Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They were miles better in the first half. Yeah second half Southampton had lots of terrority and possession and all that but Bournemouth keeper didn't have that much to save.

Bournemouth might sneak into top 10, Southampton is a side who we really should be looking to finish above I think in that bottom six group.

Still got battered, as they did against us. Just poor finishing from Soton and Villa. If we were as clinical as them we would have won

3 hours ago, useless said:

Time to grow a heart and aim for better than just surviving. If we finish the season and just surviving is what we end up doing, we can look back and be philosophical about it and say 'that will do for our first season back', but in the meantime we can be more ambitious as I'm sure Smith will agree.

That’s a really poor criticism - I don’t think you can be referring to Smith and the team because I’ve not yet seen him put a team on the pitch that isn’t looking to win the game, so by elimination I guess it is the fans ( or the section of them that believe that ‘surviving’ in the PL in our first season would be a good performance) that need to “grow a heart”

Its great to be ambitious and if all it took to succeed was to wishing it so, then we could be targeting the CL next season but that’s not the way it works

We got promoted from 5th place in the Championship and during the summer saw around 30 players come and go and are now competing in one of the highest quality leagues in the world. Most premier league teams have stronger squads than we do. With that background in mind and the fact that we are very much a work in progress I will be delighted if we can finish 17th this season

If we can finish better than that then that would be fantastic and with some luck a much more comfortable position may be possible but if we avoid relegation and can build again for next season that will be fine for me

• Like 2

I thought it was a magnificently refreshing alternative to people constantly playing down our chances and lowering expectations, and acting like fraidy cats. I bet if another team had have spent what we did in the summer in the same circumstances most on here would be saying that they should be looking to avoid a relegation fight altogether. If at the end of the season we've managed to survie then that will be a season well done, but in the mean time we can aim for higher than that, doing so will probably be our best chance of surviving anyway.

Defeats for Norwich, Sheffield United, Watford and Newcastle should be good for us today. Newcastle losing if only to keep us out of the relegation zone, but Brighton losing that game or it ending up in a draw might not be the worst result for us in the long run.

Edited by useless

Watford losing by three goals already. They'll probably be comfortably midtable by the end of the season, but whilst they're beneath us in the table them taking a battering to their goal difference is good for us.

21 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I really don't like City. All this insane dominance is all because they won the owner lottery and got in before Financial "Fair" Play.

The championship probably think the same about us. 

Just now, Mantis said:

It's not quite the same level though is it?

The likes of Bolton, Burton and Rotherham would argue otherwise. 

I thought it was a magnificently refreshing alternative to people constantly playing down our chances and lowering expectations, and acting like fraidy cats. I bet if another team had have spent what we did in the summer in the same circumstances most on here would be saying that they should be looking to avoid a relegation fight altogether. If at the end of the season we've managed to survie then that will be a season well done, but in the mean time we can aim for higher than that, doing so will probably be our best chance of surviving anyway.

Sorry but this isn’t making any sense at all. On average we spent around £10m a player which is peanuts in PL terms - I’m relatively happy with the signings we made but we have been buying Burnley’s third choice keeper, Bournemouth’s fourth choice CB and players from middling Belgian and Egyptian teams. We’ve got a lower end of the PL squad with a little potential not a squad that can “forget about relegation altogether”  

We’ve taken a positive approach in every game and I think will continue to do so but the reality is that 17th will be a great season for us and all the positive willpower in the world won’t change that

• Like 2

Looking from the outside to a newly promoted club that had to completely rebuild it's squad by buying minimum 11 players for £140m in today's market my first thought would not be "They should be aiming for top half". I'd be thinking more along the lines of it being very possible for the wheels to fall off that particularly expensive wagon, the kind of player turnover we were forced into is exceptionally high risk. So far Smith seems to be holding it together nicely. 

As for the grow a heart comments, that's weird surely? We've been all "heart" for ages, since Smith got us going and got the fans on board and everything started clicking last season. Smith played 2 up top with 10 men FFS, not many would have the "heart" to be trying to win in that position. Don't understand that at all. Smith aims to win every game, he is instilling that spirit in to the players too. The simple facts of the matter though, looking at it objectively is that we are not at Man City's level and cannot expect to win every game. That's not a lack of heart, and certainly not from the club, it's a more objective view from outside.

Heaton turned Burnley's  season around last year and they didn't want to sell him, most of their fans  wanted him as first choice this season, Bournemouth signed Mings as a wing-back which was the position he was playing for Ipswich, only reason he couldn't get in their team was because after his injuries he lost a bit of pace that meant he was no longer as affective in that position, we paid £20m plus for him no point in playing that signing down. Also this idea of us spending an average of £10m on each of our players doesn't really work as an excuse to play down our chances either we paid £20m plus for both Mings and Wesley, we paid £16m for Luiz and most were of the opinion that he was worth more, we paid paid £17m for Targett, if we were to sell either McGinn or Grealish you'd be looking at big money for the both of them. It's not as if our team is built up of players with a market value of £10m.

• Like 2