry fee, his performance vs Everton would be enough of a pay back

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It still baffles me that there was discussion in the summer about keeping our released players for the sake of continuity. If we had Adomah, Whelan and Hutton etc playing we'd be rock bottom right now. As it stands we have Trezeguet, Marvelous and Guilbert instead. It was a 120m very well spent in my opinion.

There were some comments that I just think can't have been properly thought through around this. Clichés people just couldn't shake from their mind.

The players you've listed plus Steer were not good enough for the bottom end of the PL and stuck out in our team in my opinion.

It's very clear Targett and Guilbert should have started the season as well. Getting to game 7 to play obviously our best defence is a bit of a miss from Deano.

Great that the league is so tight with us having City and Liverpool in successive matches. A win v Brighton would be massive.

Edited by Tomaszk

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

There were some comments that I just think can't have been properly thought through around this. Clichés people just couldn't shake from their mind.

The players you've listed plus Steer were not good enough for the bottom end of the PL and stuck out in our team in my opinion.

It's very clear Targett and Guilbert should have started the season as well. Getting to game 7 to play obviously our best defence is a bit of a miss from Deano.

Great that the league is so tight with us having City and Liverpool in successive matches. A win v Brighton would be massive.

Hindsight is brilliant isn’t it.

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It still baffles me that there was discussion in the summer about keeping our released players for the sake of continuity. If we had Adomah, Whelan and Hutton etc playing we'd be rock bottom right now. As it stands we have Trezeguet, Marvelous and Guilbert instead. It was a 120m very well spent in my opinion.

Very much agreed. So far, if anything, we have been the anti-Fulhams. Acquisitions has largely been successes or showing signs of being future gold. Our strategy this summer has been the right blend of boldness, strategic as well as psychological competence and a clear vision guiding every action. In the cut throat transfer market with little leverage as a team, we know how easy these things are to get disastrously wrong or at least much worse that we made it.

If the Swedish Academy had a Nobel price category "football team overhauls" (scandalous omission, btw!) I can't really see who'd beat us this year.

5 hours ago, thunderball said:

It's absolutely not hindsight. There was huge deflation to see Taylor in the team on day one. 99% of people were looking forward to Guilbert after the preseason fun he'd had with Jota. It was clear the full backs were wrong.

I was certainly having a right cry after 2 games and said we wouldn't win a league game this season if Elmo and Taylor play 90 mins, still think that's the case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

45 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's absolutely not hindsight. There was huge deflation to see Taylor in the team on day one. 99% of people were looking forward to Guilbert after the preseason fun he'd had with Jota. It was clear the full backs were wrong.

I was certainly having a right cry after 2 games and said we wouldn't win a league game this season if Elmo and Taylor play 90 mins, still think that's the case.

yeah, i dont think it is hindsight, i remember seeing that first starting 11 at Spurs, with Taylor and Elmo as our fullbacks and i nearly fell off my seat from the shock and disappointment.

I am going to make a big assumption, in that i reckon Deano did that to maybe show the squad they need to work for and earn their positions, Guilbert came in quite quickly for Elmo, and i reckon Targett was planned to come in after the Crewe game but got injured.

If the above is true, i can see logically what Deano was trying ot do, show the players they have to earn the shirt and arent nailed on, but........in this scenario i completely disagreed with that, for me Guilbert/Targett should have been our full backs from day 1, no reason is valid enough for me to make it not so.

That is just my personal opinion though, obviously Deano thought differently.

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, i dont think it is hindsight, i remember seeing that first starting 11 at Spurs, with Taylor and Elmo as our fullbacks and i nearly fell off my seat from the shock and disappointment.

I am going to make a big assumption, in that i reckon Deano did that to maybe show the squad they need to work for and earn their positions, Guilbert came in quite quickly for Elmo, and i reckon Targett was planned to come in after the Crewe game but got injured.

If the above is true, i can see logically what Deano was trying ot do, show the players they have to earn the shirt and arent nailed on, but........in this scenario i completely disagreed with that, for me Guilbert/Targett should have been our full backs from day 1, no reason is valid enough for me to make it not so.

That is just my personal opinion though, obviously Deano thought differently.

I don't think so. I believe we kept Elmo and Taylor in to make Engels transition easier. I reckon Guilbert only came in so soon because Engels adapted so quickly. And with both being French speakers would help. As for Targett it partly fitness and partly waiting for Guilbert to settle in, which he also did quickly. The start of the season has gone very smoothly considering. 

On 12/10/2019 at 20:05, Keyblade said:

Those opinions were as idiotic as it could get. Stick with the core of a squad that finished 5th in the Championship? No thanks. We'd be looking a record for lowest points ever in the Premier League sticking with that lot. Norwich are currently proving a good case study of where failing to invest properly gets you at this level.

• Like 1

Â