dont_do_it_doug.

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? I’m seeing a player that is trying to move past people the way he did in the Championship but constantly losing the ball due to lack of pace and strength for this level.

From his first game in preseason, I could see that he had an eye for a pass and some trickery, but simply way too slow.

So as the previous poster pointed out, he might be more suited to a Jack type role, initially I thought he would be back up to Jack, not in the team with him on the wing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? I’m seeing a player that is trying to move past people the way he did in the Championship but constantly losing the ball due to lack of pace and strength for this level.

When I read this, unfortunately I thought you were referring to Grealish as he has seemed to find it tough to adjust to the league again. This type of player I think will take a few more weeks and a couple of good games / bit of luck to get their groove back but I see him being an asset for us eventually. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Completely forgot about this guy. One of the few left on the team to properly make the step up.

He has shown it in patches but not for a sustained length of time.  I agree with above in that I think he could be more suited to CAM rather than the wing...doesn't have enough pace or trickery to play there at this level.

He did get his chance to make the rwf spot his but sadly didn't take it.

Just shows how irrelevant Pre Season is really. Based on that i thought this guy would be our star performer

Edited by villalad21

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Completely forgot about this guy. One of the few left on the team to properly make the step up.

He won't make the step up but he cost us what? £4m + Gardner. He has a lot of limitations but enough quality to make him a good back up player. That's all we should expect from him.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He won't make the step up but he cost us what? £4m + Gardner. He has a lot of limitations but enough quality to make him a good back up player. That's all we should expect from him.

£4m + Gardner. So about £1m then. 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Has a touch but is lightweight and slow.

I think he will be upgraded next summer - hopefully - and moved back into the championship with a footballing team (so not the Blues!!).

He'd fit in well back with Brentford. Hope he gets up to speed in the PL but I don't think he's up to it physically. There's no doubting his talent. He has a vision and can do things with the ball some top 6 midfielders can't do, but he's just so easily bullied off it that he doesn't often get the chance.

I’ve never seen Jota as a winger but as a player who can unlock defences with a clever pass - a position we have struggled with previously every time Grealish is injured. He’s obviously not as good as Grealish but is a decent alternative to what we had in the squad, he was available relatively cheap and I’m sure Smith knew he wouldn’t sulk if not involved in the first 11. Smith might have been hoping he would step up and prove to be a ‘selection headache’ as Hourihane has, for example, but nevertheless he at least provides cover for creativity until we are a more established PL side.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It’s way too early to say he won’t make the step up. If there’s a couple of injuries then he will be used, and he may well chip in with goals and assists much like Grealish and El Ghazi have done without looking like our best players for most of the time.

Jota’s main problem is his lack of pace. He looks extremely sluggish, but he’s a clever player who can make things work without skinning a player Gabby Agbonlahor style.

37 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

It’s way too early to say he won’t make the step up. If there’s a couple of injuries then he will be used, and he may well chip in with goals and assists much like Grealish and El Ghazi have done without looking like our best players for most of the time.

Jota’s main problem is his lack of pace. He looks extremely sluggish, but he’s a clever player who can make things work without skinning a player Gabby Agbonlahor style.

I'm happy to stick my neck out on that, will never be good enough to start regularly at this level but can be effective back up.

We have good squad depth, and players like Jota have helped with that. I suspect Norwich would have liked a player of his ilk in their squad for last weekend.

He can play in the cup games against lower league sides, look good, and enable us to rest first team regulars. It also gives them a chance to develop and either challenge for a first team place (and remember, he's only played a few PL games, so it's early days), or we are likely to be able to sell him over the next couple of years for a profit. 

At worst, he's bought us time and allows us a bit of rotation in cup games, without having to do what Brighton did.
At best, he might just develop into a PL star.
Most likely - he'll be gone within 18 months at a small profit after helping us survive, giving us time to bring in a replacement with next years PL money.

• Like 3

Â