Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

We weren't even that good in the championship, constantly outplayed by teams with much inferior budgets and resources, not once did we look like seriously challenging for top two and for the most part were a mid table second division side that got promoted via the play-offs after an amazing run of form that could have been about momentum as much as anything else. In it's own way being down there was just as frustrating as our current form in the Premier league.

We should be able to eventually compete in the top flight, if teams like Palace, Burnley, Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth can do it, then so can we. If you look at the first eighteen years of the Premier league, we finished top eight on twelve occasions, or top six on nine occassions, it was only when Lerner gave up that we became a team that regularly battled against relegation, but now we've got owners willing to back the club again I see no reason why we can't get back to being a club that can realistically challenge in and around that top eight again, the hardest part will be making sure we don't come straight back down this season.

Edited by useless

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

We have been cheated out of 2 points. They could be massive come the end of the season.

We haven't been cheated. We only have ourselves to blame. Smith and his crap subs too late and son poor defending by mings a d e gels cost us.

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Genuinely miss the championship. Gone from looking forward to winning games and playing for potentially winning a competition to just clinging on for dear life in a league we will never win. Feels a bit pointless 

This is where I’m at as well. I genuinely can’t stand this league. 

It's such a f*** shame. 

Finally when we have owners that mean business we're going to ruin it all. If we can just survive this season i think we would seriously push on, but we are looking like a relegation team 100 %. Just the way we are choking games.

You would surely think Smith would have learned from that West Ham game but then the exactly same happens again, we get dominated by 10 men. I don't have any other words for it other than embarrassment.

This time last season Burnley and West Ham were on four points, and Newcastle were still on three points (a point less than we have now) after ten games, so it's still early and there's still a lot that can change. Next three games against Burnley, Norwich and Brighton are vitally important, need a few wins from those if we're going to avoid becoming entrenched in the bottom three.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's such a f*** shame. 

Finally when we have owners that mean business we're going to ruin it all. If we can just survive this season i think we would seriously push on, but we are looking like a relegation team 100 %. Just the way we are choking games.

You would surely think Smith would have learned from that West Ham game but then the exactly same happens again, we get dominated by 10 men. I don't have any other words for it other than embarrassment.

It's not March or April though? We were in much worse situations in two of the Lambert seasons. There are still things we can do about the situation. January transfer window will be huge I think. No messing about, we need to get top international striker in on loan. Other clubs battling relegation have done it in previous seasons and stayed up.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why is it we can score goals away tk arsenal and spurs get we struggling to get goals at home?

West ham away last game of the season won't be easy that's for sure so let's hope we are safe by then.

Because we struggle when teams sit back to defend against us. Our attacking movement at times is non-existent. Then in games like Spurs and Arsenal, the opposition wants to attack us and we're able to find space between their players.

I hope Smith finds a way to make us more effective at home, because it will quickly kill the good atmosphere that we see at VP if we keep struggling there.

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The Premier League table still gives me confidence:

Brighton and Norwich - 6

Newcastle - 5

Villa and Wolves - 4

Watford - 2

We will improve as the season goes on, will the others?

Watford and Wolves I think will be fine.

Are other team that I think will be sucked in thou.

Looking forward to the next 3 games, I have seen enough from this side to think we have the ability to get points against most teams in the league barring the top 4 or 5. Time to show it and it'd be nice if we also showed it against Brighton on Wednesday. 

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just read that auba goal shouldn't have stood either. What a effing joke. So we get robbed at palace, have this and a blatant handball not even looked at VAR.

When does it start evening itself again? Meh

Why would Auba's goal not have stood?

Guendouzi was already diving before Engels made the challenge too. We shouldn't have been in a position to lose the game but it's so frustrating when even with our stupid mistakes, we would have still got a result if there were competent officials.

Anyway, the doom and gloom in this thread is way over the top. It's 6 games. Nobody gets relegated after 6 games. We should honestly have like 5 more points if we weren't so wet behind the ears. Put it this way, I'm way more confident in this team avoiding the drop than all of our previous relegation threatened sides of yesteryear. And in 5 of those 6 years we managed to stay up. A couple of attacking reinforcements in January, by which time we are hopefully much more streetwise...and we'll see a completely different side than the one that had us sweating in the first couple of months of the season.

VAR is simply not working. Basically the ref on the pitch has, in many situations, absolved himself of the responsibility of making a difficult decision. He subconsciously, or consciously, thinks that the VAR ref, with the luxury of time and slow motion replays will make the right decision for him. Unfortunately the mindset of the VAR ref is that he doesn’t want to go against a fellow ref’s decision and in turn absolves himself also of responsibility. 

All they have done with VAR is add another layer of incompetence. Humans need to be taken out of the equation. The big moan that we often have with refs is that they’re not consistent, by adding another ref that adds to the inconsistency. 

Goal line technology is fine as that is a piece of technology that works. Refereeing by committee isn’t working and never will. Referees just need to be better, not given a get out clause. 

• Like 1